Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Hi all, I am considering a nice hunting rifle in the caliber above. Other than some peoples beef with the .458 WM, are there any specific things about these guns I should be on the lookout for? Thanks

If I’m not mistaken the VZ24 was a military rifle. The quality of the rifle you are looking at, probably depends on the man who built it.

The VZ24 is 3/8" shorter than K98 pattern Mauser - you are working to shoehorn in a cartridge on a shorter platform. I use them for .308WIN/7mm Mauser/8mm Mauser, but not .30-06/.35 Whelen AI. A Turk Mauser would be a better starting platform from length perspective. The workmanship may not be as polished as the VZ24, but I have never heard of them being inferior in terms of metallurgy, etc..

The VZ24 is 3/8" shorter than K98 pattern Mauser - you are working to shoehorn in a cartridge on a shorter platform. I use them for .308WIN/7mm Mauser/8mm Mauser, but not .30-06/.35 Whelen AI. A Turk Mauser would be a better starting platform from length perspective. The workmanship may not be as polished as the VZ24, but I have never heard of them being inferior in terms of metallurgy, etc..
Thank you! That is good insight and exactly qht I was looking for. I am sure the back has been opened up to accept it but it is likely with this gun that I would never be able to rechamber to a lott if I wanted to.

Hi all, I am considering a nice hunting rifle in the caliber above. Other than some peoples beef with the .458 WM, are there any specific things about these guns I should be on the lookout for? Thanks
Mine shoots well I will tell you more about how it works in a few weeks when I get back

Well, its gone... I probably would have had buyers remorse as I would have wanted a lott eventually anyway for more handloading versatility

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross