Cutting holes in steel bases (scope mounts)

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I have an pre-64 M70 that has rear mount hole spacing .435:. The scope I want to put on the rifle has a 30mm tube. the scope presently has Leupold STD dovetail/pivot rings which I would like to retain. The problem is that all the Leupold/Redfield bases that I find are either .86 or .33". The bases are quite hard and I understand are made by the sintered process which is quite resistant to drilling. Is there some way to cut a hole in the existing base that will maintain the integrity of the base and not cost more than getting a new set of bases and rings?

Warne has bases for those old Winchesters, just be careful when you order to get the right ones.

If you could find a machine shop with CNC a carbide end mill would be up to the task.
Shawn

After further investigation the attempts to get either bases that would fit the rifle and match to Leupold dovetail pivot rings, or 30mm rings to fit the Weaver style bases I gave up and ordered a set of Talley bases and QD rings. So the rifle should be set- I just have a set of mis-matched rings and bases- oh well, such a problem to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross