Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
Hi Guys,

Have a trip coming up in May, first one! Hoping to take a Gemsbok, Kudu, Black Wildebeest, and Impala. Probably using Bullseye for the taxidermy in country, shoulder mounts, Kudu on pedestal. Have their pricing on hand.

I'm curious as to if anyone can post their shipping and customs fees for a recent and similar sized shipment, say last 3 years? Just trying to put down on paper for my own budget. I know this is a ever changing area, but any real world numbers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

On my trip this last May I brought home a kudu, gemsbok, impala, springbok, black wildebeest, and a euro on my blestbuck. I also had the taxidermist in South Africa do the tail of the black wildebeest for me. They also did the dip and pack and crating for the shipment to Colorado here in the US. When everything was done it was just under $4000 for everything.

I used SSI to take care of everything and they took care of everything for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim,

Just to clarify, $4000 for dipping, packing, crating, shipping, and customs? Sounds like you had the trophies done here?

Yes, the mounts are being done here in the US. I have heard of too many problems with mounts being done in South Africa and then you have to have them repaired here in the US with very little recourse with the taxidermist in South Africa. There are plenty of competent taxidermist here in the US that can take care of what you want your mounts to look like.

If you have any doubts or questions on getting them mounted in the US just get in touch with Dennis at Artistry of Wildlife here on the forum and he'll take care of you.

I'm curious as to if anyone can post their shipping and customs fees for a recent and similar sized shipment, say last 3 years? ............

Volumetric weight will be the issue. How big will the crate end up being?

What is the Destination?

Brokerage Fees and Customs - Reading peoples reports is the last while $250 to $500. All depends how crazy they feel like being to process some paper.

In January/February I should have some new data points for you.

Thanks Brickburn,

Final destination is Chicago, IL. Crate size I'm a little unsure about. Looking at photos I would guess at least 6'x4'x4'.

I would still get in touch with Dennis, he is located in Michigan so your shipping from him to you won't be very bad and he hand delivers. SSI also has a office in Chicago if you have a local taxidermist.

Thanks Brickburn,

Final destination is Chicago, IL. Crate size I'm a little unsure about. Looking at photos I would guess at least 6'x4'x4'.

http://international.dhl.ca/en/tools/volumetric_weight_express.html

1194 Lbs Volumetric weight by DHL
542.72 Kg * 15.00/Kg.

Sending by courier to Pond Inlet Domestic rates
That will come out to $8140.00

Note Courier rates are insane.

Ask SSI for an ESTIMATE, is the easiest way to get the info.

Also, for your entertainment ask for an ESTIMATE.
Safari Cargo info@safaricargo.co.za

I recently used Bullseye for finished taxidermy. My entire shipping costs to Atlanta were about $1100. That included two impala shoulder mounts, a blue wildebeest shoulder mount, a zebra flatskin, and two additional backskins. I think the weight was about 150 lbs. I used Coppersmith for clearing services for an additional $350.

I used swift dip on my last two trips in 2013 and 2015 and to dip and pack and crate cost about $1000-1200 for each trip for 8-10 animals including kudu,gemsbok,wildebeest etc. I used safari cargo systems for shipping and coppersmith for importing and clearing customs and shipping to taxidermist etc. which cost a total of $1500-1700 per trip. Both trips cost about $2500-3000 total for each group of trophies deliveried to the taxidermist door here in the USA. This did not include any taxidermy.

Hope this info helps. Good luck on your trip in May

I did very similar work to what you're thinking.... the kudu on a pedestal is awesome... but adds a lot to the shipping cost if you do the work over there. I want to say shipping/customs to my door in Kansas City was about $4000. Crate was about 6*3*4

Hi TTundra
I had four animals dip and shipped to Chicago in July August.
Costs $1100 for prep and crating in SA. This included one Red Hardebeest hide tanned that was $180 and made it spend extra time in SA. Would have only been $920 if I wouldn't have done that. $410 for shipping to Chicago from Johannesburg. I had two small crates since one of my trophies was a Warthog. You would not have that problem, and $390 to clear customs in Chicago.
I also used Coppersmith and had great help.
My mount should be done this week with Dennis. He is at a bear camp in North Carolina? If you are in the Chicago area Dennis will deliver your finished trophies for $1 a mile from his shop.
His work is amazing I just stopped by his shop last Wednesday to see him and my trophies in progress. Check out Artistry of Wildlife's web site.

Thank you all for your postings and information!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg