Dang German glass

Correct, some zeiss is US made meopta.

The new Leica's are made in USA by a third party, then shipped to Germany for QA, then shipped back. Sporting gear is all made in Portugal.

Swarovski is Swarovski of Austria however. The only non-sellout in the trio.
An old thread but interesting.
I could be mistaken but I thought Swarovski Z3 we’re assembled in America to keep costs down. But they still have great glass.

One way (kind of) around the law of economics is to buy quality in small numbers rather than mediocrity in large numbers. I have a z6i 1-6 on my .404 and a z6i 1.7-10 on my 30-06. Try as I might, I can't come up with any other rifles I need for hunting.

If I just had to have a dozen hunting rifles, I couldn't afford great glass for them. And I'd probably be looking for a 13th rifle because I wouldn't be satisfied. Two hunting rifles with excellent glass and I don't feel any need to buy a third.
Run a poll on here and see how many people have stuck to 2 hunting rifles.

I know, it’s actually very sensible and you have aligned the laws of economics and the laws of logic to achieve this.

I’m wondering why you haven’t copped any flack over this here though.

I only have a handful but unfortunately I’m always scheming something better. A better chambering choice or a better scope.

An old thread but interesting.
I could be mistaken but I thought Swarovski Z3 we’re assembled in America to keep costs down. But they still have great glass.
I do have any Z3’s, but do have some Z6’s, 1.7-10x42’s that have assembled in the USA on them.

That should have read, “ I do Not have any Z3’s “
Understood the technology tries to interpret what we are trying to write.
They use the term artificial intelligence. They should put an emphasis on “artificial”

In my experience Swarovski it tops, Leica maybe slightly below. Then Zeiss. After that I don't know, but on the run of the mill scopes they are light years below.

If I just had to have a dozen hunting rifles, I couldn't afford great glass for them. And I'd probably be looking for a 13th rifle because I wouldn't be satisfied. Two hunting rifles with excellent glass and I don't feel any need to buy a third.
Run a poll on here and see how many people have stuck to 2 hunting rifles.
My wife and I have done this very thing...trimmed down.
We sold all of our other bolt action rifles and now have only 2 rilfes*.
*Those 2 rifles are Blaser R8's so we have 4 calibers to choose from.
The 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM all have Swaro Z8i's.
The 22lr has a Leupold from one of my past rifles.

I know this isn't for everyone, because there are many shooting disciplines.
PRS, Benchrest, Air Rilfe, Blackpowder...etc.
But all we really do is hunt and practice hunting positions at the range.

In the end...I'd rather have fewer of the top quality, than more of lower quality.

My wife and I have done this very thing...trimmed down.
We sold all of our other bolt action rifles and now have only 2 rilfes*.
*Those 2 rifles are Blaser R8's so we have 4 calibers to choose from.
The 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM all have Swaro Z8i's.
The 22lr has a Leupold from one of my past rifles.

I know this isn't for everyone, because there are many shooting disciplines.
PRS, Benchrest, Air Rilfe, Blackpowder...etc.
But all we really do is hunt and practice hunting positions at the range.

In the end...I'd rather have fewer of the top quality, than more of lower quality.
There is nothing wrong with sticking to fewer rifles. I don’t be think many here could do it. That’s why I said run a Poll

I Could probably get away with fewer rifles. I haven’t used my .223 in ages but it has a purpose. I am going to build a .280ai. If I had to thin out it might be one that would just be a hunting rifle and be ok for most of Australia.

I’m running a few Tikka and trying to put decent glass on most.

I see the benefit of Blaser for those travelling internationally but just a barrel costs more than one Tikka.

I would like to try a Blaser but if I bought one I would want several barrels and accessories and the price goes up. It’s out of reach for me.

It’s just a hobby so there is no financial gain for me but we have to have some enjoyment in life.

One rifle might do most of what I need but I will hold a few while I can, I will sell them off as a i age I’m going to enjoy them for a bit longer.

It’s a rainy day so i will do some reloading and might clean a couple of rifles.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to fewer rifles. I don’t be think many here could do it. That’s why I said run a Poll

I Could probably get away with fewer rifles. I haven’t used my .223 in ages but it has a purpose. I am going to build a .280ai. If I had to thin out it might be one that would just be a hunting rifle and be ok for most of Australia.

I see the benefit of Blaser for those travelling internationally but just a barrel costs more than one Tikka.

I would like to try a Blaser but if I bought one I would want several barrels and accessories and the price goes up. It’s out of reach for me.

It’s just a hobby so there is no financial gain for me but we have to have some enjoyment in life.

One rifle might do most of what I need but I will hold a few while I can, I will sell them off as a i age I’m going to enjoy them for a bit longer.

It’s a rainy day so i will do some reloading and might clean a couple of rifles.
Yeah, pretty sure I'd be in the minority of that poll.

I've heard it compared to golfing.
All the clubs in the bag...each one has a purpose.
However it could be argued that a good 7 iron could do it all in a pinch.

Meopta are good scopes, I think just a tad better than Zeiss Conquest and noticeably better than Leupold.

Meopta are good scopes, I think just a tad better than Zeiss Conquest and noticeably better than Leupold.
I thought I read Meopta made the Zeiss conquest line.

I do have Meopta, they suite a purpose at a price I could afford. They are clear and decent in low light

I read that here, but have not heard it before. It could be true, I don't know. I have 3 or 4 Meo scopes and all are very good and affordable.

I am definitely not a 2 rifle guy. Granted, I may only actually hunt with a very few. But, I do enjoy firearms. So, the 2 or 3 rifle battery concepts are not my cup of tea.
I have a few that are purely for fun.
I do have some that I bought as donor rifles, for the "next near perfect" rifle. These probably could hit the market place. I think for above 30 caliber, I have beat the "next near perfect" sufficiently.

I have 1 zeiss scope. A 4.5x14 conquest. Saved quite awhile for it.
Maybe it's just a fluke but although it was my finest scope in full daylight for clarity and brightness. It's actually my worst in low light.
Fades out the fastest and actually gets hazy.
I put it on a 270wsm set up for antelope hunting where low light has never been an issue.

The Conquest (and Terra) linese is nothing near german-made Zeiss om optimal performance.

As I said, my main interest was in improving my scope for that rifle. The thirty-year scope would probably inevitably lose out. I just didn't expect the difference to be that great.

I do have the current (2015) Leupold VX3 2.5-8x, which I plan to test against the Swaro later this summer. It's on a 7mm-08 rifle, though, which will punch smaller holes than the .300. I suppose I should buy another .308 caliber rifle to put it on. Hard to acquire enough gear to do real test-offs.
If you can see a .016" difference at 100 yards you don't need a scope ;-)

I think some of my friends put the cart before the horse--they buy the best they can for the rifles they actually use the least. Not to say those rifles are not important for some stellar hunt, but most of the rifles they use the most are more modest in price, and in scope quality. My point is, why not put the best optics on what you use the MOST, and yes that includes rimfire rifles! I can tell you that it is a real pleasure to have a Zeiss scope on a .22!
Also, I REALLLY LIKE my 3-12x56 Zeiss HT. I can see things, especially low light that these old eyes just can't deal with using cheaper optics. The exit pupil may be great on my Zeiss 1x4x24, but it still doesn't compare to the big glass. I don't have to know WHY.

I think some of my friends put the cart before the horse--they buy the best they can for the rifles they actually use the least. Not to say those rifles are not important for some stellar hunt, but most of the rifles they use the most are more modest in price, and in scope quality. My point is, why not put the best optics on what you use the MOST, and yes that includes rimfire rifles! I can tell you that it is a real pleasure to have a Zeiss scope on a .22!
Also, I REALLLY LIKE my 3-12x56 Zeiss HT. I can see things, especially low light that these old eyes just can't deal with using cheaper optics. The exit pupil may be great on my Zeiss 1x4x24, but it still doesn't compare to the big glass. I don't have to know WHY.
I like to tax myself and use lesser glass on my .22lr.
Force myself to concentrate and focus on the target.
That way I have no excuses when I move to the centerfire rifles.

I still love my Leupolds but I now have two Z8’s and there is simply nothing like them. It will spoil you for sure. You just don’t know what you don’t know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.