CZ 550 ULTIMATE HUNTING RIFLE (UHR) .300 Win Mag..?

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey Guys,

Is there ANY fellow hunter that can give me any information on this particular rifle: CZ 550 Ultimate Hunting Rifle (UHR) .300 Win Mag.
Does anyone own one of these? Will appreciate any feedback.

This can't be true..4497 AH Members..and nobody can give me any feedback on one of these rifles..? Wassup..?

Well I looked the rifle up. Damn nice gun! For $1400 it better shoot as nice as it looks. That being said, it's a nice rifle...nice rifles aren't cheap. Buy nice or buy twice. If you like it and are alright with the price...buy it!

I read a report in one of the glossies some time back. Writer seemed to like it well enough. I think it was Dick Metcalf in Guns and Ammo or some such. I dont see where it warrants such a premium price over the standard 550 line. I am quite happy with my CZ rifles that cost half as much as the Ultimate.

DOCMAN

While there may be 4497 member you will see that there are only between 75 and 150 looking at the forum.

CZ 550 is a great rifle...they have some feeding issues with the larger calibers rifles...good news is the 300 Win Mag is not one of them...the price out of the box a very good shooter from all i have read about the rifle...i am looking at the 404 Jeffrey in the CZ - 550...

Which CZ rifle Are you looking at: the CZ-550 ultimate hunting rifle...CZ 550 American...CZ 550 Medium lux or is it the CZ 550 Medium Battue??

If you are looking at the CZ 550 ultimate hunting rifle...that has guarantee accuracy to 600 yards which only comes in 300 Win Mag....Talking to the US office this is suppose to be a very good shooter...with better accuracy than most hunter have in them....great reports on this rifle with a good scope mounted on it...so you are looking at 2 to 4 K total in the rifle...:)

This can't be true..4497 AH Members..and nobody can give me any feedback on one of these rifles..? Wassup..?

Hey James,
I have a number of CZ's and very happy with them. I would actually just like to know if this .300 UHR is all that they make it out to be..they need to be on the ball to guarantee MOA at 600 yards. Is it really worth the price,know what I mean?

Docman..

Between you and me i would have a rifle built by either Jarrett or Robar...:)
While other build precision rifles these two stand out in my research...they both guarantee your rifle will shoot at 800 or 1000 yards...

Jarrett Long Range hunter in 300 Jarrett is what you should look at...The rifle shoots extremely well with velocities at 3100 feet per second using a 200 gr. bullet producing 4 inch, three shot groups at 800 yards from a sandbag rest...:sharpshooter:

The following rifle are used by police and military around the world...very good group to work with...i like the finish where you can throw your rifle in the ocean and come back the next day and it will not rust...

Robar...SR60 or SR90...is a rugged, dependable, easy-to-use rifle. It has a proven track record with military, law enforcement and civilian marksmen throughout the world and is the rifle of choice for numerous military and law enforcement agencies. They will build this rifle for 1000 yard accuracy...:sharpshooter:

The SR60 features an ambidextrous Monte Carlo style stock that is the same design as used on the U.S. Marine Corps M40A1 rifle. :sharpshooter:

Hey James,
I have a number of CZ's and very happy with them. I would actually just like to know if this .300 UHR is all that they make it out to be..they need to be on the ball to guarantee MOA at 600 yards. Is it really worth the price,know what I mean?

I have a 375 in the 550 and love it . very good groups and not as much kick as my model 70

I have 15 CZ/Brno rifles and they ALL shoot sub MOA so theoretically they should ALL shoot MOA regardless of distance....so much at 500+ yards has to do with the Shooter and optics.......and PRACTISE........and bullet BC.......NOT about the rifle......MOA at 1000 yards is about 10 inches....thats a pretty small target regardless of any optics......wind drift?......rifle twist drift?........I really can't see spending that amout of cash when there are SO many variables that can push that bullet one way or the other......I have a medium magnum 300WM safari that shoots sub MOA....it should shoot that way regardless of distance as long as ALL the other factors are accounted for.....just don't want to spend 2G's on a scope for a hunting rifle

Not a common rifle that's for sure. They came out about five years ago I believe, a great deal of press about guaranteed accuracy, sub-MOA to a thousand yards etc.
The selling point was that CZ took a standard 550 and toleranced the rifle to ridiculously tight tolerances. Everything about the gun was supposedly built to the most stringent manufactoring tolerances possible. The rifle was sold only in 300 WM and when purchased with the recommended scope, I want to say that it was a Night Force model, it would give guaranteed performance right out of the box. The price as I recall was $1599.00 USD for the rifle and another 1000+ for the glass.
After the initial marketing hoopla faded out it remained in the catalog for three or four years. I believe it is still listed on the web site. That's about all I could tell you about it. I do have a friend that purchased one the first year they came out, at the time he was absolutely thrilled with it. I honestly can't say if he still has it or what his thoughts are on the quality of the rifle today.
Since the CZ 550 UHR was released both Weatherby and Savage have introduced "high" accuracy rifles. Other manufacturers such as Best of the West have released similiar rifle concepts, the 1000 yd rifle right out of the box is a great idea in theory. Something that you would have paid thousands to build is commercially available for the right price.

I have one of the older BRNO's and a CZ 550 in 9.3x 62. They are solid rifles and a lot of PH's in SA use them. The rangers in the Kruger also use them. Not necessarily the one you speak of but CZ in general has a very large following in SA.

I have two CZ rifles: a bolt action .22 rimfire and a .223 American with a single set trigger. Both are excellent rifles. Very accurate and great values for the money.

I don't own an Ultimate Hunting Rifle and have never even shot one, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. I am only repeating what I have heard. The Ultimate has a 1 in 12 rate of twist (the CZ website confirms this), which is unusual for rifles chambered in .300 Win. Mag.: Most are 1 in 10.

It comes with an MOA guarantee out to 600 yards. A fellow I know bought one and said he couldn't get it to group worth a damn with 180 grain bullets, and he tried several brands. He called CZ. They told him the MOA guarantee was valid only with 170 grain or lighter bullets! Apparently its 1 in 12 twist will not stabilize anything heavier.

If this is right--and I am not saying it is--one would do very well to think twice before buying one. In my mind 180 grains is the quintessential .300 Win. Mag. bullet weight. I certainly wouldn't want a rifle that couldn't accurately file them--and especially not at what those rifles are selling for.

I guess that is how they made a 600 yd gun, they put a faster twist in the barrel and used lighter bullets.

CZs notoriously have fast twist rates..do your homework and if you see what tjey do to create a UHR you would realize it is a steal....u can get one for about 1100 now on GB.. .it is lapped and accurized to the Nth degree and now that the price is about the same as a FNH Winchester...its a no brainer

I am a huge fan of CZ 550's

I have the following 550's : 416 Rigby,404 Jeffery,375 h&h , 6.5 x 55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!