CZ 416 Rigby cartridge capacity?

Took a picture with box removed, you can see how far it pushes cartridge over away from the edge of the box. It loses a lot of room in the mag from this. The 458 box has heaps more room .

PXL_20210104_165306285.jpg

My 550 416 Rigby feeds and takes 3 with no issues, thank to Wayne. However I took the ba out of the stock for cleaning and noticed that the mag box was stamped 375. You may have the same .

Yes mine is stamped 375 as well. It will take three down and one up , but wouldn't take 4 down. I can get 4 down now , but I am still not happy how the 4th tilts up . It could result In It not being picked up. With three down perfect every time , with loaded ammo . I will play with it some more later today, but still not satisfied and would not rely on it having four down and one up the spout. Although it fits much better now, it is still not perfect. It has to be perfect if you are going to use it for hunting.

The 375 I have from AHR, my old 375 , and my 458 Lott are perfect, never a hiccup no matter what I have loaded or how I work the bolt.

I want this 416 to be perfect as well. It is damn slick with three down.

Hi Krish .
Re the CZ 550 416 Rigby magazine I hope the photos as attached help , I dont have any indentations except for the rails that the bolt slides on . I am not a photographer so I apologize if not upto standard .

611EBC7A-3057-475B-8389-B448E505C548.jpeg
6D6A1DCE-A570-4739-9F12-9A30BA9C42C3.jpeg
45B2A6E0-530C-4E2B-BE35-F47905CA218A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey MB,
Best way to answer your question is to call Wayne at AHR and ask. He WILL know
I hate to bother him as I know he is extremely busy. If I needed it in a hurry for an upcoming trip I would shoot him an email. I don't imagine many have his experience with the cz rifles!

Ok, I’m slow. But what is the purpose of the indentation? I’ll have to check my CZs to see if they have them.

@CoElkHunter
indentation suppose to keep the cartridge from sliding forward in high recoil and push the projectile deeper. That can cause high pressure. Could have been a design change later in the production cycle. I don't know. The plain box takes 4 rigby's and the indented takes only 3.
Krish
The indented box still takes 5 458 lott's.

Last edited:
Yes all my ,375 boxes take 5 lotts as well, they take up too much room. With the 375 case for 4 rights. With the 458 box, lots of room for 4 rights. If the lotts do not have a problem with them sliding forward , the Rigby should be fine .

The big dents in the box may have something to do with feeding, but the case is out of the box mostly by the time it is being fed.

I checked with numrich I think, they have 375 boxes in stock, no 458 boxes.

Well after looking at several boxes I figured it out. The new 416 rigbys come with a larger indentation. So there are 3 different boxes.

Well after looking at several boxes I figured it out. The new 416 rigbys come with a larger indentation. So there are 3 different boxes.
It seems weird to me that your 416 Rigby would have a different magazine box with these indentations that restrict its capacity . Has anyone found out from CZ what their answer is regarding this issue ? I suspect maybe the wrong magazine box was installed at the factory .

Mine has the same box marked 375 as well. Frustrating because with such a huge rifle they should be able to fit 4 in it, and with the 458 mag box four fits easily, and feeds well.

I wonder if those that have the Cz that will fit four down what their mag box is marked as.

I think the Rigby and Mausers rifles in 416 currently made hold four down, so the big cz should as well.

If I am correct the CZ 550s in 416 Rigby were marketed as holding 4 rounds . I recently saw two CZ 550 barreled actions in 416 Rigby and they both had magazine boxes marked 375 H&H , maybe with the latest ( last ) batch of 550 magnum rifles it was a matter of mix and matching parts in order to use up what was available in the factory without incurring additional costs ?

I have mine working nice now with four in the magazine. I can depress top round to load it 4+1.

I will have to shoot it a fair bit to ensure it functions perfect every time, but for now it seems pretty darn good. Took a bit of time polishing and filing the mag box . Purchasing a 458box would have been easier and have the same results I think.
PXL_20210106_205944879.jpg

Last edited:
Now I remember where I seen it said 4 round fixed magazine, it was on the dang box it came in!!
Yet on the bill from the gun store it stated 3+1 capcity.....

PXL_20210106_224003730.jpg

PXL_20210106_224312993.jpg

Owners manual shows 4 for the 458 , 3 for the Rigby...... 5 of the
PXL_20210106_224657786.jpg
458 fit easily...

I guess I should have read the owners manual before I started pissing with it, but what's the fun in that.

Owners manual shows 4 for the 458 , 3 for the Rigby...... 5 of the View attachment 382793458 fit easily...

I guess I should have read the owners manual before I started pissing with it, but what's the fun in that.
Yeah, but nobody does that. Cram as many cartridges as the magazine will hold and then send some bullets down range! Ha! Ha!

At some stage it was definitely marketed as a 4 round magazine capacity for the 416 Rigby . It seems to have been changed fairly recently . I also found an advert on the internet from here in SA where it still says 4 round mag capacity .

68B826CB-20D0-409A-967D-0BB86B1BC233.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That may be right about using up parts assembling the last runs of the 550.

And a pure guess, as I'm no CZ expert, but it occurs to me the ribs in the sides of the mag box could be to create the proper width and cartridge orientation to achieve the best staggered geometry for feeding. I think Mauser was a pioneer in developing that "best" geometry width based on the body width and shape of individual cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg