Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
Dropped a CZ550 in 375H&H off at Kevin Weaver's (Weaver Rifles) this afternoon. Having it rebarreled/rechambered to 458 Lott. It's a Safari Classics that currently weighs just over 10# nekkid, and 11.3# with Leupold VX-6i 1-6x24 on it. Should end up close to the same when it's finished. NECG banded front sight, 2 leaf rear, barrel band swivel, 24" finished length on a Douglas barrel.
He tested some dummy rounds in the mag and was pleased with how they lifted. Need to machine a bit on the left side to ease the feed from that side, but thinks that should be all it takes. Polish the action a bit and blue the barrel to match the existing receiver. He thinks I should have it back by Christmas unless the barrel takes longer than expected to get. A new set of dies and a couple hundred pieces of brass are waiting when it does get returned.
Starting the design phase of modifying the appearance of the stock to better suit me. Kicking around ideas of the myriad types of wood that might become a new tip and grip cap, and other ways to take a relatively plain piece of walnut and make it not plain, but probably won't get started on that immediately. Looking forward to playing with another new caliber and another chunk of wood.

I love my CZ550 Lott with the added long magazine space I load all my rounds extra long and seat the bullets further out if they can do it.
Both my solids and softs now has driving bands allowing me to do it.
The ammo doesnt have much space to hit the magazine on recoil and it seems to feed easier when seated long.

My rounds now look like mini 500NE but with a rim. :E Happy:

Good luck with your project. I am on my second Lott and this one is a Brno. Be sure your smith gives you a chamber long enough to take advantage of the mag length.
Originally in the first Lott I used IMR 4320 to get over 2200 fps. Now that 4320 is no more I found that Tac did what was wanted with no powder compression.However I only use lead core bullets (Swift and TBSledgehammers).

For my reloads I use Norma203B depending on your case volume, barrel length mine is 25" and overall cartridge length 80gr should give you close to 2200fps. Don't worry if your case is above 100% filled with bullet seated I use droptube to pour in the powder it gives some extra space.

Good luck with your project. I am on my second Lott and this one is a Brno. Be sure your smith gives you a chamber long enough to take advantage of the mag length.
Originally in the first Lott I used IMR 4320 to get over 2200 fps. Now that 4320 is no more I found that Tac did what was wanted with no powder compression.However I only use lead core bullets (Swift and TBSledgehammers).
I've read several places that 4320 was the powder to use with the Lott. Fortunately, some time back, I had picked up a keg of 4320. Can't remember what it was intended for as it is still unopened, but that appears to be fortuitous now that I have (almost) a caliber it should be good for. By any chance, do you have your load data for 4320 still?

Thanks. My plan also. I've never shot a mono-metal bullet in anything.

Had a quick look at IMR4320 with 500gr Swift, 75gr of powder should get you to 2200fps but will be compressed a bit.

Maybe try strip down you stock and refinish it. My cz had some good wood under that plastic goop that cz spray on it.
That is definitely in the plan. Once he's done, I'll get rolling sometime this winter in giving the stock a facelift. There's been several times where I found a pretty decent piece of wood hiding under those factory finishes. They want the consistency of appearance so they hide the wood to achieve that.

@Woodcarver - I’m looking forward to seeing the progress on this rifle.

After stripping down the wood, if it’s not up to the standards of the rest of the rifle, I’d recommend finding a proper blank and have it roughly inletted (or fully fitted with proper bedding if you prefer).

It would be a real shame to have all that work done on the metal and not have the same attention to detail given to the timber.

Kevin's an awesome gunsmith. Say Hi for me. He did the last mod on my CZ in 500 Jeffery to get it to feed perfectly.

Chuck
That's good to know he can work on CZs. I'll have to take my Lott to him and have him smooth out the feeding issues I'm having. He's only about 25 minutes from me.

A little update. There was a pause in the build as nobody has a barrel band stud to fit the new barrel (.995 id), so I enlisted the services of my son, who is a machinist. Somebody in the shop had rendered the fixture he needed inoperable, so another was ordered; some time passed. Christmas was approaching; more time went by.
First go was using a PTO shaft of sufficient diameter. That didn't go so well (at least 1 broken bit) as I believe they are hardened; more time passed. He was able to get a piece of cold rolled rod a couple weeks ago and cut the new band. Picked it up this past weekend and delivered it to Kevin yesterday. Back on track.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross