CZ 537 7x57mm or Musgrave Mauser .30-06 ?

Reiver25

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
British Association for Shooting and Conservation
The saga continues !
The CZ 537 is in very good condition, crown/barrel graded 8/10. I have a CZ 550 in .270 and they look the same, however doe the CZ 537 have slimmer barrels and does the barrel twist rate stabilise the heavier 7mm bullets ?
The Musgarve is like brand new with a new bore, I'm very interested in this as it's built on a German made Mauser (action marked "bdo" being the factory code and "43" being the year of assembly)
I know I can't legally use my .270 in Tanzania so will need another rifle thus its between these two, money wise there is very little in it.
Help me decide, I love the idea of using the classic calibre 7x57/.275 Rigby however I like the idea of the huge selection of bullet weights for the .30-06 and its is a genuine German made Mauser action.
This rifle will be used back home mostly for deer from roe to red.
I look forward to any observations and advice.
Thanks
Garry

Gary, get yourself the .30-'06... I have the 7x64 and if I was doing it all again I'd go .30-'06 (plus, a Mauser, in the former colony of German East Africa / Tanganika... you know this needs to be done!)

Would like to see a pic of the Musgrave, they are rarely seen in the states, and the ones I have seen pictures of used a commercial Mauser action not an ex military. As far as which one, I would probably opt for the '06 as it is simply more capable and the rifle is more rare as well. Pictures!!:D

I will be replacing the scope and probably mounts as well. Will not be having it screwed for a suppresser and will retain the open sights, if I decide to get it !
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

+1 for the Mauser '06.

Musgrave 30-06. My PH in Namibia had a Musgrave, I liked it a lot. And among it's other fine attributes Hemingway took an 06 to Tanzania both times he was there.

Picked up this FN 30-06 at a pawn shop for 225 $ !!!! It was dirty as hell and literally looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 30 years but what a gem, it had a cheap Simmons scope but with the $ saved from buying used in a pawn shop I have $ for a good optic

Some more images for Musgrave fans.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the 30.06

I would go with the 30-06. We just tried the 220grain bullets, knocked 3 sable down without a problem.

I would go with the 30-06. We just tried the 220grain bullets, knocked 3 sable down without a problem.

Sable can be tough too. If your first shot is iffy, they can soak up a lot of lead.

@sestoppelman , very true, sable can take a beating. I was impressed with the 220 grain performance.

Thanks for all the advice, I've bought the Musgrave. The story is the rifles owner left South Africa to live in UK and was granted a firearms certificate to bring it over.
However due to never using it when he applied for a renewal he was told that he wouldn't be allowed to keep it and should dispose of it.
Now to see how long Police Scotland will take with my variation.
Regards
Garry

Good decision and sensible buy. After having a 7x57 for eight years I wouldn't use it on anything over Red deer in size (for which it was perfect). The .30-06 will give you more versatility in Africa.

Congrats, hope it brings you many years of happy hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg