Nhoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Hi All, Just trying to tap into the collective wisdom of the forum. I bought a 3006 recently. Rumor has it that CZ 550 shoots quite well (or maybe shoots better than other manufacturers) with the 220 gr bullets.

I believe that the CZ has a slightly faster twist rate than standard and so is better able to stabilise heavier bullets (or longer bullets in the case of monometals) ?

I think the CZ actually has a slower twist rate. The CZ is 1 in 12 inches vs the standard in most others of a 1 in 10 inches.

I have never shot 220gr bullets out of my 06. I might have tried 200 grs at some point, but pretty much have gone with 180 grs.

Get some 220 gr bullets and give it a try. And please report your findings!

Congratulations on the new to you rifle. I believe the CZ550 in 30-06 was discontinued in 2016 or 2018 depending on the model you have. You should post a picture when you have a chance.

As for the twist rate, it's most likely a 1:12. That said, each rifle is an individual and you never know what it will like. Get a variety of bullet weights and see what groups best for you. Finding a quality bullet that groups well from 150-220 grains shouldn't be a problem.

I think the CZ actually has a slower twist rate. The CZ is 1 in 12 inches vs the standard in most others of a 1 in 10 inches.

I have never shot 220gr bullets out of my 06. I might have tried 200 grs at some point, but pretty much have gone with 180 grs.

Get some 220 gr bullets and give it a try. And please report your findings!
Sorry you are correct. 1 in 12. I have sourced some 180 gr ammo for now. Will see how that goes.

Congratulations on the new to you rifle. I believe the CZ550 in 30-06 was discontinued in 2016 or 2018 depending on the model you have. You should post a picture when you have a chance.

As for the twist rate, it's most likely a 1:12. That said, each rifle is an individual and you never know what it will like. Get a variety of bullet weights and see what groups best for you. Finding a quality bullet that groups well from 150-220 grains shouldn't be a problem.
I only have one 'before' pic of the horrible cz gorilla snot stock with scratches and dents on my phone.First thing I did was strip the varnish and steam out the dents. I also found a cz model 1 .22 LR. Again the stock was horrible but I negotiated a good price. Also been working on that stock. I will post a few pics when I download off my phone.

This is what the rifle looked like before. Blueing is in pretty good condition but the wood.......
IMG-20210322-WA0005.jpg

Hi All, Just trying to tap into the collective wisdom of the forum. I bought a 3006 recently. Rumor has it that CZ 550 shoots quite well (or maybe shoots better than other manufacturers) with the 220 gr bullets.

I believe that the CZ has a slightly faster twist rate than standard and so is better able to stabilise heavier bullets (or longer bullets in the case of monometals) ?
Hi Nhoro,
I have and I can vouch and speak for myself and my CZ550 - 06.
From the day I took delivery of it, brand new, I have only shot 220gr PMP bullets purely for hunting all for the pot, handloaded using Vihtavuori N565. All animals harvested from: -
Impala
Blesbok
Red hartebeest
Gemsbok
Zebra
Warthog
Never have lost one or had to walk and follow after any animal, them 220gr pills performed perfectly in my rifle.
As with all firearms, do go ahead and put yours to the test with 220 grainers, I reckon you sure will be pleasantly surprised.

Has your original CZ stock been glass beded by and chance, I have seen many a factory CZ550 stocks crack...

I have, not so long ago, re-stocked my CZ with a Boyd's laminated stock, picture herewith...
20210706_205514.jpg
20210706_205641.jpg

Hi Nhoro,
From the day I took delivery of it, brand new, I have only shot 220gr PMP bullets purely for hunting all for the pot, handloaded using Vihtavuori N565. All animals harvested from: -
Impala
Blesbok
Red hartebeest
Gemsbok
Zebra
Warthog
Never have lost one or had to walk and follow after any animal, them 220gr pills performed perfectly in my rifle.
As with all firearms, do go ahead and put yours to the test with 220 grainers, I reckon you sure will be pleasantly surprised.

Has your original CZ stock been glass beded by and chance, I have seen many a factory CZ550 stocks crack...

I have, not so long ago, re-stocked my CZ with a Boyd's laminated stock, picture herewith...
Nice stock- mine original stock is looking quite good. Just put a new layer of BLO on. I am interested in the 220 gr bullets because most of my hunting will be under 100 m and I was thinking less bloodshot meat. I am also looking at Vihtavuori as someone is a distributor here and I can get a consistent supply. I was looking at n 550. I also use the vv for my lott (130 &135) but want to try 530. How do you find the double base powder ? Does it give you more velocity ? Rumor has it about 100 fish at same pressure.

Here is a couple of pics of the stock in process.
20210708_164533.jpg
20210708_164511.jpg

I don’t know how much this will help . But on my first African Safari in 1974 , I downed most of my plains game ( including my bull eland ) with a .30-06 ( a BRNO ZKK600 , which is the predecessor to the CZ Model 550 ) and 220 Gr Remington Core Lokt soft points . The rifle grouped very well .

I don’t know how much this will help . But on my first African Safari in 1974 , I downed most of my plains game ( including my bull eland ) with a .30-06 ( a BRNO ZKK600 , which is the predecessor to the CZ Model 550 ) and 220 Gr Remington Core Lokt soft points . The rifle grouped very well .
This is great information...I recently purchased a ZKK in -06 and have yet to shoot it. Habib did you ever shoot 150 grainers through it?

This is great information...I recently purchased a ZKK in -06 and have yet to shoot it. Habib did you ever shoot 150 grainers through it?
Thanks , Fallschirmjaeger . On my African Safaris , I generally prefer to use a .30-06 Springfield for the plains game . In the BRNO ZKK600 , I used Remington Core Lokt 180 Gr soft points for some of the plains game . But not the kudu , the wildebeest and the eland . For those , I used Remington Core Lokt 220 Gr soft points .

I have experience with 180 Gr and 220 Gr , but unfortunately not 150 Gr . Sorry for the inconvenience .

That's a great looking stock...it does really look like the Continental version of the ZKK.
The action is definitely CZ 550 and the stock is a factory fitted stock. I bought it second hand and took the cz original brown varnish off. Same stuff that my 458 had on it. It is the same pattern as my 458 stock as well. I have seen the monte cargo style stocks but this style is pretty common her in zimbabwe.

When I had a 30-06 (BSA) I used 220gr bullets on large red stags during the rut. I also chambered 220grainers when working in the bush with wild bulls around. I found the 150gr spoiled a lot of meat, not so much the 180gr. Try them all out to see which suits your rifle and good hunting.

So quick update. I have secured 60 rounds- 40 x 180 gr and 20 x 220 gr. All PMP factory ammo. But we just went into another lockdown so waiting for the range to get permission to open.

Hi Nhoro,
Impala
Blesbok
Red hartebeest
Gemsbok
Zebra
Warthog

I have, not so long ago, re-stocked my CZ with a Boyd's laminated stock, picture herewith...View attachment 411074View attachment 411075
Are you left-handed, shooting left-handed with a right-handed rifle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,