Dallas Safari Club convention - Is it worth the trip?

DillonG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
None
I am not for sure if this is the correct place for this post. I have never been to the DSC convention and am curious if it is worth the trip. I would need to fly down and am curious if any members frequent the convention and can provide their opinion.

I also understand that this is an odd year, so it may not happen. I am speaking in terms of past years when it actually goes off.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Ask @norfolk shooter . He came from the UK for it. I used to fly in from GA but live here in Texas now. Lots of folks travel to come.

Worth if for the AH dinner alone, IMO.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Well worth it. I really hope it comes off this year. To me it all hinges on the ability of our African friends to get there. The AH dinner is not to be missed.

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
I talked to Kameron at DSC last week. Tickets should be on sale around 11/16. Capacity is being restricted (at the time of conversation) to 60%. I’m going and hoping for the best. @norfolk shooter will not make it this year. Unless I’ve missed something, the AH dinner has been cancelled. Are we planning to do anything?

Reactions: WAB

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I talked to Kameron at DSC last week. Tickets should be on sale around 11/16. Capacity is being restricted (at the time of conversation) to 60%. I’m going and hoping for the best. @norfolk shooter will not make it this year. Unless I’ve missed something, the AH dinner has been cancelled. Are we planning to do anything?

I sure hope so!

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
And I skipped the original question. Yes, I think DSC is worth attending. I don't know what it will be like this year concerning exhibitors. I suspect it will be smaller. regardless, it will great to see many of you and have some good BBQ.

chashardy

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I live in Dallas and have been going to the DSC Convention every year for many, many years. First attended back in 1987 when I booked my first hunt in Namibia/SWA. It's a great event with hundreds of exhibitors that include hunting outfitters, gun dealers showing beautiful rifles and shotguns, and hunting gear of all kinds. Looking forward to it again in February 2021 so I can connect with my outfitter for my hunt in Limpopo in July.

DillonG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
None
I would be a first timer. I can agree that the AH dinner would be great to finally meet some of you other than just chatting on the forum.
Are there deals given by vendors during the convention? Specifically, hunts and rifle sales.

JES Adventures

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.ranchinvestments.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Life Member of DSC, NRA and SCI
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
IMHO - Its the best show of the season. I wouldn’t miss it for anything! Always the highlight of my year.

375Fox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
I went for first time last year. I was really impressed. I will definitely go again. It can be overwhelming though, I would research who you want to speak to and make it a point to visit with them, then after you’ve finished that you can continue making most of the show.

Countrylife

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, Namibia, Spain
The first time I went I figured on driving 4 hours to get there, spend a few hours and drive home that night. HA! The following year I got a hotel for 2 nights and still didn't get to see everything. It is well worth the trip. The AH dinner is worth it as well. There is usually a list of vendors on their website and a map. I suggest you make a list and their location and visit with them first.

This year is different, I've no idea as to what will happen. If the outfitters can't get here then it may be limited to only the US outfitters & vendors.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
I am still not confirming my trip yet. Too many unknowns and I have to be concerned about my grand kids and my old ass. I will hate having to miss it. If I do it will be the first time in 8 years. Time will tell.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
I’m waiting to commit until I see what my friends from Africa are doing. If they can’t make it I will likely stay home this year.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
If vendors will be there, then I will be there.

Uncle Sauce

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
GOA, RMGO, FRGC, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US: CO, ID, MT, NY, OR, VA, WA, WY
Does anybody go to any of the banquets? Worthwhile?

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
I used to.. but haven’t in the last 3 years..

They can be fun if you enjoy attending the auctions live..

The food is always decent.. and it’s a good opportunity to meet a few people...

But for me once I had done it a few times, it was enough...

I enjoy the AH dinner ... other than that I pretty much plan to spend evenings with friends that come in from out of town these days..

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Yes it is worth it! I went for my first time last year. WOW! Got to meet a lot of AHers at the dinner and during the show. I am planning on going next year. Just to see some friends and hopefully we have an AH get together.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I would be a first timer. I can agree that the AH dinner would be great to finally meet some of you other than just chatting on the forum.
Are there deals given by vendors during the convention? Specifically, hunts and rifle sales.

Yes, there are deals to be had on equipment. Even better is you can actually touch and handle all the items so you get a good sense of if something is worth the money. There are so many vendors that if you are shopping for something hunting related, I bet it will be there. Some deals get really good on the last day, last few hours.

The first time I went I figured on driving 4 hours to get there, spend a few hours and drive home that night. HA! The following year I got a hotel for 2 nights and still didn't get to see everything. It is well worth the trip. The AH dinner is worth it as well. There is usually a list of vendors on their website and a map. I suggest you make a list and their location and visit with them first.

This year is different, I've no idea as to what will happen. If the outfitters can't get here then it may be limited to only the US outfitters & vendors.

This is so true! You can’t begin to imagine how much is there until you finish an 8 hour day of walking and talking and realize how many things you missed and had to go back for. Plan two days, two nights for sure. I’ve done SCI twice and DSC once. My dad and I convinced my mom to attend, and she loved it. She doesn’t hunt. I brought my wife and a hunting buddy last year, and my parents attended again. It is a good weekend to get excited and planning for hunting when the season has ended.

As for the 2021 convention?? I don’t know if I’ll go, which is sad to say. I’ll wait to see if my PH will be there, if so, I’d say I’m a 50/50 to attend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeraDalzie

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...