CZ 416 Rigby cartridge capacity?

Where's the CZ 550 guru One Day when you need him? He WILL know! I'll PM him.

That may be right about using up parts assembling the last runs of the 550.

And a pure guess, as I'm no CZ expert, but it occurs to me the ribs in the sides of the mag box could be to create the proper width and cartridge orientation to achieve the best staggered geometry for feeding. I think Mauser was a pioneer in developing that "best" geometry width based on the body width and shape of individual cartridges.
You may be right. Changing the box holds 4 but dont align right. Third cartridge will not lift up to the bolt. Have to cycle twice one empty and for load.
I Am leaving it alone and use it as it is with out tinkering for safety reasons. 3 rounds are more than enough if the shooter does his job.

The top cartridge doesn't contact much of the magazine box , it is actually sitting in the milled part of the receiver. If you look at the box it sits a fair bit down . Each caliber seems to have a different profile milled into the receiver to help the cartridge enter the chamber. I know my 375 profiles are different than the 416.You can sort of see in this pic the radius where the cartridge sits, it does not actually contact the recesses in the mag box for the top round.

PXL_20210106_201002335.jpg
PXL_20210106_201045044.jpg

Last edited:
My CZ in 458 lott holds 6 Federal 500gr trophy bonded bearclaws in the magazine, haven't tried any other rounds because I have 11 boxes of this stuff and am happy with it being "my round."

It'll be going into a Bell and Carlson when she gets back from the smith, hopefully this doesn't affect that.

I went to one of my local gunshops today to check the three new CZ 550 416 Rigbys that they still have in stock . Two are CZ 550 barreled actions and one is CZ 550 Magnum Lux . The two barreled actions have 375 H&H magazine boxes that have indentations . The Lux Model also has indentations and I assume it also has a 375 H&H magazine box , all of them only have 3 Round magazine Capacity .

1ABB8570-EF3A-4ED7-BEC9-95D02D5E0B08.jpeg
4C65657D-4704-4FD3-8103-D20721B37EC4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't think of why they would use a 375 box other than having a surplus of them. The two cartridges are very different.

The machining under the feed rails is caliber specific. The Rigby has a different profile closer to the action than the 375's I have for sure.

I have not read all this thread so this may have been covered. The CZ550 416 Rigby can have one of 3 mag boxes in it, yes all in 416 Rigby. One has the well protruding circular indentations to stop bullet nosed hitting front of mag box. This is a 3 down mag. The other 2 hold 4 down. One has slight squarish indentations that are small and the other has none. I have seen all three with 416 Rigby on the box along with other calibres, mainly 375H&H

If one that holds 4 down will only take 3 down chances are the magazine spring needs to be seated properly on the floor plate.

It is economic for manufacturers to use the same boxes for different calibres wherever possible. The box width is the most important dimension and of course most cartridges taper to the front and so does the box. I would suggest that CZ use the 375 box because it is most similar to the ideal shape.

It is a big problem I have with all manufacturers. They cut corners to make a buck. Instead of setting up jigs and fittings for each new calibre, they simply pick the closest part and see if it works well enough. So from what I have seen, magazine boxes for CZ come in two types 375 and 458. Reciever width just under the rails is pretty much the same for all calibres.

My brother has an interesting issue with his CZ 416 rigby. After about 20 or 30 rounds, the recoil obviously flexes the stock and his magazine box starts to bow inwards on both sides. It results in the second and third rounds jumping out of the magazine when he ejects his first round. He takes the box out and bends it back out with his fingers. My 458 Lott doesn't seem to do it.

Your factory CZ 416 Rigby should definitely hold 4 in the mag with the bolt down. Freely and not squash them tight.

Mine was fine from the factory, but I didnt like the shape of the nasty low classic no cheek piece butt. So I had a nice custom stock made from a lovely dense walnut blank.. however when it was finished it only took 3 and almost 4. The action screws were also clamping down on the mag box and not on the walnut properly. So some shims were made, fixed.! The action screws clamp floor-plate to stock to action... like all other such rifles, and the magazine box should be slightly floating/ or not clamped/ not squashed if you know what I mean. An exaggeration is the box holding the floor-plate away from timber, and 2 box screw points bending as tightened, trying to reach the timber.. not good.. (that was my case)... and 90% sure your same problem.
So a gunsmith or stock-maker can fix it easy. Mine feeds fantastic, slow, med, fast, great carry weight, and well worn. I had a barrel band fitted, and barrel shortened to 24.. but if today would leave at 25".

20190602_181845.jpg

Your factory CZ 416 Rigby should definitely hold 4 in the mag with the bolt down. Freely and not squash them tight.

Mine was fine from the factory, but I didnt like the shape of the nasty low classic no cheek piece butt. So I had a nice custom stock made from a lovely dense walnut blank.. however when it was finished it only took 3 and almost 4. The action screws were also clamping down on the mag box and not on the walnut properly. So some shims were made, fixed.! The action screws clamp floor-plate to stock to action... like all other such rifles, and the magazine box should be slightly floating/ or not clamped/ not squashed if you know what I mean. An exaggeration is the box holding the floor-plate away from timber, and 2 box screw points bending as tightened, trying to reach the timber.. not good.. (that was my case)... and 90% sure your same problem.
So a gunsmith or stock-maker can fix it easy. Mine feeds fantastic, slow, med, fast, great carry weight, and well worn. I had a barrel band fitted, and barrel shortened to 24.. but if today would leave at 25".

View attachment 387830
If it is the rifle on the buff it looks like it has seen some use . I love the look of well used, not abused , rifles.

It has been too cold to shoot here, and will be for another week.

Could you take a peek at the Inside of the mag box and see if it is straight walled or if it has the protrusions on the side? Thanks a bunch!

Craig

So I just pulled out a CZ catalogue from when I bought my rifle. 416 rugby lux lists 3 rounds in the magazine. That is the one with the hogsback stock. The American safari version lists 4 rounds in the magazine. So it depends on the version you have.

I have the American, says 4 on the box, three in the manual. 3 on the czusa website at the time as well. Not sure if website is still up.

So I just pulled out a CZ catalogue from when I bought my rifle. 416 rugby lux lists 3 rounds in the magazine. That is the one with the hogsback stock. The American safari version lists 4 rounds in the magazine. So it depends on the version you have.
My 416 Rigby is the CZ 550 Lux with the Bavarian style ( hogsback ) stock and it takes 4 in the mag .

View attachment 387830

Again, no it shouldn't. It depends on the magazine box fitted. See my earlier post. The CZ550 416 Rigby comes with one of three different magazine boxes. The bit in your post about rectifying a problem mag is true if it is a 4 round box fitted.

Again, no it shouldn't. It depends on the magazine box fitted. See my earlier post. The CZ550 416 Rigby comes with one of three different magazine boxes. The bit in your post about rectifying a problem mag is true if it is a 4 round box fitted.
Point taken.. Ive owned 2 Rigby big games in 416, supposed to be the same, and one of them needed a tweek in the floor plate bedding adjustment (nice feature) then it took 4 properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg