Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
Guys: I am tapping into the brain power on this site.... I bought a .375 H+H, CZ 550 Safari and mounted a Leupold VX5 hd 2 - 10 illuminated scope on it using Warne rings. The issue I have is that as much as I like the scope, I have NO adjustment to move it back closer to my eye. At the moment I am having to really scrunch forward to get a full sight picture. Naturally, I want to have rapid target acquisition without having to think about it. The problem is that the long action and the short front space on the scope do not allow any movement.
The options seem to be either a) buy a new scope, say the VX5 1 - 5, b)have my gunsmith drill and tap the receiver for a rail, c) try to find one of the rails that are compatible with the CZ machined grooves. This last option is probably the easiest except this is Canada, and such items are hard to come by. Also, I am a bit skeptical about the mechanical integrity of the last option.
Ideas? Comments?

Got a picture? Don’t think I’d like a rail in my way if a hurried reload was needed. JMO

+1 on not using a rail and keeping that load port area open. Your problem has become more common with the newer generation of scopes that are close coupled. I ran into similar issues in having to mix and match bases and rings for both my Win 70 and Montana 99 using the newer short couple scopes. But I was able to come up with solutions using standard mounts with offsets. After a quick perusal of the available mounts for the CZ the only two piece offset options were from NECG at about $475 ouch!!! The only other thing I can think of is to get a rail that fits the receiver and, by cutting, turn it into a two piece where the rings are offset on the rail halves and in the proper position to allow moving the scope back a little.

Last edited:
My experience is never to monkey around with the rifle in these circumstances. Find a scope and mount combination that works for you. Start with the base/ring combination.

My experience is never to monkey around with the rifle in these circumstances. Find a scope and mount combination that works for you. Start with the base/ring combination.
I've been looking online, but in Canada we don't have near the selection there is in the States and anything that smells like it is gun related is very tough to bring across the border. My last resort is to buy another scope (VX5 1-5). This will solve most of the issue. I was hoping to have more magnification for PG.

+1 on not using a rail and keeping that load port area open. Your problem has become more common with the newer generation of scopes that are close coupled. I ran into similar issues in having to mix and match bases and rings for both my Win 70 and Montana 99 using the newer short couple scopes. But I was able to come up with solutions using standard mounts with offsets. After a quick perusal of the available mounts for the CZ the only two piece offset options were from NECG at about $475 ouch!!! The only other thing I can think of is to get a rail that fits the receiver and, by cutting, turn it into a two piece where the rings are offset on the rail halves and in the proper position to allow moving the scope back a little.
Interesting idea.

I have the same concern regards ejection clearance, but I thought I would tape a stick across the receiver top and rapid cycle some empties to see if there was an issue. Not my favourite solution...

Tradeex Canada has the cz 550 magnum one piece mount,I haven't used them. I run warne qd with my Schmidt zenith on my cz 550, scope sits just right for.me, and the glass is fantastic.

Not sure of the base selection, but I've seen bases with the dovetail portion extended beyond the screw portion. If the extended portion is to the rear, this may add enough distance for the eye relief to correct; the problem is that if the scope sits farther back, the bell may be hitting the action, which may require getting rings that are taller.

Rick,
I also have a CZ 550 375 H&H. Last summer I put a VX5-HD 1-5x24 (non zero stop) on it. Used Warne QD rings. Took a sprinbok at 110 and a hartebeest at 85. Don't think I had the power above 2X.

Guess what I'm getting at, probably easier to swap out for the 1-5 as you'll still have plenty of magnification/FOV for plainsgame.

For short coupled, short bodied scopes you'll need some sort of offset base/ring config. As stated before, I wouldn't recommend a solid rail as it partially restricts loading port access. You might get a gunsmith to D&T standard base holes and use something like a dual dovetail system. The dual dovetail system is super strong by design. Here is the front mount I used on my Montana 99 450 Watts. It is a standard dual dovetail base with an offset ring. Note: the scope is also turned 90 deg left which gets the windage turret out of the way of the loading port- obviously won't work with oversized 3 turret systems... :)

offset dovetail mount.JPG

I have a CZ550 in 375 H&H. I put my late 1990's Leupold VX1 1-4 shotgun scope on it with Warne QD Rings. Eye relief is fine and took my buffalo in Zimbabwe early morning ~9 am.

Thanks for the input. I kind of think this is the best option. Just was hoping to avoid buying another scope right now. Gotta save for Africa in June.

I'll have to check this out. I have this sort of mount on a customized 1903 Springfield.
Thanks for the input.

I had the same problem with a Ruger number 1. I shortened the stock an inch, problem solved.

Rick,
I just sold the rail. They work fine, very reliable but like someone mentioned I do not like rails on top of those nice, wide open receivers. Also mine was for the medium/long action. Have not seen one for the magnum CZ yet. CZ also make 2 piece mounts that let you use weaver/picatinny style rings, but I'm not sure this would really buy you anything as the spacing between the 2 rings would not change.

Stick it out and buy a different scope that fits. I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 that fits with Warne rings on the big magnum.

First start with the rifle stock. Make sure the rifle stock fits you properly. Often factory stocks do not fit the shooter. The stock may well be a tad too long for you.

Rick
I like IvW thoughts Fit to me is paramount. Don't think too much of fail idea. Worse case is 5x should be more than fine for plains game. Great eland by the way. Cheers jacques

Rick,
I just sold the rail. They work fine, very reliable but like someone mentioned I do not like rails on top of those nice, wide open receivers. Also mine was for the medium/long action. Have not seen one for the magnum CZ yet. CZ also make 2 piece mounts that let you use weaver/picatinny style rings, but I'm not sure this would really buy you anything as the spacing between the 2 rings would not change.

Stick it out and buy a different scope that fits. I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 that fits with Warne rings on the big magnum.
Yeah that's what I have done. Will have a Leupold VX5 1-5 on it in a couple of weeks. Should close up the relief significantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you