Dallas Safari Club convention - Is it worth the trip?

DillonG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
None
I am not for sure if this is the correct place for this post. I have never been to the DSC convention and am curious if it is worth the trip. I would need to fly down and am curious if any members frequent the convention and can provide their opinion.

I also understand that this is an odd year, so it may not happen. I am speaking in terms of past years when it actually goes off.

Ask @norfolk shooter . He came from the UK for it. I used to fly in from GA but live here in Texas now. Lots of folks travel to come.

Worth if for the AH dinner alone, IMO.

Well worth it. I really hope it comes off this year. To me it all hinges on the ability of our African friends to get there. The AH dinner is not to be missed.

I talked to Kameron at DSC last week. Tickets should be on sale around 11/16. Capacity is being restricted (at the time of conversation) to 60%. I’m going and hoping for the best. @norfolk shooter will not make it this year. Unless I’ve missed something, the AH dinner has been cancelled. Are we planning to do anything?

Reactions: WAB
I talked to Kameron at DSC last week. Tickets should be on sale around 11/16. Capacity is being restricted (at the time of conversation) to 60%. I’m going and hoping for the best. @norfolk shooter will not make it this year. Unless I’ve missed something, the AH dinner has been cancelled. Are we planning to do anything?

I sure hope so!

And I skipped the original question. Yes, I think DSC is worth attending. I don't know what it will be like this year concerning exhibitors. I suspect it will be smaller. regardless, it will great to see many of you and have some good BBQ.

I live in Dallas and have been going to the DSC Convention every year for many, many years. First attended back in 1987 when I booked my first hunt in Namibia/SWA. It's a great event with hundreds of exhibitors that include hunting outfitters, gun dealers showing beautiful rifles and shotguns, and hunting gear of all kinds. Looking forward to it again in February 2021 so I can connect with my outfitter for my hunt in Limpopo in July.

I would be a first timer. I can agree that the AH dinner would be great to finally meet some of you other than just chatting on the forum.
Are there deals given by vendors during the convention? Specifically, hunts and rifle sales.

IMHO - Its the best show of the season. I wouldn’t miss it for anything! Always the highlight of my year.

I went for first time last year. I was really impressed. I will definitely go again. It can be overwhelming though, I would research who you want to speak to and make it a point to visit with them, then after you’ve finished that you can continue making most of the show.

The first time I went I figured on driving 4 hours to get there, spend a few hours and drive home that night. HA! The following year I got a hotel for 2 nights and still didn't get to see everything. It is well worth the trip. The AH dinner is worth it as well. There is usually a list of vendors on their website and a map. I suggest you make a list and their location and visit with them first.

This year is different, I've no idea as to what will happen. If the outfitters can't get here then it may be limited to only the US outfitters & vendors.

I am still not confirming my trip yet. Too many unknowns and I have to be concerned about my grand kids and my old ass. I will hate having to miss it. If I do it will be the first time in 8 years. Time will tell.

I’m waiting to commit until I see what my friends from Africa are doing. If they can’t make it I will likely stay home this year.

If vendors will be there, then I will be there.

Does anybody go to any of the banquets? Worthwhile?

I used to.. but haven’t in the last 3 years..

They can be fun if you enjoy attending the auctions live..

The food is always decent.. and it’s a good opportunity to meet a few people...

But for me once I had done it a few times, it was enough...

I enjoy the AH dinner ... other than that I pretty much plan to spend evenings with friends that come in from out of town these days..

Yes it is worth it! I went for my first time last year. WOW! Got to meet a lot of AHers at the dinner and during the show. I am planning on going next year. Just to see some friends and hopefully we have an AH get together.

I would be a first timer. I can agree that the AH dinner would be great to finally meet some of you other than just chatting on the forum.
Are there deals given by vendors during the convention? Specifically, hunts and rifle sales.

Yes, there are deals to be had on equipment. Even better is you can actually touch and handle all the items so you get a good sense of if something is worth the money. There are so many vendors that if you are shopping for something hunting related, I bet it will be there. Some deals get really good on the last day, last few hours.

The first time I went I figured on driving 4 hours to get there, spend a few hours and drive home that night. HA! The following year I got a hotel for 2 nights and still didn't get to see everything. It is well worth the trip. The AH dinner is worth it as well. There is usually a list of vendors on their website and a map. I suggest you make a list and their location and visit with them first.

This year is different, I've no idea as to what will happen. If the outfitters can't get here then it may be limited to only the US outfitters & vendors.

This is so true! You can’t begin to imagine how much is there until you finish an 8 hour day of walking and talking and realize how many things you missed and had to go back for. Plan two days, two nights for sure. I’ve done SCI twice and DSC once. My dad and I convinced my mom to attend, and she loved it. She doesn’t hunt. I brought my wife and a hunting buddy last year, and my parents attended again. It is a good weekend to get excited and planning for hunting when the season has ended.

As for the 2021 convention?? I don’t know if I’ll go, which is sad to say. I’ll wait to see if my PH will be there, if so, I’d say I’m a 50/50 to attend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg