Dakota 76 458 Lott Inbound!!!

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Well.....I've done it again! I hit the BUY IT NOW button on a Dakota 76 458 Lott with a Steiner 1-5×24 Scope. Got a good deal on it I believe. This one may have a meeting with a Cape Buffalo this July and August....
20190401_215403.jpg
20190401_215457.jpg
20190401_215434.jpg

Beautiful! Rough and ready to lay the hammer down.

Good job Toby! Fine rifle!

Very nice! Big new boomstick!

Use it well!

Time to start talking about which .458 bullet for short range buff! :cool:

I always want to live on the fringes....so debating the relative merits of the 450gr A-Frame at ~2,350 vs the 550gr Woodleigh at ~2,200 (out of my 450 Dakota, YVMV).

I always want to live on the fringes....so debating the relative merits of the 450gr A-Frame at ~2,350 vs the 550gr Woodleigh at ~2,200 (out of my 450 Dakota, YVMV).

i suspect both will work pretty well on anything you point them at. assuming you hit where you are aiming. ;)

Time to start talking about which .458 bullet for short range buff! :cool:

I'm thinking 450 Swifts at 2200. Kind of an in between load. Should recoil about like a 416, but hit more like a 458.

That is a beauty of a rifle, congratulations.

I was wondering what the QD rings index from, like on a CZ there is a notch at the left rear of the receiver.
Is there some sort of notch under the rings that can't be seen?
Or are you even planning on leaving the scope attached at all and just shooting irons?
Or maybe go with a reflex or red dot sight?

Lots of choices between now and then.
Let us know how it shoots.

That is a beauty of a rifle, congratulations.

I was wondering what the QD rings index from, like on a CZ there is a notch at the left rear of the receiver.
Is there some sort of notch under the rings that can't be seen?
Or are you even planning on leaving the scope attached at all and just shooting irons?
Or maybe go with a reflex or red dot sight?

Lots of choices between now and then.
Let us know how it shoots.
Thanks!
The base has a small shoulder that prevents the ring from sliding forward. They are Talleys.
I will probably sell this scope and install a Leupold 1-5×20. The Steiner is said to be a great scope, but I am a Leupold man myself.

I do hope we don’t see this rifle at Toby’s fire sale or going out of business add in two months.

I do hope we don’t see this rifle at Toby’s fire sale or going out of business add in two months.
Ya neva know! Haha!
I haven't gotten it yet, so hopefully it fits me well, and I can shoot it ok. Never owned a Dakota before, and the deal was too good to pass up! It came with a Steiner 1-5×24 scope, Talley scope mounts, and several hundred dollars worth of bullets, brass and 2 sets of reloading dies.

I always like seeing pictures of the island in his kitchen.
My wife is starting to recognize the familiar counter top as well...kinda funny.
Will probably be seeing the counter top again with a Steiner scope on it.

I always like seeing pictures of the island in his kitchen.
My wife is starting to recognize the familiar counter top as well...kinda funny.
Will probably be seeing the counter top again with a Steiner scope on it.

I suspect That he never cooks in that kitchen and that is why the counter makes such a great photo area.

Congrats sir!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg