Dakota 97 - Tell Me About It

2L8

AH veteran
Reaction score
I know the 97 is the Red Headed Step Child of the Dakota Rifles but what can you tell me about it? I believe it's a Tubular Type Receiver (Nothing inherently wrong with that) with CRF?

Other than the fact that it's not a M98/M70 type receiver (and so not traditional) any basic design flaws?

I keep seeing these used at very attractive prices.

i do not have a 97, but do have a 76.
they seem to be the same action, the 97 having a round receiver, whilee the 76 has a flat bottom receiver.
the action is basically m70 in the rear, and mauser98 breeching, a good thing.
my 76 is lovely to use, being smooth and easy to load.
the mag release is m70, better than obendorf for reliability.it is said that you do not need to true up or blueprint a dakota, as all heat treating is done before machining.
the 2 issues i have with dakota are
1) the much touted bolt release can hook on your belt and come open unknown to you.
it is quite a shock when reloading to have the bolt come out of the receiver, as the release is also the bolt stop.
the original mauser release is far superior, and some have them fitted to dakotas.
2) the actions are made to very close tolerances.
for many applications this is superior, but if dust and oil gum up it can impair function, particularly of the ejector.
mine is possibly my favourite rile, but it is not a dangerous game rifle.
bruce.

I’ve got one in 400HH with Talley quick detach and savo 1.5—4. Blind mag and three coats of stock paint. Truly a dangerous game rifle that goes to frigid Alaska or tropical. Red headed stepchild it’s not. Seems more like a very useable tool as I tend to be rough on my gear.

I’ve got one in 400HH with Talley quick detach and savo 1.5—4. Blind mag and three coats of stock paint. Truly a dangerous game rifle that goes to frigid Alaska or tropical. Red headed stepchild it’s not. Seems more like a very useable tool as I tend to be rough on my gear.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just meant the 10 and 76 get all the buzz and as a result the 97's can sometimes be bought very reasonable at auction. Trying to see if it's a great rifle that's under appreciated or if their is a real reason (other than its not a 76).

Never had an issue with bolt release and have purposely tried to get it to jam—got it to hang once out of 200 fast try’s. Changed Ammo from round nose problem solved. Didn’t like mag release inside of trigger guard—blind mag—problem solved. I own some beautiful wood rifles but I grab this one often. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.