Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
My search for a 7x57 continues; I've just seen the above listed on a dealer's website; I've not been able to find much information on the internet, apart from production started about 1992. Any further details / reports would be appreciated.

If you PM me your email I have a pdf copy of a Brno/CZ annual that talks about the development of the Brno zkk series through to the 550. Pretty sure it mentions the 537 as an intermediate between the 600 and 550.

@Donnachaidh I don't know much about that model of CZ but certainly applaud your desire for a 7x57. CZs in my opinion are "pretty good" but in what way are they pretty good? They make the most affordable, functional, durable magnum safari rifles available. When we talk about a new .458 or .375HH I'm unaware of anything of similar quality for a $1000. Even if they are a bit on the "junky" side it is about $400 away from being tuned so that it is now a $1400 gun superior to just about any dangerous game rifle you can buy until you're in the $3000 and up pricepoint.

So back to the 7x57. There are a treasure trove of really nice mauser rifles in 7x57 you can pick up that would be easy to sporterize if they are not already. Add a timney trigger. Get a nice stock. Adjust the safety bolt block to a 3-position model 70 type and you're off an running. You might want to poke around for a nice spanish or chilean mauser in 7x57 and go from there. I think it will be a better gun in the non-magnum arena than a non-magnum CZ.

Alternatively, buy a 7x57 that already has $3000 in sporterizing work done to it. There are a swath of nice custom mausers out there and they do not hold their value on resale. You can step into a bargain on one pretty easily. Often times people dump them because they do not shoot the 130 and 140gr bullets well but then they go on to shoot the 175gr partitions and 180gr solids beautifully because of how they were chambered and the twist rate.

No wrong answers and the CZ will suit you fine, but I think there are better/nicer options out there at that pricepoint. Remember the reason that people love the CZs is really because of what a great magnum action value they present. You're not looking for a magnum action so there are many great options.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a great choice for a turn-key gun: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/568477606

Another great rare option: tang safety ruger 77 in 7x57 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/568199179

I suspect you can find one for $1000. Alternatively you can find a nice sporter for $400 and do a few minor adjustments to it and be into a 7x57 for $700.

Let us know what you find. You picked a great caliber!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 2.56.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 2.56.20 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 187
CZ rifles in the smaller calibers tend to be a lot less problematic than the big magnums for some reason. I have owned 550's in '06, 7x57, 7x64 and two 9.3x62's and a .404 Jeffery and all have been excellent shooting rifles. Now I have glass bedded some of these but not all, but none have had to be worked on to make them run right, except the .404 which had feed issues. My 7x64 is the most accurate sporting rifle I have ever owned. I would certainly not consider CZ rifles to be "junky" in any way, though some have had feed issues with them, again in particular in the big boys. Why this should be I have no idea, other than lack of quality control. The older Ruger 77 rifles are not true Mausers in that they are not controlled round feed. They do have a big Mauser extractor but are a push feed action. Later Rugers are more true to Mauser design. I would not be afraid to gamble on the rifle in question, especially since it is pretty rare, and thus usually more valuable.

I have the Ruger model one in 7x57 and could not be happier. It's a wonderful rifle, accurate and just fits well. I don't know if you're considering a single shot but they make a great firearm.

Thank you for the replies; I've got a lot to think about. A local dealer also has two Ruger No.1A's in 7x57 which would be of interest, as long as I can have a few shots before committing myself.

@Donnachaidh a ruger #1 is a great stalking rifle. I used them a lot until I moved over to Dakota #10 single shots. (same thing, 4x-6x the price)

IF the rifle isn't all you've hoped, there are two mods to do to make them tack drivers. The hicks accurizer will fix inaccuracy in the event of harmonics issues. The kepplinger single set trigger will get that gun to a very accurate crisp trigger break. Both optional and easy adjustments if you need more accuracy.

A sporterized Mauser in 7x57 would be another great choice as I mentioned previously.

You would have to know the dealer pretty well to expect a few shots before purchase. I have one of those as well in 7x57 and a few other cals too. They are nice rifles.

@Donnachaidh a ruger #1 is a great stalking rifle. I used them a lot until I moved over to Dakota #10 single shots. (same thing, 4x-6x the price)

IF the rifle isn't all you've hoped, there are two mods to do to make them tack drivers. The hicks accurizer will fix inaccuracy in the event of harmonics issues. The kepplinger single set trigger will get that gun to a very accurate crisp trigger break. Both optional and easy adjustments if you need more accuracy.

A sporterized Mauser in 7x57 would be another great choice as I mentioned previously.
Most recent built #1 rifles will shoot very well without the flyer issues of the past. Unless a shooter is really picky about his hunting rifle triggers, he should be pleased with a newer #1 trigger as they are quite nice usually. I would say better than most factory rifles of any type.

I will throw in my +1 for a Ruger No1 and a 7x57. I own both,just not a Ruger No1 in 7x57 :A Blink:, a good choice of round imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!