D-Day

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Lee M, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Lee M

Lee M AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, USA, Canada
    IMG_0176.JPG

Imagine if one of these young men was your son on the morning of 6 June 1944. They all look like kids and it was likely the last few minutes of there life. Thank you to the “greatest generation” and all who have served on AH for making the world a better place!
    Lee M. USN ret.

2. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    You as well Naval Person. :whistle:

To all our absent comrades.

Joe T. USA ret.

3. LiegeRiver

LiegeRiver AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, B&C, NAHC, RMEF, APOS
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    Lest We Forget. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.
    Gord Trelnuk
    Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry ret.

Bullthrower338, Ridgewalker and Lee M like this.

4. BenKK

BenKK AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Late to reply but I did think about the event on the 6th and am extremely grateful for the liberation that followed in the months after.

Bullthrower338 and Ridgewalker like this.

5. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    I saw on TV where a 97 year old airborne again parachuted over the same place he did on D-Day. He landed hard and came up smiling. Yep, he still has 'em.

Bullthrower338, Lee M, BenKK and 3 others like this.

6. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    I was at Normandy on the 50th anniversary year later in May. We had a service lead by a Dutchman who was 14 on D-Day. It was a very humbling experience. Brought tears to all of those there.

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    I watched that as well. All guts.

LiegeRiver, Hogpatrol and BenKK like this.

8. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    My Grandfather lied about his age to "get in the fight" in the first war. He was 14. After being injured during some shelling he was sent him home by a Doctor that did not believe his story.
    I remember all the young people in those wars at every opportunity and say Thank you.

9. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    These men were part of the the greatest amphibious assault in the history of the world. Their action, over the next year, defeated Hitler and the Nazi army, bringing an end to the war in Europe.
    When the news was showing the US cemetery and all of the rows of crosses, how could you not only shed a tear, but beam with pride at what they accomplished?
    What brave men. They were truly part of the greatest generation.

10. PARA45

PARA45 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
    God Bless them all. This is indeed the greatest generation, not only what they did in the battle field, but for what they did when they came home.

OEL. USAF Ret.

11. Mort Hill

Mort Hill GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA, Zambia, Tanzania
    Amen!

LiegeRiver likes this.

12. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    A number of years ago I was getting my tires changed and struck up a conversation with an older gentleman. It turns out we both loved to fly and he told me about learning to fly in WWII. The pilots in the group will appreciate how incredible this is:

- his first solo before 10 hours, in a tail dragger!
    - into a fighter at 17 hours!
    - first carrier landing at 40 hours. He and two buddies landed. He made it, the second died, the third crashed, broke his back and shipped home.
    - he flew dive bombers at midway. Their squadron commander made them dive much steeper than what the airframe was rated for to reduce losses to jap fire on the attack run. So steep the rivets would pop in the root of the wings and have to be checked/repaired after every run. Dive hard, pull up, drop your load, fly out on the deck under the bow of the target to avoid AA.
    What do you say to that? These guys were all heroes!

13. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Truly these were the bravest of the brave. From a distant land come to free the good French people who suffered through Nazi occupation. Come to aid the British who withstood the Nazi onslaught almost by themselves for three years. In boats and in planes they came by the thousands to fight and sacrifice at a place most had never heard of before.
    History tells us that Sir Winston Churchill had proclaimed to parliament that the British people would never surrender and that they would fight on until the end if need be or until the “New World” in all its might came forth to once again liberate the “Old”. So it was that so many young men went to do their duty on the beaches of Normandy.
    I can not imagine the horrors they saw nor the pains they experienced! I do know for sure without any imagination that the hero’s of D Day spilled their blood for the cause of freedom.
    My father, would be 101 this July, was not at Normandy but served in the Pacific theater. He never spoke much of the ugliness of war but he saw his share. He taught his children to love our country and to never forget the fallen that gave us the freedom we enjoy.
    Thank you to all those who gave of themselves and served this nation in Uniform.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

14. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    There are times when I read something like this when I wonder just how did they get into the cockpit and sit in the seat of those planes.

Their cahonas were larger than watermelons.

LiegeRiver and WAB like this.