Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
Daily rate questions I am buffalo hunting in Mozambique then flying to South Africa for plains game for a few days and here is my question. I have finally convinced my brother to go with me but he is on a budget and has never hunted outside the states before all he wants is a kudu and to be an observer this is 14days total should he be charged full hunting daily rate, reduced rate, or observer rate with a higher trophy fee if he decides to shoot one animal

I have already booked his flight and we are hunting with the same PH/outfitter in both countries

I would like to know your input before I go a ask for something or shop for a differant outfitter in South Africa for us on a short hunt

I am thinking of asking the outfitter for observer rates with maybe a higher trophy fee for one animal is this to much to ask I will pe paying 1 on 1 rates already

Personally, I do not see any reason why your brother should be charged as a hunter. At worst, full hunting day rate for the day/s that he hunts, but still same trophy fee. This will be as long as he hunts with your PH. As soon as he hunts with his own guide, it becomes a different story.
Personally, I would not charge him anything else than an observer rate + trophy fees of whatever animals he decides to hunt.

Thanks Marius it will be with the same PH glade to hear your input

I am taking my daughter with me to SA for plains game. My PH/Outfitter/land owner is just charging her a reduced observer daily fee and the package price for the Kudu she wants. He will also give her the package price if she decides to take a couple more animals. She will hunt with me sharing a PH.

Thanks for the input I was thinking along the same lines as you guys observer rate only and trophy fee if he decided to shoot something I just wanted to make sure I was not out on a limb to check.

Hello Uintaelkhunter,
If he goes and only takes a Kudu I will have to take my hat off to him. I went with a budget for 5 animals came back with 8. Good luck on your hunt.

Personally, I do not see any reason why your brother should be charged as a hunter. At worst, full hunting day rate for the day/s that he hunts, but still same trophy fee. This will be as long as he hunts with your PH. As soon as he hunts with his own guide, it becomes a different story.
Personally, I would not charge him anything else than an observer rate + trophy fees of whatever animals he decides to hunt.

I agree 100% with Marius being family its the same as if it was your wife or son/daughter Observer rate plus trophy fee of animal you will be the main hunter in the party and paying full daily rates. what I would ask the outfitter is can you allow your brother to shoot one of your animals and put the kudu on your list/license.

He had better plan on several hunter days as taking only a kudu is highly unlikely even on a budget. Make sure he plans ahead for maybe a warthog and say impala. I went the first time planning on 8 and brought home 13! Hope you enjoy the trip and make sure you write about it here when you get back WITH PICTURES!

Hello Uintaelkhunter,
If he goes and only takes a Kudu I will have to take my hat off to him. I went with a budget for 5 animals came back with 8. Good luck on your hunt.

True I think he will want more but as he has never been he does not know what to expect but he will have to pry the gun from my hands first and I have a long list as always as I will be hunting buffalo kudu Suni grysbuck steenbuck in Moz and maybe elephant again if the chance comes up as well as blue wildebeest and gemsbuck in SA

He had better plan on several hunter days as taking only a kudu is highly unlikely even on a budget. Make sure he plans ahead for maybe a warthog and say impala. I went the first time planning on 8 and brought home 13! Hope you enjoy the trip and make sure you write about it here when you get back WITH PICTURES!

Cliffy I plan on making him suffer a few days and shoot with the camera instead it kinda payback for all the back country elk I end up packing out for him. he is the guy who always talks big about waiting for the right animal then shoots the first thing he sees

I don't know of a self respecting outfit in africa that would charge him hunter rates if you are both using the same guide. I took my entire family of 5. we all shot many animals. We were only charged one hunter rate per day. The rest were charged as observers. You also want to count his animals as yours on the tr2 so that all animals ship in the same crate.

Since your name is uintahunter I am assuming you are from Utah. That being said your brother is a free range type guy. This is the reason he's not too keen on hunting africa. I too was once a great self proclaimed DIY free range elk and deer hunter. Let me just say that a 5000 acre high fenced area in SA for plains game is far more challenging than hunting bull elk on an LE oil hunt in Utah. I've done both and theres a reason I've cut back so much on my elk hunts. Your brother will soon have his eyes opened to the fact that Utah hunting just plain sucks when compared to almost any other location on the globe. Tell him to take more money and get ready for an experience that will bankrupt him over the course of his life.

I don't know of a self respecting outfit in africa that would charge him hunter rates if you are both using the same guide. I took my entire family of 5. we all shot many animals. We were only charged one hunter rate per day. The rest were charged as observers. You also want to count his animals as yours on the tr2 so that all animals ship in the same crate.

Since your name is uintahunter I am assuming you are from Utah. That being said your brother is a free range type guy. This is the reason he's not too keen on hunting africa. I too was once a great self proclaimed DIY free range elk and deer hunter. Let me just say that a 5000 acre high fenced area in SA for plains game is far more challenging than hunting bull elk on an LE oil hunt in Utah. I've done both and theres a reason I've cut back so much on my elk hunts. Your brother will soon have his eyes opened to the fact that Utah hunting just plain sucks when compared to almost any other location on the globe. Tell him to take more money and get ready for an experience that will bankrupt him over the course of his life.

Yes Tony I am in Utah and you are right he liked the DIY hunts as do I in the States. We both have done bear and dear guided as well as he came with me on a bison hunt but he has never been out of the States before I have tried to get him to go the last 4 trips I have done. I have tried to tell him how it is also asked him to join the forum for some great info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg