steve.pitts

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
U.S., Czech Republic, Eastern Cape
I just returned from three days in the Czech Republic RehBock hunting. This was my first RehBock hunt and it was a blast. I never expected to see so many RehBocks each time we were in the field. Three of us booked with Jagdvermittlung International (www.jagdland.de) for what I think is a good price which included two trophy's. Since we live in Germany and drove to CZ the entire trip was less than 1,000 euro each.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

We all had our quota before the last scheduled hunt. I got my two RehBocks as shown in the pics, and Tim picked up three trophy's, and Chuck got two, but unfortunately could not find his second RehBock. Our hunts consisted of high stands and stalks. I got both of mine from the high stand with each at 120 and 122 meters. Though my guide did not speak any English and I don't speak any Czech but we were still able to communicate sufficiently during the hunts.

In short, it was an inexpensive and fun trip that I would recommend to all.

Steve

Attachments

• 100_3012.jpg
    100_3012.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_3021.jpg
    100_3021.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_3024.jpg
    100_3024.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 204
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Steve and thanks for sharing your Roe Deer hunt in Czech Republic with us.

Little more detail

The first buck I got the first morning out. I was sitting in a high stand. Immediately in front of me is about 40 meters of grass and a small creek and then a plowed field with trees on the far side at 280 meters. About one hour into the hunt I looked up a doe and the buck were running from the tree line toward the left of myself and my guide. He was in another high side about 30 yards to my left. When the doe and buck reached the creek they stopped. The doe jumped and the buck stayed which gave me time to shoot. He was quartered to my left at 120 meters and I put the .235 grain bullet forward of his left shoulder exiting his right rib cage. He jumped into the creek and never came up. The bullet had taken half his heart.

The second buck was taken Monday evening. We walked from the guides home about 300 meters to the planted crops. Again we got up in the high stand (this one big enough for two) fully enclosed with holes cut out to glass the fields and crops. Looking out the front, left, and right is field/crops and from the back is the tree line which is about 80 meters at the closest point and stretches to the left at increasing distance. As luck would have it the buck came out the back left side where there was no seat to support a hunter. We placed a board across the stand and I had to lean forward to reach the window facing the rear. I was able to sight the buck and took the shot which he was feeding from the brush on the tree line quartering away from me. The bullet entered his left rib cage and exited his neck taking out his heart. He dropped like a sack of potatoes at 122 meters.

Unfortunately, since I was leaning forward I did not have the .375 nested securely in my shoulder. When I shot the rifle slid off my shoulder, the scope came back and caught we right between the eyes. Needles to say I bled like a stuck hog. After the guide and I stopped laughing and I stopped the bleeding we went and retrieved my buck.

Even with a minor cut and dent in my pride for letting the scope get me it was over all a great hunt.

watermark.php

Attachments

• 100_3023.jpg
    100_3023.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, I've had my "right between the eyes" stamped while shooting a Caracal!

Steve,

Fine trophy heads, thanks for sharing , sorry to see the scope cut on your forehead ,.375 H&H Mag does wallop at times , but it gave good treatment to the bucks.

Monish

Great looking Reh bocks! The Czech republic is one of those overlooked areas for hunting here in Europe. Congratulations on a fine hunt.

Sorry but I don’t think that scope bite is going to leave a big enough scar to justify too tall of a tale!

Thanks Monish,

I think my pride was hurt more than my forehead. I have to admit the rifle my friend let me use was over kill for the hunt, but it was the only one he had available. I can't own a rifle in Germany until I pass their hunting course later this year. This is by far the best rifle/scope combination I have ever shot: Blaser R93 with a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 optics. From the first time I shot it at the range in prep for this hunt I was in 1.5 inch MOA. I could only be so lucky to be able to purchase such a fine rifle before my first African hunt next year.

Steve,

Friend , I well understand the damage such incidents does to ones pride but the fact remains you are a happy hunter with a great trophy, you are correct the .375 H&H was a over kill for the game you took, but the make is one of the classics amongst all the rifles.
May you buy a fine rifle & bag record class trophies during your upcoming hunt in Africa, whats on you hunt list ????

Happy Hunting !!

Monish

Monish I am completely satisfied with outfitter and my trophies from the Czech Republic. It was a great time even with the friendly ribbing I am getting at work from the scare I will have. We are already considering a return trip this July when the bucks are in rut.

I am looking at a few different outfitters for my first African hunt. I am really leaning toward going to Namibia. From all the research I have conducted primarily on this site I think Namibia will be a good first African hunt for a reasonable price, good trophies, and I can get a direct flight out of Frankfurt. Right now my wish list is Kudu, Oryx, Zebra, Black Springbuck, Common Springbuck, and Impala. Time permitting and for good measure maybe a warthog. These will look good in my billiard/bar room in my retirement home in Tennessee.

I have to decide what an all around rifle/scope for these trophies is and what I plan to take in Europe as well. I would like to get a Mouflon before I leave Germany.

I am open to suggestions on a good caliber and one I can get ammo readily available back in the states (eventually). I don't suspect I will be making any shots over 300 meters.

Steve

Steve,

I can imagine friends poking at you , it does happen but at end of the day you are a damn satisfied hunter with a good head on your trophy wall.
I would suggest the Emperor of calibers the .375 H&H or the .300 Weatherby , these are tried & tested sporting calibers with astounding ballastic configurations . Ammo availability is ample in most of countries across the globe, just carry the right loads . Your listed game can be well taken with either of these calibers .

Happy hunting BWANA !!!

Monish

Lp!

Steve! "Lovski blagor!", how we tell in my country. Good Bock`s and I now that was a great experiens for you.

Lovski zdravo
Hunting hello
Janez L

Theres nothing like the sight of a nice summer roebuck to get the old heart bouncing and nerves jangling. Often i only have the camera with me and not the rifle, but i can say that the buck fevers just as pronounced! Something about roebucks that can turn a mans legs to jelly in the blink of an eye.
Heres a roebuck i photographed from about 25 yards away last week. I wouldn't like to guess my pulse rate, but it must have been high....
Good Hunting Jaeger

Attachments

• IMG_7434yuy.jpg
    IMG_7434yuy.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 186

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross