Cutting Edge Raptor for Leopard?

eyedok

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
tanzania,namibia,couth africa
Anyone with experience of cutting edge raptors for leopard? I have a leopard/elephant hunt in Zambia next year and was considering a 230gr raptor bullet in .375 for leopard - i have no experience with this bullet but plan on trying it out on whitetails/muleys this fall and am hoping i can find a load that will have same point of impact as 300 gr cutting edge solid? Anybody used 230 raptor in .375?

I'd go with the 275 grain raptor which will have an easier chance for same point of impact as 300 gr solid. It has a closer BC to the solid and you won't have to play with the speed as much.

Are you using the same gun for elephant and leopard?

Was considering it, thought it would be easier. After seeing how a lion reacted to my Barnes TSX this year, i thought the Raptor sounded like a good bullet for leopard.

Leopards aren’t too hard to kill if hit in the right place. I’d make having a soft and a solid with a similar point of impact the priority.

Were it me, I would use a 300 gr SP with the same POI as my solid. You will shoot your leopard inside 100 meters, and too light and fragile a bullet may do extensive exit wound damage. A 300 in the correct spot will be decisive, and anything in the wrong spot will be a problem.

I shot a lion with this PH a couple months ago with a Barnes TSX that punched a hole and left us with a 150 yard follow up in the dark - so he recommended a more fragile bullet that would do more damage for leopard, he recommended a Nosler Ballistic Tip in my 300HH, but i thought of maybe just bringing one gun, i have alot of back problems and the double gun case and two guns was sure getting heavy, plus if taking two guns would like to take a double this time

I have used federal premium in 300 grain sledgehammer solids and trophy bonded bear claws as kind of a do it all set up.

I’ve seen two leopards shot with the bear claws and both hit the ground like a sack of potatoes dead under the tree. Maybe some people with more experience will chime in.

A more traditional lead core soft point might be a better option.

Reactions: IvW
The 235 grain CEB is absolutely devastating on cats, and PG for that matter.

You'll be pushing 3000 fps with that caliber and bullet combo and the combination of speed and shock is again, devastating. I'd use it on cats again and again and again over a traditional, and now outdated, 300 grain bullet from the same rifle.

I would use a 260 Nosler part at 2800 fps for leopard and 300 gr Nosler monos for Ellie. I like a two scope setup in qd rings. I also sight in the open sights with the 300 solids as elephant will be close.

Anyone with experience of cutting edge raptors for leopard? I have a leopard/elephant hunt in Zambia next year and was considering a 230gr raptor bullet in .375 for leopard - i have no experience with this bullet but plan on trying it out on whitetails/muleys this fall and am hoping i can find a load that will have same point of impact as 300 gr cutting edge solid? Anybody used 230 raptor in .375?
260 gr Accubond is an excellent bullet for Leopard in a 375 H&H....@2750fps it is a killer on leopard.....

My preferred leopard combination in Africa, is the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and the 300 Gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw premium grade soft point. As a matter of fact, I use this combination almost exclusively in Africa for most of my hunting purposes.

The 275 gr Raptor and the 300 gr. Solid in 375. are designed as a shooting pair with the same point of Impact. (Most CEB bullet are are designed in a Raptor/Solid pair. Some times you have to adjust the powder weight a bit.)

The 230 Raptor would be super for Leopard and PG as well.

The Accubond is a different story. It is a very popular bullet with American hunters. In my personal opinion it is an outdated, cup and core, shred to shit, bullet. It is not too bad at low velocities but it usually loses 40% of its weight at standard velocities. I would never use it on a serious hunt in Africa. It is great when it works but I would never rely on it. I'm just telling it the way it is.

A friend used a .458 300 grain Nosler Protected Point at 2200 fps on this big old male and nailed it to the sand where it was eating a farmers goat. Perfect mushroom as the skin stretched as did the sand. He did use the same rifle on spots as he did on ele and buff.
53797_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 275 gr Raptor and the 300 gr. Solid in 375. are designed as a shooting pair with the same point of Impact. (Most CEB bullet are are designed in a Raptor/Solid pair. Some times you have to adjust the powder weight a bit.)

The Accubond is a different story. It is a very popular bullet with American hunters. In my personal opinion it is an outdated, cup and core, shred to shit, bullet. It is not too bad at low velocities but it usually loses 40% of its weight at standard velocities. I would never use it on a serious hunt in Africa. It is great when it works but I would never rely on it. I'm just telling it the way it is.
surprising to me that you've really experienced 40% weight loss with the Accubond. While ive never used that bullet in Africa; I have always regarded it as a fairly tough bullet for NA game. Never found one to weigh or even look at, including Nilgai and Aoudad.

I had great success with the Accubond in Africa on game that weighed hundreds of pounds. From what I've heard from cat guys it's the type of bullet you want for thin skinned leopard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross