Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Hi all, I am considering a nice hunting rifle in the caliber above. Other than some peoples beef with the .458 WM, are there any specific things about these guns I should be on the lookout for? Thanks

If I’m not mistaken the VZ24 was a military rifle. The quality of the rifle you are looking at, probably depends on the man who built it.

The VZ24 is 3/8" shorter than K98 pattern Mauser - you are working to shoehorn in a cartridge on a shorter platform. I use them for .308WIN/7mm Mauser/8mm Mauser, but not .30-06/.35 Whelen AI. A Turk Mauser would be a better starting platform from length perspective. The workmanship may not be as polished as the VZ24, but I have never heard of them being inferior in terms of metallurgy, etc..

The VZ24 is 3/8" shorter than K98 pattern Mauser - you are working to shoehorn in a cartridge on a shorter platform. I use them for .308WIN/7mm Mauser/8mm Mauser, but not .30-06/.35 Whelen AI. A Turk Mauser would be a better starting platform from length perspective. The workmanship may not be as polished as the VZ24, but I have never heard of them being inferior in terms of metallurgy, etc..
Thank you! That is good insight and exactly qht I was looking for. I am sure the back has been opened up to accept it but it is likely with this gun that I would never be able to rechamber to a lott if I wanted to.

Hi all, I am considering a nice hunting rifle in the caliber above. Other than some peoples beef with the .458 WM, are there any specific things about these guns I should be on the lookout for? Thanks
Mine shoots well I will tell you more about how it works in a few weeks when I get back

Well, its gone... I probably would have had buyers remorse as I would have wanted a lott eventually anyway for more handloading versatility

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you