CZ 550 9.3x62, barrel mounted recoil lug, and B&C stock fit Qs

shootist~

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
I was in the process of ordering a Bell and Carlson stock for my CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 (standard length action). So I called B&C with a few questions.

The 9.3x62, like it's bigger brothers, has a 2nd recoil lug on the barrel - which I understand is removable.
The biggie is will it be a drop in fit - or will the dovetail recess on the barrel for the 2nd recoil lug be a problem?

The lady I spoke with was unaware the CZ 9.3x62 has the barrel mounted recoil lug. There is No Provision for the 2nd recoil lug on the "30-06 Standard Caliber" B&C stocks. But she said if the front lug is removable, it should fit.

Looking for your experience with same - is the raised dovetail area on the bottom of the barrel going to clear the barrel channel, or create a fitting issue?

Thanks,
Joe

Sorry Joe, only input I can offer is my 9.3X62 came from CZ wearing a B&C stock already. Those models don't have barrel lugs for some reason!

@Jeffrey
That's helpful. Thank you.

It would be easier and less invasive to set the stock up in a mill and machine a pocket for the recoil lug. 1/2 hour operation tops.
Removable is a pretty general term when it comes to guns. If the lug is high temperature sliver soldered in place you will damage the bluing heating it up hot enough for the lug to come off. If the lug is dovetailed in place any gunsmith can drive it out and fit your stock.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/cz-550-9-3x62-second-recoil-lug.50300/

@Stuart Satterlee - thank you for the suggestion.

I have not yet attempted it, but according to the above thread the second recoil lug just slides out. Someone on another forum stated they tapped it out with a brass punch (they then used a McMillan stock with no issues.)

I guess if it does not slide out - or if the dovetail area makes contact with the barrel channel, I will have some decisions to make.
Still hoping to hear from someone that's been there and done that with the Bell and Carlson stock...on a CZ 550 9.3x62.

The CZ 550 guru One Day needs to chime in.

My CZ 550 Safari Classic has the similar dovetail in the barrel. It dropped into the B&C stock without issue.

The Safari (magnum receiver), takes a different stock than the CZ 550 Standard (30-06 sized) receiver.

Right. If @One Day... has owned one in 9.3...
I ordered the B&C stock yesterday, so will find out one way or the other, fairly soon.
Hello;

I own three CZ 550 "Safari" (magnum length action) in .300 Wby, .375 H&H and .416 Rigby, and one CZ 550 "American" (standard length action) in .270 Win, and B&C stocks for the four of them.

To the best of my knowledge ALL CZ 550 Safari include the barrel recoil lug under the rear sight boss, and the B&C magnum length stock is designed to accommodate it (although it does not use its functionality).

To the best of my knowledge too ONLY SOME of the 9.3x62 CZ 550 American (e.g. I am not sure for the full stock short barrel version, and I believe the short barreled Aramid version does not) include the barrel recoil lug under the rear sight boss, and the B&C standard length stock is NOT designed to accommodate it.

However, this would not prevent me from putting a 9.3x62 CZ 550 American in a B&C stock. All that is needed is to carve with a Dremel a small recess in the forearm to nest the barrel recoil lug (after removing the sliding nut for the third screw that is not needed on a B&C stock), and depending on how anal you are about it, you can just coat the Dremel work with a quick spray of any paint to re-seal it, or you can glass-bed the lug in the recess (be careful to use plenty of release agent if doing so).

Considering that the B&C stock includes a full length (front swivel to pistol grip) aluminum bedding block with integrated bedding pillars, the barrel recoil lug is NOT needed from a functionality point of view. Whether you just coat the rough Dremel work or bed the barrel recoil lug is purely an aesthetic issue, and truth be told no-one will ever see the difference when the rifle is assembled...

Last edited:
It will be here the first of next week. Should be interesting. (n)

Hello;

I own three CZ 550 "Safari" (magnum length action) in .300 Wby, .375 H&H and .416 Rigby, and one CZ 550 "American" (standard length action) in .270 Win, and B&C stocks for the four of them.

To the best of my knowledge ALL CZ 550 Safari include the barrel recoil lug under the rear sight boss, and the B&C magnum length stock is designed to accommodate it (although it does not use its functionality).

To the best of my knowledge too ONLY SOME of the 9.3x62 CZ 550 American (e.g. I am not sure for the full stock short barrel version, and I believe the short barreled Aramid version does not) include the barrel recoil lug under the rear sight boss, and the B&C standard length stock is NOT designed to accommodate it.

However, this would not prevent me from putting a 9.3x62 CZ 550 American in a B&C stock. All that is needed is to carve with a Dremel a small recess in the forearm to nest the barrel recoil lug (after removing the sliding nut for the third screw that is not needed on a B&C stock), and depending on how anal you are about it, you can just coat the Dremel work with a quick spray of any paint to re-seal it, or you can glass-bed the lug in the recess (be careful to use plenty of release agent if doing so).

Considering that the B&C stock includes a full length (front swivel to pistol grip) aluminum bedding block with integrated bedding pillars, the barrel recoil lug is NOT needed from a functionality point of view. Whether you just coat the rough Dremel work or bed the barrel recoil lug is purely an aesthetic issue, and truth be told no-one will ever see the difference when the rifle is assembled...
That’s exactly what I would do.

I have a CZ550 American 9.3x62. It has a walnut stock, two cross bolts and no sights. I pulled it out of the safe and removed the stock a couple of hours ago to see if I could add any more info for you. There is a small recoil lug about 2-3 inches in front of the main recoil lug. The small one is not drilled for attaching to the stock and it is most definitely dovetailed into the barrel. It should be a simple matter to drift it out with a brass/plastic punch. I also checked a regular CZ550 30-06 (not "American") and it did not have the small recoil lug. I also have a 7x57 CZ550 American I could check for you if necessary. I suspect it does not have the small forward recoil lug.

When I put a B&C stock on my CZ550 Safari I drilled a hole in the fore end to use the third mounting point under the rear sight base.I used the metal sleeve from the original wood stock to line the hole. I carefully measured the diameter, drilled it on a drill press and then drilled a slightly larger hole so I could counter sink the screw. Looks great, the barrel is free floated and there's absolutely zero flex. Accuracy is very consistent.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @Bonk . Hopefully drifting the forward recoil lug out of the dovetail is all it will need. If not, then I'll take a look at using Mr. Dremel.

I recently purchased a 550 American. Bought an mpi stock set up for a 30-06. The stock was delivered today and of course it does not have a recess for the 2nd lug. It was no issue however. I just tapped the lug out with a small mallet and a block of wood.

The Bell and Carlson was delivered today. Thank you BBT!

The forward recoil lug on the 9.3x62 tapped out, right to left, with brass punch, no issues. I expected some raised metal around the dovetail, but there only the slot cut into the barrel. The barrel free floats all the way to the primary recoil lug. :) No Dremel work needed.

Installation was not without a minor issue or two:
The bottom metal was a really tight fit. Also the stock's cutout for the bottom metal is a hair too deep on the rear end, causing the floorplate to bind . I used a .01" shim between the bottom metal and stock, which appears to have fixed that issue.

Don't know how it shoots yet, but I'm happy with the looks and feel.

20200711_132956.jpg

What is the weight?

What is the weight?

Based on an older spring loaded trigger pull scale (or bathroom scales for the heavier numbers):

Stock Only - 2 Lbs, 2 Oz
Stock + CZ 550 (no scope) - 7.5 Lbs
Unloaded with Alaska Arms QD rings and Nightforce NXS 2.5x10-42 - 9.2 Lbs

About 0.7 pounds less than with the factory wood stock, btw.

Second group on paper this morning (3 @ 100M with 250 NABs) did 0.5". Very happy if that continues.

CZ550 9.3x62 B&C 100M Range Shots 071220.jpeg

Sadly that 1/2" group posted above was the only good group fired since installing the Bell & Carlson stock on the CZ 9.3x62.

49 rounds (most from the bench), two different scopes; one deep cleaning and stock screws from 35 to 50 inch pounds and it's about a 2" shooter at 100.
It was mostly from about .8 to 1.5 MOA with the wooden stock, even with it making contact on the left side of the barrel.

I just removed the stock and it's clear the recoil lug is bottomed out on the aluminum bedding block...Bright marks on steel lug and aluminum.

Possibly I just received a lemon or possibly the 9.3x62 has some small differences Vs other standard length actions; but it will have to go back.:cry: :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg