CZ 550 American Safari Magnum For Sale

WestCo

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe
I have a good gunsmith that is trying to find a home for a CZ 550 chambered in 458 Win. This rifle is in excellent condition, only shot a handful of times and never taken to the field. It has the three leaf express sights (100, 200, and 300) and has the factory 1:14 twist barrel. The gunsmith will also ream out the barrel to a 458 Lott if that is more desirable for no extra charge. He is wanting to get $900 out of it. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Can't say I'd be interested, but the price seems fair. I would suggest you add pictures of the rifle if possible.

I'll have to swing by his shop and take a few of it and upload them in the next day or two hopefully.

Best of luck in finding ot a home! When I opened the thread I must admit I was really hoping it would say .404 or .416 Rigby as I am looking into these 2

Best of luck in finding ot a home! When I opened the thread I must admit I was really hoping it would say .404 or .416 Rigby as I am looking into these 2

It might make a really good custom 404jeff

Providing it has respectable looking wood and feeds well, that seems a very good deal, especially if reamed out to a Lott chamber. Unfortunately I have too many 458's or I'd scoop it up.

Look forward to seeing the pictures!

Damnit. I've been dying for a Lott but I just can't swing it right now.

Here are a few pics of that rifle.

20170208_104247.jpg
20170208_104128.jpg
20170208_104153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Providing it has respectable looking wood and feeds well, that seems a very good deal, especially if reamed out to a Lott chamber. Unfortunately I have too many 458's or I'd scoop it up.
I thought the Rigby and the .505 s were your favorites, didn't know the .458 s were high on your list!

I really would like to have this in Lott, my goal is to have these in 375 H&H (which I do already), 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and 505 Gibbs. So 1 down 3 to go. Lol

I thought the Rigby and the .505 s were your favorites, didn't know the .458 s were high on your list!
Nope, not high, only have 3;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the 458 Win Mag a decent cartridge for DG? I'm not familiar with all the large game calibers. How does it compare to a .375 H&H?

I will give you only my opinion based on my little bit of hunting in Africa, however I have reloaded for all of my hunting rifles for a number of years. The minimum required caliber for buffalo and elephant is .375 (or 9.3mm I believe but not 100% sure), so anything .375 and larger are suitable for DG. I'm sure others will have better opinions and knowledge than I do. But in my opinion, it's all about how comfortable you are with whatever caliber you choose. Bigger caliber and bullet, won't make up for perfect shot placement. However, the larger caliber rifles with more ballistic energy might give you a little advantage on a not so prefect shot placement with a possible knock down allowing a quick follow up shot. Now, as far as 458 Win compared to 375 H&H, you can fire a 500g bullet out of the 458, where as the 375 will only be up to 350g. The 458 is probably better known as the closer range (100 yards or less) caliber for larger and DG animals. The 375 can be good shooting out to 200 - 250 yards effectively on animals, however I wouldn't recommend that on any DG animal. And the 458 Lott is the same bullet as the 458 Win but has a larger casing which will allow more powder, more ft-lb of energy, and indeed more recoil. Sorry to be so long winded, but to sum it all up, for many decades DG animals were taken with the 375 H&H, but the 458 has become more and more popular of the years, especially the Lott. So whatever you decide, the most important is what you are most comfortable with, what you can confidently hit your target off-hand, off sticks continuously and quickly. Good luck and maybe others will have a better insight if I've done nothing but confuse you.

Is the 458 Win Mag a decent cartridge for DG? I'm not familiar with all the large game calibers. How does it compare to a .375 H&H?
The 458 win mag is an ok cartridge close up. Some might even say a very good one as recoil is quite manageable and yet you are searching ding a 500 grain bullet. However if you are interested in this gun advertised here.. note... <The gunsmith will also ream out the barrel to a 458 Lott if that is more desirable for no extra charge.>

Seems a bit foolish to not take the seller up on this offer. Then you can shoot both the win mag and lott loads out of the same gun. And the Lott takes the 458 to different level.

Another point I find interesting is to browse through factory ballistics tables. In the catalog I have, the 416 Rem Mag produces more ft pounds of energy than the 458 win mag. And also much more effective range, with very manageable recoil. That's why I chose it over the 458 when I went stepped up from a 375 and wanted to do so with a new Winchester out of the box;)

But back to the purpose of this thread... that looks like a great deal on a nice gun with the option of flexible chamber ingredients at no extra charge. I must have spent a year or more watching for a deal like this on a CZ for a friend. He ended up with a similar gun, chamber bored to Lott, for $1000. Someone needs to scoop this deal up:)

Wonder if the wife would believe she really needs this for her Valentine's day present. Of course once she shoots it and finds the recoil to be too much for her, I would happily take it off her hands so it could not abuse her anymore.........
That won't work, she would probably love it and my plan would fall apart.

Guess I should just buy it and say I found it in the attic.
Did you sell it yet?
JTT

I'll have to check tomorrow on it and see if it is still avaliable. I'll let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,