Custom ruger no1 thoughts

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have a ruger no1 that started out as a 458 lott, 3 years ago (yes i know, long time) i left it with a local gunsmith to rechamber it to 500 ne which then got changed to 50-110 (found another in 500 i purchased). Anyways, gunsmith recently passed and i now have a disassembled ruger no1 with a lilja match grade 1 in 15" .510 barrel chambered in 50-110.

Fairly certail the falling block still needs relieved for the rim. All thats been done is threading and chambering the new barrel

But my dilemma now is that 50-110 brass is currently unavailable unless i trust someone on gunbroker and dies are nonexistent unless i want to pay an exorbitant amount for them.

Figured my options are to continue with 50-110, put a new 458 barrel on and chamber for 458 lott again or i could get it rechambered to 500 nitro possibly? Other caliber ideas with the current barrel or?

If i went with 500 nitro, would i be able to just ream it again and be good to go or?

Anyone got some ideas/input? Not in a huge hurry but would like to finally finish this project and get it up and running for moose and bear and maybe Africa some day

Did you manage to retrieve the original 458 Lott barrel? Who not just re-assemble in original trim?

You could also go with 50 Alaskan! I just sold an Encore pistol in it and you could play with 50Bmg bullets. 500 nitro would also shoot them.

If my memory serves me, the 50/110 winchester and the 50/90 sharps are almost exactly the same case with the rim diameter of the 50/110 be a bit larger. If you don't find 50/110 brass I could send you a few rounds of 50/90 brass to try.

There's brand new Starline brass on GB. What's the problem with it? Or put up some wanted ads on some forums. Pony up for the dies, get the gun finished for the 50-110 by someone reputable and move on is my vote. Or just sell the parts and put the money you would have spent on it towards an Africa trip and take the 500 you bought.

If I understand this correctly; it's a Ruger No 1 set up for a 458 Lott that is desired to be fit to a .50" barrel. So how about this thought: Have the 50 cal barrel chambered to a necked-out 375 RUM. The rim is .532" and will fit the No 1 extractor as is. The case is wide enough the with minimal taper it could have a sharp shoulder for headspace purposes and still have enough diameter to hold a .51" bullet.

I’d turn it into a fine .375 H&H Mag. & enjoy. That ctg. Is well thought of in Africa too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg