Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
I was speaking with an outfitter that I used to work for who operates in the McKenzie mountains of the NWT. He has a last minute opening for Dall sheep on his first hunt of the year. Stan normally goes 100% on his sheep hunts with rams 11 averaging years old and close to 38" for many years. Largest ram taken last year was 44 1/2".

Price on this last minute hunt is negotiable. His normal rate for this hunt is $21,000 USD. Fees be paid directly to outfitter.

Outfiter: Stan Simpson - Ram Head Outfitters
Species: Dall sheep - no additional animals available on this hunt.

July 13 - Fly to base camp from Norman Wells NWT via charter plane.
July 14 - Fly to hunting area via Helicopter or Supercub.
July 15-23 - Hunt
July 24 - Fly back to Norman Wells via charter plane.

Included

- 1x1 Hunt - Heli or supercub assisted
- 10 hunting days +3 traveling days
- All meals and accomodations upon arrival in base camp

Not Included

- Flights to and from Norman Wells NWT
- Dall sheep tag $100 CAD
- Provincial trophy fee (if successful) $400 CAD
- Charter $2000 CAD
- Crating and shipment of trophies
- GST 5%

Last years newsletter with much additional info is located here
http://www.ramheadoutfitters.com/2012Newsletter.pdf

and Stans website is
Ram Head Outfitters - Northwest Territories

Interested persons can contact me diamondhitch@hotmail.com with any additional questions as Stan is currenty in the mountains preparing for hunting season. A complete list of references is available as well.

Thank you
Derek Ekdahl
diamondhitch@hotmail.com

a good deal would be $8000 an average price is $12,000. just wondering where $21,000 comes from. are you mistaking a kodiak island brown bear for a dall sheep? that is awfully high. surely there is a typo somewhere.

a good deal would be $8000 an average price is $12,000. just wondering where $21,000 comes from. are you mistaking a kodiak island brown bear for a dall sheep? that is awfully high. surely there is a typo somewhere.

Have seen that kind of price before and its always when a heli or a small plane are used between the camp and hunting area. Usually a lot cheaper when horses are used. Just my thoughts...

I was just checking some of these prices the other day and Dall & Stone Sheep in BC or NWT are running upwards of $30,000 with some Outfits with good hunting percentages I guess there are some that will pay it so 21,000 is not bad, and as he said "Price on this last minute hunt is negotiable."

It's a fair deal, hunting the Northwest Territories is not a cheap deal. Ever since Sept. 11, 2001, costs have gone throught the roof for fly in hunts.

The cost of this hunt is not 21,000. that is regular price, this last minute opening is open to reasonable offers.

These hunts are more expensive because of 2 things

1) Heli assist is more $$$ but much easier for those who can not walk as well and previously inaccessable country is available.
2) 100% or near 100% for many years running for rifle hunters and high percentage with archery as well versus the typical alaska 50/50 odds on rams that often average smaller and younger (although they can get VERY big in Alaska). If you have to go back a second time the price of a cheap ram hunt doubles.

Stan is normally fully booked and has been close through the entire recession, mostly with repeat customers. This is a high quality hunt that in all likelyhood you will be successful on a nice mature ram. You will not find a higher quality Dall sheep hunt.

me and several buddies have bookd seveal dall hunts and never pay over $13,000. u then only need to book a helicopter for $2,500/day and ur good. i still cant see anyone charging 21k especially for the mckenzie.

Wish I could make a reasonable offer.

When I retired I always wanted to go to the Northwest Territories and hunt Moose, Caribou, Dall Sheep, and maybe even have a chance at a grizzley. The prices have gotten so high that I started looking at Africa. I just got back from Namibia and can probably go back to Africa a couple more times for what one mixed bag hunt in Alaska or Western Canada would cost me.

Iwaters

Its the economy....everything is kind of upside down on this end of the street.

They've laid off a quarter of the domestic work force, 47 million people on food stamps but they are paying tanker drivers in the Eagleford, the Permian and the Dakotas $80 to 90,000 a year with full benefits.

These guys work like dogs, have no place to spend it and when they walk into the boss' office and say "I need some time off to go hunting" he doesn't have much choice in the matter because they both know that he can walk across the street and get the same job from a different company.

These are the guys that are driving hunting prices in North America and for the foreseeable future, I think that is just how its going to be

Mercifully, these guys can't get away long enough to prepare for or take a trip to Africa but they can get a 5 day hunt in South Texas or 7 - 10 days to Alaska without too much problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg