CZ550 Safari SCORE!

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
So, bare with me a bit because there is a story involved.

My name is Sean and i am new to the forum. I have been lurking on the site since 2018. The Africa bug has bit me good and I hope to go on my first Safari in 2023. I have learned a lot from members on this site!

One of the fun parts of planning a trip is the fun of choosing a new rifle! Today i went to my local gunshop with the idea that i was going to put down $2k on a Sako Kodiak in .375 H&H. Buffalo will be on my hunting list so a good medium bore rifle is needed.
To my surprise , the shop had a full selection of Winchester 70's, Sako's , Dakota's and Kimbers. On the rack was also a CZ550. It was the euro model with the curved stock. I know that these have been very hard to find as of late and i asked if it was used. IT WAS BRAND NEW!. Price? $1150. It had been sitting on the shelf since 2020. It has one of the nicest walnut stocks ive ever seen on a standard production rifle.
Needles to say, i couldn't open my wallet fast enough. I was also able to score a Leupold VARI X-3 1.5-5x20 scope. It was a holdover model that was the predecessor to the current model VX3i and VX 3 HD. I got it for $350 as a closeout!!!

Now, after all of this, my question is about rings. Should i put quick detachable rings on and if so by who? i have a contact at WARNE MFG but i can buy any brand. What is the rings you all would go with?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Sean

I call that a buy. Good luck. Welcome to AH.
Krish

Congrats! Pics?

Congratulations on the the new rifle...and yes, we are going to need pictures.

So, bare with me a bit because there is a story involved.

My name is Sean and i am new to the forum. I have been lurking on the site since 2018. The Africa bug has bit me good and I hope to go on my first Safari in 2023. I have learned a lot from members on this site!

One of the fun parts of planning a trip is the fun of choosing a new rifle! Today i went to my local gunshop with the idea that i was going to put down $2k on a Sako Kodiak in .375 H&H. Buffalo will be on my hunting list so a good medium bore rifle is needed.
To my surprise , the shop had a full selection of Winchester 70's, Sako's , Dakota's and Kimbers. On the rack was also a CZ550. It was the euro model with the curved stock. I know that these have been very hard to find as of late and i asked if it was used. IT WAS BRAND NEW!. Price? $1150. It had been sitting on the shelf since 2020. It has one of the nicest walnut stocks ive ever seen on a standard production rifle.
Needles to say, i couldn't open my wallet fast enough. I was also able to score a Leupold VARI X-3 1.5-5x20 scope. It was a holdover model that was the predecessor to the current model VX3i and VX 3 HD. I got it for $350 as a closeout!!!

Now, after all of this, my question is about rings. Should i put quick detachable rings on and if so by who? i have a contact at WARNE MFG but i can buy any brand. What is the rings you all would go with?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Sean
Nice score! Congratulations!

Heck of a deal! Congrats

IMG_4464.JPG
IMG_4462.JPG

Nice buy. I have Warne QD on both of my CZs. They work well, but mine are a bit tough to turn by hand - probably good thing so that they are stable.

DUDE - BUY A LOTTERY TICKET IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!
LOL, yes i may have to do that......... Both the rifle and the scope purchase were incredible buys. You never know what some of these bigger shops have until you do a little digging........

I bought mine December 2020 at your cost, wood nowhere near as pretty. My distributor could only get the Euro stock, I went with the low Talley rings for the scope. You did well on your purchase price, I hope it cycles and ejects well. I cycled the bolt many times with my rifle, a bit rough on feeding but much more satisfactory now, 100 rounds of PRVI 300 grain ammo fired through it just gets better. Congrats on your find!

Did CZ Discontinue the 550 Safari ? They dont seem to be on the CZ website and there are none to be had on Gunbroker..

Nice wood!
One thing to be aware of is ring height. I like fairly low scope mounting so my eye lines up correctly when my cheek is in firm contact with top of stock. I have the same Roman nose stock style on the predecessor to the CZ 550, the BRNO ZKK 602. They both have basically the same stock geometry with that style stock. I used standard, medium height Leupold ring bases on mine and the scope height seems maybe 1/4" too high for me. I do not know if shorter ring bases are made for the CZ 550 / BRNO 602 or not? I couldn't find any available at the time I needed to mount the scope. I added a lace-on cheek pad which raised the cheek just enough for the sight line to be more correct and it is comfortable.

The Leupold ring bases work well and are foolproof simple. Just be certain to lock down the ring bases very snugly with the tab correctly positioned in the slot cut-out in the receiver. Also, you will discover any roughness or feeding issues pretty quickly if they exist in your action. The CZ/BRNO rifles tend to be pretty accurate right out of the box. Good luck!

1st pic BRNO ZKK 602 scope mounting. BRNO ZKK 602 bottom rifle in group pic.
BRNO 602 -1.png

DG rifles.JPG

Great score, you could spend $10,000.00 more and not get a better, stronger rifle.

Note, most 550s start out with a bit of a rough action. The good news is you can smooth this out yourself or just shoot the rifle (a lot)!

I do recommend that you remove the action/stock screws, add a drop of locktite
to each screw and properly tighten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross