CZ 550 in .404 jeffries

@gizmo I think the rifles listed on that site are CZ 550's and not CZ 550 Safari Magnums. The website pictures don't show cross bolts, the barrel band, better wood and probably don't have the jeweled bolt. I bought my CZ 550 375 H&H in 2011 used (maybe 5 shots through it) for around $900 it had cross bolts but none of the other upgrades.

The big bores should all have cross bolts otherwise the stocks would split. My 550 certainty does and that's where I bought it. It is a CZ 550 American Safari Magnum and I paid 1000 for it. In that website the have tons of different CZ models from 455's in 17HMR to 550's in 416 Rigby and 458 Win Mag. Before the Christmas shopping craze hit they had one in 505 Gibbs and 404 J. I should have bought the 505 then.

I had my .404 made by the CZ custom shop. Has a few extra items like a pop-up peep sight. Ended up at around $4800 so this rifle is a good buy, especially with the nice wood. Mine is very accurate. More so than my .375 Model 70. You should buy it and put a better scope on it.

@gizmo I agree that they should have cross-bolts. I noticed when I was shopping some had them and some didn't. I shied away from those that did not have them.

Grab it Eric

They are not willing to negotiate, so it can collect dust..................

That rifle is too good a rifle and caliber to pass up on . Someone should grab it .

That's one problem with that place. They won't move on stuff til it's been there for 6mo. Then with this particular gun they may take a whopping $100 off. People claims it's because they give really good trade in prices, but I've never done it so I can't say for sure. Either way I don't usually do much business with them

It's a business. Most places don't give you good money on a trade. There is a select market for that gun.

The Rigby has a cross bolt just above the rear of the trigger guard. http://www.damronsonline.com/product.cz-550-bolt-416-rigby-25-turkish-walnut-blue
The 458 doesn't appear to have one????
http://www.damronsonline.com/product.cz-550-bolt-458-winchester-magnum-25-turkish-walnut-blue-31
I believe you are correct and neither have jeweled bolts. Or upgraded wood.

gizmo that single cross bolt on that example is weir, to me. I think the cross bolts, magazine boxes, barrel bands are like the seasons, they change. I stand to be corrected.

When I bought my Cz550 in 375 H&H (Early 2000's) American stock, no cross bolts, sling stud no barrel band but held 5 down. 2 or 3 years later I bought my 416 Rigby, American stock, two cross bolts in the standard locations, no barrel band and holds 4 down in the mag. I am aware that CZ US use two different mag boxs. One will hold 3 416 Rigby and the other 4, or 4 and 5 of 458/375 cartridges. Non had jeweling on the bolt. I have a Safari Magnum on lay-by in 458Win. This has the hogs back stock and from memory 2 cross bolts and barrel band but has the roughest action of any CZ550 I have tried, yet it, in Aust. cost about $800 more than the standard 550 Magnum. Go figure. I got it at the standard price, know the store owner and it has sat there for a couple of years and no it will not remain in that stock or as a 458Win or Lot if I keep it.

gizmo that single cross bolt on that example is weir, to me. I think the cross bolts, magazine boxes, barrel bands are like the seasons, they change. I stand to be corrected.

When I bought my Cz550 in 375 H&H (Early 2000's) American stock, no cross bolts, sling stud no barrel band but held 5 down. 2 or 3 years later I bought my 416 Rigby, American stock, two cross bolts in the standard locations, no barrel band and holds 4 down in the mag. I am aware that CZ US use two different mag boxs. One will hold 3 416 Rigby and the other 4, or 4 and 5 of 458/375 cartridges. Non had jeweling on the bolt. I have a Safari Magnum on lay-by in 458Win. This has the hogs back stock and from memory 2 cross bolts and barrel band but has the roughest action of any CZ550 I have tried, yet it, in Aust. cost about $800 more than the standard 550 Magnum. Go figure. I got it at the standard price, know the store owner and it has sat there for a couple of years and no it will not remain in that stock or as a 458Win or Lot if I keep it.
Huh, I'd think that they would make their magnums in the same series pretty uniform except for maybe wood grade and things such as jeweled bolts etc...

Huh, I'd think that they would make their magnums in the same series pretty uniform except for maybe wood grade and things such as jeweled bolts etc...
You would think so, but apparently, not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.