Dallas Gun Stores

I will be in Dallas next week for business.which gun stores to visit? Thanks
Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods comes to mind first. My FIL took me there when I was dating my wife. It's on Singleton Blvd and in a not so nice part of town. When you pull up and park, you will not be impressed. When you go inside however, well it's a throwback with the hardware part.

I guess you just have to experience it to appreciate it.

Depends on what youre looking for..

If you're looking for a wide variety of firearms to peruse, the best options are probably the Scheels in The Colony, and the Cabelas in Allen... (both on the north end of the metroplex.. The TX Gun Experience in Grapevine isn't a bad option either.. they don't have the same inventory that Scheels has.. but its a cool gunshop/range/gunsmith locale that's worth seeing (IMO)...

If you want to see stuff that's not readily available in most places.. The Beretta Gallery and the Holland and Holland Gun Room in Dallas is pretty cool to check out..

Something a bit off the wall, and not in a particularly great part of town, and not a fancy shop by any means.. would be to check out McClelland Gun Shop.. several local DSC folk use McClelland for gunsmithing services.. as a result they often have a couple of things on the shelf that arent typical for other local gun shops (big bore rifles, hard to find ammo, etc)...

The Cabelas in Fort Worth is probably worth seeing also if you have never been there.. but honestly, its really just "more of the same" as what you find at the Allen store (just larger inventory of the same items).. they do have a huge amount of taxidermy in the Ft Worth store though that's pretty cool/unique..

FWIW, I live within walking distance of the Cabelas in Allen... there's literally a city built walking trail that connects my subdivision to the shopping complex where Cabelas is located... but 9 out of 10 times if I am actually wanting to buy something these days, I hit the Scheels over in The Colony.. its a 15 minute drive.. but well worth it (typically better selection at better prices, etc)...

This reminds me that though I live in the Dallas area, I have not been in a gun store in many YEARS.
Reckon that means I have enough guns?

This post did remind me of Rays where I bought my first big bore revolver.

Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods comes to mind first. My FIL took me there when I was dating my wife. It's on Singleton Blvd and in a not so nice part of town. When you pull up and park, you will not be impressed. When you go inside however, well it's a throwback with the hardware part.

I guess you just have to experience it to appreciate it.
Ray's inadvertently let BORAT come in and film the sequence where he asks "will this gun kill a Jew?" I used to tease the guy who was waiting on him--he didn't even see the movie. Would you believe the same actor came in again, years later disguised as an old man from Yugoslavia....but before he could get going with his spiel, a young man said to him, "You're Borat, aren't you?" He took off out the door quicker than winter turns straight into 100 degree heat in Texas.

Last edited:
The Fort Worth cabelas has a very interesting Africa display with full body elephant, rhino, Cape buffalo, lions, eland, crocodile, plains game etc. Their fine gun room is a shadow of what it used to be, but still interesting. I was in there this morning and almost left with a Ruger safari in .375, but my looming taxidermy shipment convinced my conscience I didn’t need it.

Ray's inadvertently let BORAT come in and film the sequence where he asks "will this gun kill a Jew?" I used to tease the guy who was waiting on him--he didn't even see the movie. Would you believe the same actor came in again, years later disguised as an old man from Yugoslavia....but before he could get going with his spiel, a young man said to him, "You're Borat, aren't you?" He took off out the door quicker than winter turns straight into 100 degree heat in Texas.

Off topic.. but a number of years ago I managed a weekend long protective detail for this actor when he was in one of his other characters (Bruno)... He was doing his ruse on gangster rappers and also at a professional boxing match.. we then took him to a gunshow in Texarkana the next day...

We were there acting like we were part of the film crew, while making sure "Lil Capone" didn't bust a cap in his ass if/when it was discovered he was being duped..

Needless to say.. it was an interesting weekend lol..

To his credit, Cohen (actor) and his actual crew (not my guys) were genuinely gracious people that treated us very well (cant say Lil Capone got treated well lol), were genuinely funny as hell to be around even outside of filming, etc..

This is a great thread, and let's me know there are some DFW-area gun stores that I still haven't visited. Thanks for sharing!

Depends on what youre looking for..

If you're looking for a wide variety of firearms to peruse, the best options are probably the Scheels in The Colony, and the Cabelas in Allen... (both on the north end of the metroplex.. The TX Gun Experience in Grapevine isn't a bad option either.. they don't have the same inventory that Scheels has.. but its a cool gunshop/range/gunsmith locale that's worth seeing (IMO)...

If you want to see stuff that's not readily available in most places.. The Beretta Gallery and the Holland and Holland Gun Room in Dallas is pretty cool to check out..

Something a bit off the wall, and not in a particularly great part of town, and not a fancy shop by any means.. would be to check out McClelland Gun Shop.. several local DSC folk use McClelland for gunsmithing services.. as a result they often have a couple of things on the shelf that arent typical for other local gun shops (big bore rifles, hard to find ammo, etc)...

The Cabelas in Fort Worth is probably worth seeing also if you have never been there.. but honestly, its really just "more of the same" as what you find at the Allen store (just larger inventory of the same items).. they do have a huge amount of taxidermy in the Ft Worth store though that's pretty cool/unique..

FWIW, I live within walking distance of the Cabelas in Allen... there's literally a city built walking trail that connects my subdivision to the shopping complex where Cabelas is located... but 9 out of 10 times if I am actually wanting to buy something these days, I hit the Scheels over in The Colony.. its a 15 minute drive.. but well worth it (typically better selection at better prices, etc)...
Speaking of Scheel's in The Colony, I dropped by there today after lunch and a preowned Savage 116 stainless and synthetic 30-06 with a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope for only $399 damn near followed me home. I need another rifle like I need another hole in my head, but such a gun for 400 bucks is hard to pass up. ;-)

All good recommendations. Ray's is a real throwback. Stuff piled everywhere, but knowledgeable staff that is very friendly. Good gunsmiths upstairs. It's west of downtown on Singleton in an area that is undergoing transition into nice apartments and the Trinity Groves block of restaurants at the end of the Calatrava bridge over the Trinity River. Clyde Barrow's father's gas station was about three blocks away on Singleton, but was recently demolished by developers.
Beretta Gallery in Highland Park Village for fine Beretta shotguns and now Chapuis rifles and shotguns.
The H&H gun room is upstairs in the DeBoule Jewelry store about a half mile up Preston Road from the Beretta Gallery. Beautiful selection of Holland & Holland rifles and shotguns. Bring lots of money.
Scheel's and Cabela's are all way north of downtown Dallas, but Bass Pro is near DFW airport. If you have been to a Scheel's, Bass Pro, or Cabela's anywhere else, these are about the same.

McClelland's is a great shop particularly if you need to talk to a gunsmith. They also have a large display at DSC every year. But as most U.S. shops today, they have far to many ARs IMO. Need to go to London if you prefer walnut and blue.

Jackson Armory can be an interesting place to visit. It's on Rosedale Avenue in Dallas, to the east of H&H and the Beretta Gallery.

I would hit up the Heym guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!