Cz 550 Safari Classic upgrade

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Well I just had a much anticipated delivery from fedex in a long cardboard box! I got my cz 550 safari classic in 450 rigby back from Wayne at AHR for his #2 upgrade package. I am absolutely blown away by his work. The finish he applied is flawless and looks tough as nails. I had him cut the barrel back to 24in. I also had him add a mercury recoil reducer to the stock to help with the balance a little plus recoil mitigation. Wayne also installed a slightly larger magazine box to help ensure reliable feeding from the big 450 case. The trigger he put in is wonderful, nice and crisp with no creep. The upgraded sights are outstanding as well. As some of you may have read in a previous post, my rifle came with no firing pin, in which Cz sent me a replacement and Wayne got it installed for me as well. This rifle is smooth as butter now and feeds the fat 450 cases with no hesitation or hang ups. Now that I’m well on my way to a full recovery from a recent surgery, I’m hoping to get it out to the range this weekend to do some live fire testing. I will post pictures once I get it out to the range and have the room to do this rifle justice. Wayne is a true craftsman and an artist. One of these days I’m going to have to order a rifle from him, but Africa is calling first :)

Congratulations on that work. I have a 458 Lott with his 3-position safety and trigger, and some other work. I especially like the trigger.

Thank you! Yea, the trigger is a dream! I love the 3 position safety as well, much better than the original.

Okay, here are some pics. It’s about 35 degrees with whipping winds that bring it down to the 20’s here in lovely northwestern Pennsylvania so it was an abbreviated shooting session. I was shooting off of my sticks, not the lead sled. It shot right to point of aim so I was pleased with that. Holy smokes is the recoil brisk even with the mercury recoil reducer! It’s a bit sharper and more stout than my 500 Jeffery. Then again my 500 weighs a good 2.5-3lbs more. All in all I’m very happy with the rifle and can’t wait to practice some more with it.

8CA76AC1-F364-43D2-87FA-5428333B2837.jpeg
98E1C295-8E3D-49E1-97FF-476F329FE3C7.jpeg
EBD9D1EC-0C9E-4AA2-868A-22C1FB5EAF8E.jpeg
F3A7E6DF-0B7D-4808-A94B-75224117A693.jpeg
CC4CB663-F7CC-4B0B-A4D9-D36A6853193B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Wish I could afford AHRs fine rifle upgrades! Great rifle!

Nice! I love a new rifle in an usual caliber. Super fun for you! Enjoy

Thank you colorado and Pheroze! I am beyond pleased with his work, plus he is a very nice guy too!!!

Beautiful rifle and in a proper African caliber.
Congratulations.
Let us know how it shoots.

Thanks! I will post some more when I can get a little more time to have a proper range session with it.

Excited for you to go on an Africa adventure and show us what it is really capable of! Hope you are starting to recover and making plans?

Excited for you to go on an Africa adventure and show us what it is really capable of! Hope you are starting to recover and making plans?
Yes, recovery is going outstanding! Working hard at PT and it’s paying off big time. I’m doing research on outfitters I want to go with and setting up a “saving budget” to get me there soon. I will probably be going for just plains game the first go around so the 450 may have to wait to see dangerous game for a little. Then again, I could always test it out on some wild piggies stateside until I can go for buffalo :D

Beautiful rifle and in a proper African caliber.
Congratulations.
Let us know how it shoots.
Thank you BeeMaa, I’m hoping to be able to shoot it more this weekend fingers crossed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross