Dang German glass

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Correct, some zeiss is US made meopta.

The new Leica's are made in USA by a third party, then shipped to Germany for QA, then shipped back. Sporting gear is all made in Portugal.

Swarovski is Swarovski of Austria however. The only non-sellout in the trio.
An old thread but interesting.
I could be mistaken but I thought Swarovski Z3 we’re assembled in America to keep costs down. But they still have great glass.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
One way (kind of) around the law of economics is to buy quality in small numbers rather than mediocrity in large numbers. I have a z6i 1-6 on my .404 and a z6i 1.7-10 on my 30-06. Try as I might, I can't come up with any other rifles I need for hunting.

If I just had to have a dozen hunting rifles, I couldn't afford great glass for them. And I'd probably be looking for a 13th rifle because I wouldn't be satisfied. Two hunting rifles with excellent glass and I don't feel any need to buy a third.
Run a poll on here and see how many people have stuck to 2 hunting rifles.

I know, it’s actually very sensible and you have aligned the laws of economics and the laws of logic to achieve this.

I’m wondering why you haven’t copped any flack over this here though.

I only have a handful but unfortunately I’m always scheming something better. A better chambering choice or a better scope.

ldmay375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
An old thread but interesting.
I could be mistaken but I thought Swarovski Z3 we’re assembled in America to keep costs down. But they still have great glass.
I do have any Z3’s, but do have some Z6’s, 1.7-10x42’s that have assembled in the USA on them.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
That should have read, “ I do Not have any Z3’s “
Understood the technology tries to interpret what we are trying to write.
They use the term artificial intelligence. They should put an emphasis on “artificial”

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
In my experience Swarovski it tops, Leica maybe slightly below. Then Zeiss. After that I don't know, but on the run of the mill scopes they are light years below.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
If I just had to have a dozen hunting rifles, I couldn't afford great glass for them. And I'd probably be looking for a 13th rifle because I wouldn't be satisfied. Two hunting rifles with excellent glass and I don't feel any need to buy a third.
Run a poll on here and see how many people have stuck to 2 hunting rifles.
My wife and I have done this very thing...trimmed down.
We sold all of our other bolt action rifles and now have only 2 rilfes*.
*Those 2 rifles are Blaser R8's so we have 4 calibers to choose from.
The 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM all have Swaro Z8i's.
The 22lr has a Leupold from one of my past rifles.

I know this isn't for everyone, because there are many shooting disciplines.
PRS, Benchrest, Air Rilfe, Blackpowder...etc.
But all we really do is hunt and practice hunting positions at the range.

In the end...I'd rather have fewer of the top quality, than more of lower quality.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
My wife and I have done this very thing...trimmed down.
We sold all of our other bolt action rifles and now have only 2 rilfes*.
*Those 2 rifles are Blaser R8's so we have 4 calibers to choose from.
The 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM all have Swaro Z8i's.
The 22lr has a Leupold from one of my past rifles.

I know this isn't for everyone, because there are many shooting disciplines.
PRS, Benchrest, Air Rilfe, Blackpowder...etc.
But all we really do is hunt and practice hunting positions at the range.

In the end...I'd rather have fewer of the top quality, than more of lower quality.
There is nothing wrong with sticking to fewer rifles. I don’t be think many here could do it. That’s why I said run a Poll

I Could probably get away with fewer rifles. I haven’t used my .223 in ages but it has a purpose. I am going to build a .280ai. If I had to thin out it might be one that would just be a hunting rifle and be ok for most of Australia.

I’m running a few Tikka and trying to put decent glass on most.

I see the benefit of Blaser for those travelling internationally but just a barrel costs more than one Tikka.

I would like to try a Blaser but if I bought one I would want several barrels and accessories and the price goes up. It’s out of reach for me.

It’s just a hobby so there is no financial gain for me but we have to have some enjoyment in life.

One rifle might do most of what I need but I will hold a few while I can, I will sell them off as a i age I’m going to enjoy them for a bit longer.

It’s a rainy day so i will do some reloading and might clean a couple of rifles.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
There is nothing wrong with sticking to fewer rifles. I don’t be think many here could do it. That’s why I said run a Poll

I Could probably get away with fewer rifles. I haven’t used my .223 in ages but it has a purpose. I am going to build a .280ai. If I had to thin out it might be one that would just be a hunting rifle and be ok for most of Australia.

I see the benefit of Blaser for those travelling internationally but just a barrel costs more than one Tikka.

I would like to try a Blaser but if I bought one I would want several barrels and accessories and the price goes up. It’s out of reach for me.

It’s just a hobby so there is no financial gain for me but we have to have some enjoyment in life.

One rifle might do most of what I need but I will hold a few while I can, I will sell them off as a i age I’m going to enjoy them for a bit longer.

It’s a rainy day so i will do some reloading and might clean a couple of rifles.
Yeah, pretty sure I'd be in the minority of that poll.

I've heard it compared to golfing.
All the clubs in the bag...each one has a purpose.
However it could be argued that a good 7 iron could do it all in a pinch.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Meopta are good scopes, I think just a tad better than Zeiss Conquest and noticeably better than Leupold.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Meopta are good scopes, I think just a tad better than Zeiss Conquest and noticeably better than Leupold.
I thought I read Meopta made the Zeiss conquest line.

I do have Meopta, they suite a purpose at a price I could afford. They are clear and decent in low light

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I read that here, but have not heard it before. It could be true, I don't know. I have 3 or 4 Meo scopes and all are very good and affordable.

ldmay375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I am definitely not a 2 rifle guy. Granted, I may only actually hunt with a very few. But, I do enjoy firearms. So, the 2 or 3 rifle battery concepts are not my cup of tea.
I have a few that are purely for fun.
I do have some that I bought as donor rifles, for the "next near perfect" rifle. These probably could hit the market place. I think for above 30 caliber, I have beat the "next near perfect" sufficiently.

Wade J VanGinkel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have 1 zeiss scope. A 4.5x14 conquest. Saved quite awhile for it.
Maybe it's just a fluke but although it was my finest scope in full daylight for clarity and brightness. It's actually my worst in low light.
Fades out the fastest and actually gets hazy.
I put it on a 270wsm set up for antelope hunting where low light has never been an issue.

GuttormG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
The Conquest (and Terra) linese is nothing near german-made Zeiss om optimal performance.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImaEhrhart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J