CZ 550 vs Kimber Talkeetna

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Avery David Romann, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Avery David Romann

Avery David Romann New Member

I am wanting a new rifle in 375 h&h for a rifle I just got a 338 378 weatherby accumark with a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 scope and the ammo is 160 a box and I want some cheaper shells I want to put a Nightforce NX8 on it any opinions appreciated

2. Eventually_Africa_Again

Eventually_Africa_Again AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hello there! I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forums!

I cannot speak to the Kimber but I own a 375 H&H CZ and I really enjoy it. The recoil is mild enough (with no muzzle break, it's not even drilled for one) that I have no trouble going through a box of ammo. Now, lest you get the wrong impression, I seriously hate recoil but this thing has way less "felt" than the 300 WinMag that I traded in. I can also vouch for the accuracy of the rifle, I was able to pick off a monkey running down a tree 80 yards away! Just my two cents, and good luck to you either way!

Dr Ray likes this.

3. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Welcome to AH!

Where are you located?

I have the kimber Talkeetna and its a nice shooting rifle.

AB2506 likes this.

4. Avery David Romann

In Perham MN

CTDolan likes this.

5. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    Welcome to AH!
    There is a wonderful Ruger RSM for sale by one of our members right now. Out of the two I’d personally buy the stainless kimber. If I was going blued I’d buy that RSM.

IdaRam likes this.

6. Mlibizi 8182

Mlibizi 8182 AH Senior Member

Personal experience the current CZs can be very rough out of the box. There is a excellent post describing the work that needs to take place. Out of the box I think the Kimber is a smoother action. Not sure on mag. Capacity on Kimber, but like the CZ 5 rd.

ufg8r93 likes this.

7. Avery David Romann

I was comparing energy between my 338 378 and the 375 h&h and the 338 378 will push a 300 grain faster so I thought maybe a 458 Lott in the CZ 550 American Safari Magnum for hunting under a hundred yards I have shot a 458 win mag in a CZ before and I did not think that it was that bad do you guys think that it would make an ok buffalo rifle because that would be my dream hunt and well one can always dream

8. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    JMO, but if you’re just going to hunt a dry climate and like traditional bluing and wood, the CZ or RSM are very nice. If you plan a hunt to humid areas such as Kodiak or southeastern coast of Alaska for brown bear, maybe even the lush wet jungles of Africa, then I’d suggest you look seriously at the stainless/synthetic stocked rifles. Some are made by Kimber, Sako, MRC, Winchester, Ruger and I believe Browning.
    The only 458 Lott I Shot was last year while at PawPrints. The PH, Johan let me fire his which seemed very heavy and it wasn’t bad. But my recovery time for a second shot was substantially less than my 375 H&H. I’m 70 yo, 5’8” and 158lbs and it set me back pretty well.
    Best of luck in your decision!

9. ufg8r93

ufg8r93 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    USA: GA, FL, SD, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, UK
    I own a CZ 550 American Safari (Aramid composite stock) in 375 H&H. It's a great shooter and the recoil isn't bad. However, as others have said you need to have it cleaned up so everything works smoothly. I also had a Timney trigger installed and had it cerakoted after some of the bluing rubbed off during my first safari. And I found I hated the safety on my safari so I had a three-position safety installed. At this point it's pretty close to perfect but it took time and cash to get it that way. I do really like the Aramid composite stock.

If I had to do it again I would take a serious look at the Kimber or the Sako Brown Bear - but I do hate that weird tapered dovetail on the Sakos.

10. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    hi welcome aboard :D Beers:. i see your profile says you are 13 yrs old ...that weatherby is a big rifle for someone your age....you must like big cals :D

11. MAdcox

MAdcox GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC; DSCOK
    Hunted:
    Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
    Haven’t shot either but my uncle and my cousin @Bill Bunn III both have Kimber Caprivis in 375 H&H. I shot them a lot last year prepping for our trip. They are wonderful rifles and very nice wood on both of them. Super smooth feeding and easy on the shoulder. Hard to go wrong with Kimber. No offense to the CZ- never handled one.

12. leslie hetrick

leslie hetrick AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    several sporting clubs
    Hunted:
    several
    I used a cz-550 in .375 H&H mag on several hunts in Africa and it worked well, no failures on any animals. that said it is a heavy rifle compared to my Remington 700 in .375 H&H mag. if I needed more power I think I would get a .416 rem mag or if hunting small tanks a weatherby .416 mag.

13. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I have a Talkeetna 375. It's one of the nicest rifles I have ever owned. Feeds flawlessly. Holds 4 in the magazine. Very accurate. Lightweight at 7lbs 8oz. Stock is bedded from the factory with pillars. Very nice open sights. Adjustable for windage and elevation. Drilled and tapped for 8/40 scope mount screws. Match grade barrel. Overall, it's a whole lot of gun for the money. I just wish it had a floorplate....

Dr Ray, AB2506 and ufg8r93 like this.

14. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Perham...not too far from where my father grew up and quite near my favorite hunting spot on the planet!

15. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    To answer your question, though, I’d go with the Kimber.

16. Avery David Romann

Where is your favorite hunting spot

17. Avery David Romann

So I think I will either go with the Kimber Talkeetna or maybe a CZ in a 458 Lott but after some reading it looks like some people are having feeding issues is it anything serious that has to be fixed or some minor tweaking

18. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    Between those two I'd choose the Kimber. However my preference would be a Montana Rifle company rifle. If you choose a CZ, there is a comapny: American Hunting Rifles that has a good reputation working on CZ's.

19. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Inman (Wunderlich) WMA.

By the way, I remember Mr. Wunderlich (and his former farm, well). Interesting character.

20. Odinsraven

Odinsraven AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
    Hunted:
    UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
    602 Brno ......inexpensive and usually all the flaws worked out ...... Can also mount three flag safety to it

Bruce likes this.