Cz 550 rigby bolt face build

Just ordered the riflescope, I ended finding the one I wanted in stock, ended up with a leupold fx ii 2.5 wide duplex. I ended up choosing this scope based of reviews and recommendations from Phil shoemaker for the long eye relief and ability to handle recoil

I would check ballistics on the 460 Wby before deciding on shortening the barrel length. My rifles generally have 23" barrels, that are very handy, but they are not for cartridges as large as the 460.

After digesting some ballistic charts I think I'll cut the barrel to 24" in order to get the most from the cartridge without giving up too much maneuverability

Good luck with your build! Some nice looking components there.

As others have said with the Weatherby I would leave the barrel as long as possible. You can always cut a barrel down and recrown. Rather harder to extend it if you decide a bit short.

Scrummy

So it's been dropped off at the smith! We are going to cut it to 24" and bead blasted the barrel to take the shine off and install a removable brake so i can shoot it more than just a few times a year. Set the timney trigger to 3lbs. True the action and work the feed ramps and magazine to ensure smooth feeding. He has a few scopes to work on then another rifle ahead of mine in his que so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait but I can't complain about the wait since he is building it for me with the family discount which is I provide the parts and he puts it together! I am so excited since this is my first custom big bore rifle

Which smith did you end up with?

Just wanted to post an update, I've been in contact with the smith and it's almost complete just a few little hiccups 1st was the barrel band I purchased 2 from midway and wouldn't you know neither one of em are the correct size lol and the 2nd was the brake the smith said it doesn't look good since it's a blued brake and my barrel is stainless so we are waiting for a different brake to come in. Just to put it out there I don't plan on hunting dangerous game or with a companion with the brake I just wanted the ability to have 1 so I would practice with the rifle more since I know it's going to be a beast in the recoil department

Well I have some very terrible news, my gunsmith (also my uncle) passed away very suddenly before my rifle was finished, so now I have to figure out how I am going to get this rifle finished and also I am going to try and have it engraved as a tribute as it was the last rifle he was working on when he passed

Oh my, so sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences to you, and your family. Sad news.

Very sorry to hear this. Having it engraved as a tribute to him sounds really nice.

I want to say thank you to everyone for the kind words. My friend out in West texas who is currently going through gunsmithing school said he will finish it once he gets a chance and after my brother drops off the rest of the parts like the complete bottom metal and magazine parts

Here is a picture I received from the smith of the progress and the current state of affairs with the rifle
46047.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg