CZ-550 American .416 Rigby

What colorado said. Works for me as well.

Short answer. Yes.

I know that compulsive disorder... I believe it's called exhaustive-propellant-brimming disorder... I used to suffer from it until I realized I could no longer convince myself that it killed things deader. But it lead to the next disorder which, as adding more powder didn't kill 'em any deader, then perhaps a larger bore and more lead is the answer to making an animal ultra-super-stone-cold-bucket-thoroughly-kicked DEAD. Haven't talked myself outta that mentality yet.

I am just sitting here laughing, as I have the same disorder. Gotta love the 40+ Calibres:D

I have several CZ's and really haven't had any feed issues. Action is a bit rough but really didn't bother me. Actions are definitely smoother than the old BRNO's I have. I used to drive my mum nuts when I sat in front of the telly racking the action whilst watching hockey. I found the more you shoot the BRNO & CZ's the smoother the action gets.
Regarding the OP's question. The CZ 550 416 Rigby I have I bought 20+ yrs ago. It is the straight stock version. Haven't had an issue with it except it "jiggles the fillings" pretty good. Did a nice job on a "big tusker" groundhog that tried to defy a 400gr RN at 20yds :ROFLMAO:

I purchased the same model for my DG hunt in South Africa a few years ago. Price point was a big concern and wanting a crf, hence the CZ 550 choice. It took a bit of polishing while watching hunting videos, trying to get as much info on DG hunting. One thing I found while reloading rounds, I used Hornady DGX 400 gr for practice and sighting in and they did not feed well, I think it was the profile of the bullet itself on the feed ramp. As i was not going to be using them for hunting it was not a big concern. I chose the Swift 400 gr A frame and 400 gr breakaway solids. they fed without any issue. Both the Hornady and Swift loaded rounds were the same C.O.L, for what its worth. Have fun and enjoy your new CZ

So I already have a .416 Ruger, but there is something in me that loves provenance. The Ruger doesn't have any and I have longed for a .416 Rigby for a long time. I just got a sweet deal on brand new hornady cases ($1 ea.) and I am looking into a rifle. When I get the Rigby, I will likely sell the Ruger with all its brass and dies and such as I have no need for two .416 rifles.

I like the CZs because they are highly customizable thanks to AHR, they seem to have a proven track record and they are inexpensive. Having said that, I have heard that they are rough out of the box and may not feed so well. Is this just a matter of breaking them in or is there some polishing and milling that can be done to smoothen them up at home? I am pretty handy and used to work for a gunsmith. I have done my own stock work, checkering, rebluing, fitting etc.

For those who own the CZ-550 in .416, would you recommend one and what are the upgrades if any, you think it needs before it can be a serviceable DG rifle? Keep in mind that I am not made of money so spending thousands of dollars is kind of out of the question. Thanks
My CZ 550 shot well out of the box. Plus you can load 4 rounds (the Company brochure said Five rounds) but 4 was the most I carried in the rifle.

My CZ 550 shot well out of the box. Plus you can load 4 rounds (the Company brochure said Five rounds) but 4 was the most I carried in the rifle.
Depends on the magazine box in the rifle. CZ use three. One with decent side dimples to stop rounds moving in the box you only get 3 down the other two, one with no dimples and one with small dimples you get 4 down. The box's may be stamped for, 416Rigby, 375H&H, 458Win. I have seen all three in CZ550 416 Rigby's. I get 4 down and 5th one in the chamber if you hunt that way. I do when by myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!