Dakota Model 10

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Russ-F, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Russ-F

Russ-F AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA (UK); Scottish Gamekeepers Association; English XX (Bisley); Sportsman’s Association.
    I’ve seen a Dakota Arms Model 10 single shot for sale at an attractive price the only snag is it’s chambered for the .223 which is of no real interest to me. On the other hand it’s probably the only Model 10 I’m likely to see for sale within reach & at the price I’d consider having a play with it as a .223 & then getting it re-barrelled in a larger calibre.

My question is - is there anything about the design of the Model 10 which makes it particularly difficult or impractical to change from a small diameter case like a .223 to say a .30-06 based case?

I know the Model 10 is available in up to .375 H&H but it doesn’t always follow that it’s possible to enlarge a small case sized extractor for instance to one suitable for large one (i.e. new parts may be required).

I’d be very interested to hear from anyone who’s done a small size to size medium case conversion on a Model 10 & also from anyone with general thoughts about the model.

Regards
    Russell

2. usicdom

usicdom New Member

Member of:
    sci
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, rsa, Namibia
    Overpriced Ruger no.1

3. jacques smith

jacques smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Couldn’t disagree more—I’ve owned a model 1 since 1976 and its not for sale but a Dakota is a totally different animal. Please call Scott or Ward at Dakota arms
    605-347-4686 with questions

Bullthrower338 likes this.

4. jacques smith

jacques smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Russell
    Guess I don’t know The Who or why of a 223 chambering but I truly believe Dakota is the North American answer to some of the best British rifles made at a more affordable price point. Best of luck.

Russ-F and Bullthrower338 like this.

5. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    Excellent rifle! Every example I have seen have been beautifully fit and function smooth as can be. Jacques is on point with the quality of the Dakota Rifles, there is much work that goes into these rifles and it shows through and through. I think the model 10 in a 223 would be wonderful and if I came across a good deal would not hesitate to snap it up.
    As with anything, for the right amount of good old fashioned greenbacks there are gunsmiths that just about anything for you. I’m sure you could change up to a medium sized cartridge but it may be quite cost prohibitive to do so. I would imagine it would cost about as much to do so as having hens teeth inlaid into the stock.
    I would personally be thankful that I could own a model 10, smile that I got a hell of a deal on it and fill my desire for that medium bore falling block with a good old No. 1, and in my opinion there is nothing shabby about a No. 1 or the man that hunts with one.
    Might call the boys at SSK and pick their brain.
    Good luck and God Bless,
    Cody

Russ-F and jacques smith like this.

6. Russ-F

Russ-F AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA (UK); Scottish Gamekeepers Association; English XX (Bisley); Sportsman’s Association.
    Thanks Jacques & Cody for your thoughts & advice.

Jacques, I’ll drop an email to Dakota to see if they are willing to offer any guidance as to the feasibility of re-barrelling in one of the various 6.5mm through to 30 cal rimmed cases.

I agree Cody that the .223 would be a wonderfully entertaining rifle & if I end up with the rifle in question I’d hope to make good use of the .223 barrel but at the back of my mind I have a vision of a nice light Alpine rifle chambered in something suitable for Chamois.

I had an early Ruger No.1 in 7x57 a few years ago & I can see why the No.1’s are popular.

Regards
    Russell

7. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    A No. 1 in 7x57 is a superb light rifle. What a great combination

8. jacques smith

jacques smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Mine is engraved ( made in the 200th year anniversary). In 270win. Not for sale fun little gun

Bullthrower338 likes this.