CZ 550 .458 Lott

mdsalern

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up the CZ from a private seller today. 2 hour drive. Not quite perfect, but the deal, 19 rounds and case he threw in make up for the couple of small dings. He said he shot exactly one round. If I can handle it better than he can, I’ll go see him for the .416 Rigby he offered.

Any thoughts on a scope? Or if I even need one? What is a good eye relief for this large a cartridge?

Thank you all.

E2C5ED35-FF2E-48EB-B38A-858153C05E33.jpeg

Nice score! I use Leupold VX6 Patrol 1-6 FireDot duplex on mine now. Did have the VX5 1-5 CDS FireDot on it. Any good 1-5 or 1-6 scope is my suggestion.

I would go reflex sight route with this one like I did with mine.

8.jpg

Since above picture was taken I put on a Timney trigger got rid of the glossy varnish and got the stock well oiled. Put on a barrel band and got rid of the front rifle sling stud.
I can accurately shoot something large like a wildebeest out to 200 meters with a shoulder shot because I have a 1 MOA dot on it.
Love the rifle but the recoil is something to get used to.

Thanks for the reply. I hope I can handle the recoil. Why the switch to the barrel band? I had considered a reflex but didn’t know if that would be a good solution.

What type/brand of barrel band did you go for? One that clamps on or one that is soldered on? I have been thinking of replacing my front sling stud but haven't decided on the replacement.

Reactions: CJW
AHR makes a base that works with the RMR and uses the front scope mounting area on the action. Use one on my 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs.

AHR makes a base that works with the RMR and uses the front scope mounting area on the action. Use one on my 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs.

was gonna say the same thing. That front-ring mounted reflex seems a killer combo.

Be sure to check the feeding in that rifle asap there have been 550's in that chambering that do not feed at all or do not feed well and need work.

I will check the feeding this evening.

That was my thought of where to mount a reflex sight. Any chance you would post a pic?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.49.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.49.27 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.49.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.49.28 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
I have a Leupold VX-5 HD 1-5 on mine as well. Same scope I have on my CZ550 .375 H&H Magnum. Actually taking it to the range in 2 weeks to test it with the scope, I have yet to shoot it since it was mounted and bore sighted.

I have the Safari version in 416 R, getting rid of the front swivel sling is really important, a Leupold V6 1-6 works well for me.
double check the bedding and have the recoil lug at least bedded, stock can crack if anything is loose. your guns lugs are already backed up. Have fun!

I would go trijicon accupoint 1-4 if you want a low power scope and the trijicon RMR If you go the reflex route.

I also agree you should remove the front sling swivel. Depending on how far you choke up on the for-end, you will most likely cut your hand due to the recoil. New England custom gun makes solder on barrel bands. You will need a digital/dial caliper to measure your barrel OD for the band’s ID. If the barrel is between diameters, choose the smaller diameter band as you can always take out material.
If you never plan on using a sling then don’t bother doing a barrel band.

I guessed that was the reason. This is my first big bore. I’ve always slung up tight and thought doing so with a barrel band would cause a POI shift.

Why get rid of the front swivel? I’m hoping to have fun!
People swear it's going to injure you. I'm not a believer in that.
Barrel bands have a good look to them, but the real advantage is slinging a rifle of magnum action length lower on the shoulder.

You can't use a 1907 sling for recoil management or extending your range on a barrel band because of POI shift.

People swear it's going to injure you. I'm not a believer in that.
Barrel bands have a good look to them, but the real advantage is slinging a rifle of magnum action length lower on the shoulder.

You can't use a 1907 sling for recoil management or extending your range on a barrel band because of POI shift.

Well as I have said before on the subject of sling studs in the forend...I had a brno in 416 rigby long time ago. ..and bent the quick detachable steel sling attachment under recoil with my left fore finger....it fkn hurt and thought I had broken it...the lion that I had just shot and that was rolling around I didn't give a fk about as was jumping around making sure my finger was still in one piece...while being told to shoot again...and me telling them to fk off...when could get my hand into operation again I finished it off...but when it hit my finger the priorities suddenly changed....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!