CZ 550 458 Lott feed issues

Spartan5

AH veteran
Reaction score
I recently acquired a CZ 550 in 458 Lott and I just tried to run some loads through it. The action works fine with no issues that I can see until I put a round in. I have tried a 458 Lott and a 458 Win Mag round as it will shoot both, and when the action gets to where it should lock up the round it is very hard to get it to go down and every bit as difficult to get the bolt back up. I have tired single rounds and feeding from the magazine and I don’t see any difference there. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I can post some videos of it later this evening if that would help also.

Could be dirty. I'd give it a thorough cleaning.

Not the same thing but the only time I've ever experienced that was a CZ 22 LR. Got to the point where I could not close the bolt. It is a mini Mauser claw action. 22 LR is notoriously dirty and I had a can on too. A deep clean resolved the issue.

You inspect the chamber?
I did make sure that the chamber looks normal to me. I don’t see anything in it that would cause concern. I do have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H Mag as well, and the 2 look basically identical other than a little bit bigger hole.

Could be dirty. I'd give it a thorough cleaning.

Not the same thing but the only time I've ever experienced that was a CZ 22 LR. Got to the point where I could not close the bolt. It is a mini Mauser claw action. 22 LR is notoriously dirty and I had a can on too. A deep clean resolved the issue.
Thanks, I did clean it and it had a little cleaning needed but not enough to remedy the issue.

I think I may have figured out what my issue is. After racking my brain on what could be going on, I decided to open up another box of ammo. I actually opened 2 that I KNEW were factory new ammo. Both of those I can put 5 at a time in and it feeds great. Thinking that the box of A Squared I bought was not actually new but had been reloaded and those cases are fit to whatever gun they were shot in before. The Win Mag I tried I think was reloaded too, even though it was advertised as new. Not buying anymore ammo like that on GB. If it looks to good to be true…

Hello;
If the chamber is clean, and if the action closes on an empty chamber (i.e. the locking lugs and recesses are clean), the only rational explanation is that the cartridges are oversize.
Are you using reloads?
If you are using reloads with brass shot in a chamber just a little wider, and if the brass has not been fully resized, the cartridge will not seat fully in the chamber.
My suggestion is to try with factory loads...

Just seeing you last post now. You must have clicked send while I was typing. It looks like my explanation applies...

As to purchasing reloaded ammo from a stranger on Gun Broker, all I am going to say is that you like to live dangerously :E Rofl:

Hello;
If the chamber is clean, and if the action closes on an empty chamber (i.e. the locking lugs and recesses are clean), the only rational explanation is that the cartridges are oversize.
Are you using reloads?
If you are using reloads with brass shot in a chamber just a little wider, and if the brass has not been fully resized, the cartridge will not seat fully in the chamber.
My suggestion is to try with factory loads...
Yes I think this is exactly what the issue was. Going to wait until I get to see my dad and break down those other loads to resize and start them over. Thank you.

Just seeing you last post now. It looks like my explanation applies...

As to purchasing reloaded ammo from a stranger on Gun Broker, all I am going to say is that you like to live dangerously :E Rofl:
Yes it was not advertised as such, but I think it is now clear that is the issue.

Yes it was not advertised as such, but I think it is now clear that is the issue.
You can somewhat revive them by removing the decap pin from your sizing die and running the rounds into that, but your main issue is trust and I don't trust any monkey with .458 Lott and WM loads. Too many hot rodders. Kinetic puller and then resize them and reload them if you can reconcile powder and charge weights. Bummer. I'd call the seller out on it and have them make some restitution if possible.

Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses. I really enjoy this forum and all of the knowledge and information that you all willingly share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you