AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
USA, South Africa
I am officially torn.

I have a custom 375 H&H that I initially had some issues with that the manufacturer has resolved. I took what I consider an exceptional bull with it, so it solidified itself as my primary dangerous game rifle.

Now with my 550, I cannot help but be influenced by those that say it is a nice base but needs work to be ready. I am torn on the idea of a back-up rifle as is, vs $5k of custom work, vs just letting it go since I have another 375 I am perfectly happy with.

What are the opinions out there? Is it fine as is limiting my investment, or is a stock 550 best to let go of if I am not willing to invest a lot more money to make it a solid safari worthy rifle?

Why reinvent the wheel if you are happy with current setup on the 375 H&H you would probarbly be able to sell the 550 for more than you bought it anyway.
Also the 550's are not all that much work some more than others some might be fine as is out of the box.

I have found by experience it takes about 1 days work, mostly polishing the action before it will cycle perfectly.

The 550 CZ is probably the most robust Mauser style action available in a $2,000.00 rifle. You can spent another $10,000.00 for “pretty”, if you so desire.

Do not know where your $5000 came from but the long time AHR cost of upgrade was less then $2000. To Most people that made a CZ 550 ready for Africa. Many people took their 550 to Africa as it was received. As always it is in the eyes of the beholder.
CZ one of the better base firearms.

The only thing I did with both my 550 was add an extra recoil pin in the stock, though they probably did not need this. The latter ones came with two cross pins if memory serves. Depending on the mag box they used in a 375H&H you could get 4 or 5 down and in the 416 Rigby 3 or 4 down. To tidy them up a bit you could slick the bolt up a bit but I never bothered. Both shot sub MOA groups. What's not to like for the price.

I have read posts claiming the CZ550 needs some work to make it field worthy. I brought mine home the day I bought it and noticed the bolt travel seemed just a bit rough. I applied some Flitz metal polish to the bolt. The rifle has fed as slick as butter on a hot skillet since the first range session and functioned without fail. Accuracy with a variety of hand loads has been more than sufficient to hit a jackrabbit at 300 yards. I’d say it’s up to any practical hunting job with no extra money spent.

I have the CZ 550 in a .458 Lott and it is a reliable rifle, I had to work the bolt a little bit initially to get it a little smoother but I have been happy with it since the day I bought it, and as mentioned above it’s a robust working gun!! Does a backup rifle need to be pretty? In my opinion not, you need to know that it will do what it needs to do when pull the trigger….

I am officially torn.

I have a custom 375 H&H that I initially had some issues with that the manufacturer has resolved. I took what I consider an exceptional bull with it, so it solidified itself as my primary dangerous game rifle.

Now with my 550, I cannot help but be influenced by those that say it is a nice base but needs work to be ready. I am torn on the idea of a back-up rifle as is, vs $5k of custom work, vs just letting it go since I have another 375 I am perfectly happy with.

What are the opinions out there? Is it fine as is limiting my investment, or is a stock 550 best to let go of if I am not willing to invest a lot more money to make it a solid safari worthy rifle?
Terrible, sell it! Send me your number.
My best, as always! :cool:

I just bought 2 left handed CZ 550s in 375H&H. One of them is going to be used for a 404 Jeffery build and I’m thinking about restocking the other in a synthetic stock and ceracoting to make an all weather 375 H&H. I’m looking forward to shooting them.

I already had a left handed Winchester Safari Express M70 in 375 H&H that is a great shooter. Based on how rare these 2 types of rifles are to find in LH I feel like I’d be able to get money money back if I ever decide to sell any of them.

I appreciate you guys. I really am torn with these rifles being discontinued and by the fact that I have under $1k invested in the rifle since I was at the time able to buy direct.

For a place like Matrix, which level of work solves the issues most seem to have with the 550? I have read a lot of "not quite safari ready," stocks cracking, and potential feeding issues, but I admit I do not have a firm grasp on exactly what the issues or potential issues are. I saw just as many reports of "good to go as is."

It would be great to know if any of the concerns are relevant or specific to .375H&H vs some of the much more punishing calibers.

Last edited:
CZ550 are great rifles and are and will be sadly missed in the years to come .

We (my sons and I) have a Model 70 Classic (stainless CRF) n 416 Rem and a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. No question if we had to give one up it would be the M70

I do not know if this helps to better convey my pain, but this is the buffalo I took in Africa with the custom.

Boss.jpg

FYI XL gloves are a tight fit across my hands.

Buff 2.jpg

I was initially disappointed with feeding and extraction but both were completely resolved in advance of me going to Africa. I am now working on sights which I feel are lacking if I were to remove the scope. The action has a built in base that makes the sights as-if very difficult to see. That work is still in progress. Before Africa I had decided if the sights were not exactly what I wanted, I would sell it and go with the 550. After taking a potentially once in a lifetime buffalo, there is just no way I can drop the custom.

Honestly, as I sit here typing this all out, and dedicating more time to actually thinking about it, I will keep the 550. More help from you guys will build my confidence in the rifle knowing exactly what I need to do to it, especially with the luxury of not being on any deadline to get it done.

I bought my CZ 550 in 375 H&H from the CZ Custom Shop about 11 years ago. I worked out of the box, zero issues. I had Wayne at AHR install his CZ #1 upgrade (it was $500 back then) which included his wonderful single stage trigger set at 2.5 lbs, M70 style 3 position safety and straighten and fill the bolt. So all was good, but I then felt a bit disappointed in the lack of recoil (this was my first big bore) and Harlan at Triple River rechamber/rebarrel it to 500 Jeffery. I was no longer disappointed! It did have some feeding issues so I sent it back to Harlan, then to Wayne and finally to Kevin Weaver. It's perfect now. Not too much money but time and effort getting it right. I have 400 plus full power rounds through it, zero issues. My favorite rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg