Custom cartridge pouch

Kimberwarrior45

Reaction score
I had an concept for a custom cartridge pouch and from my drawings and explanations Daniel Thor at Thor’s Hammer Custom Leather made it come true, even improving on my ideas and added features. This pouch is hand sewn and not done by machine. This pouch is for 458 Lott but also fits 45-110 and even 45-70. I wanted a pouch that fully protected the rounds. It is two tier with solids on the bottom tier and soft points on the upper tier. The soft point tips are protected from deformation by cutout for the nose of the bullets. I chose 5 rounds per tier because it kept the overall width of the pouch down, used half a box of commercial ammo, but also would fill my CZ 550 magazine. The spacing is designed to ease the grabbing of a round when under stress, allow a finger between the rounds when grabbing two round at the same time (for a future double rife if fortune smiles upon me) and if wearing gloves. A feature of the pouch allows replacement of the cartridge loop panels without having to replace the pouch. The panels would not come out no matter how hard or fast I pulled the cartridges so I have no worry about them coming out at the wrong time. The pouch is silent and there is no clinking of brass or metal when walking or pulling a round. The belt loops are as low as possible to keep from having the pouch dig into your thigh when sitting. The drain holes are grommets and are in-between the rounds. What do you think and do you see any features that experience says would be good to have?
IMG_0825 (2).JPG
IMG_0826 (2).JPG
IMG_0828 (2).JPG
IMG_0829 (2).JPG
IMG_0830.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an concept for a custom cartridge pouch and from my drawings and explanations Daniel Thor at Thor’s Hammer Custom Leather made it come true, even improving on my ideas and added features. This pouch is hand sewn and not done by machine. This pouch is for 458 Lott but also fits 45-110 and even 45-70. I wanted a pouch that fully protected the rounds. It is two tier with solids on the bottom tier and soft points on the upper tier. The soft point tips are protected from deformation by cutout for the nose of the bullets. I chose 5 rounds per tier because it kept the overall width of the pouch down, used half a box of commercial ammo, but also would fill my CZ 550 magazine. The spacing is designed to ease the grabbing of a round when under stress, allow a finger between the rounds when grabbing two round at the same time (for a future double rife if fortune smiles upon me) and if wearing gloves. A feature of the pouch allows replacement of the cartridge loop panels without having to replace the pouch. The panels would not come out no matter how hard or fast I pulled the cartridges so I have no worry about them coming out at the wrong time. The pouch is silent and there is no clinking of brass or metal when walking or pulling a round. The belt loops are as low as possible to keep from having the pouch dig into your thigh when sitting. The drain holes are grommets and are in-between the rounds. What do you think and do you see any features that experience says would be good to have?View attachment 193796 View attachment 193797 View attachment 193798 View attachment 193799 View attachment 193800

Really great looking and functional.
Congratulations.

Between your concept and their execution I believe you have one fine cartridge pouch! Well done!

I definitely like the differentiation between soft and solids, especially if you practice making choices before you go.

My only question is when you open it on your belt does the top stay truly popped up and out of the way? If so, that's a nice design.

Open cartridge holders are "better" when you need them, but less practical for the average hunter (the one I use is covered, but opens easily with one hand, and stays open once opened.

It seems you considered everything I would have thought of and more. I have questions about the closure, since I have never met one I liked. Is it a snap? Any estimate on how long it will last? Does it reclose easily? I don't have any ideas on how to improve closures, but on my stuff they fail, or pull out. I think this is a wonderful cartridge holder. Just raising the weak point I find in those I have used. Thanks for sharing it.

Looks very nice sir! Interested as the others are about the functionality.

Very nice work and the design is very functional.

Good all around job, meaning. design, material, and implementation. Have you had it to the field yet?

Lacking your talents with leather and hunting experience, I had to settle for a .45-70 :
cartridge holder that slides on a belt:

These loops hold .405 - 45-90 for me with softs forward.

Attachments

• 51957_600x400.jpg
    51957_600x400.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 159
The problem I find with leather cartridge holders is that during storage if they do not have cartridges in them the leather tends to lose its shape, but if it holds cartridges, the shape is good but the chemicals in the leather cause the brass to go green and coat the inside of the loops. Anyone found a solution to this, other than what I do, have some dummy rounds loaded and periodically remove them and clean the loops?

I understand your concern, particularly if brass cartridges are left in the leather for months ( as in a ready to go pistol belt).
Is this limited to brass cases or will the shiny chrome plated looking cases do the same?If not, your dummy rounds could be the c

It seems you considered everything I would have thought of and more. I have questions about the closure, since I have never met one I liked. Is it a snap? Any estimate on how long it will last? Does it reclose easily? I don't have any ideas on how to improve closures, but on my stuff they fail, or pull out. I think this is a wonderful cartridge holder. Just raising the weak point I find in those I have used. Thanks for sharing it.
The closure is called, I believe, a Sam Brown Post and Daniel Thor approved this type of closure based on my perceived requirements and it works great. This type of closure has been used for at least a century in the American west. It is totally silent. Once you pull up on the flap, I do this with my fingers then swipe up with the heal of my hand grabbing cartridges on the upstroke, the slit in the leather slides over the post and will not engage until I purposely push it back over the post. To secure it I don't have to fidget with it because the flap falls right where it should to quickly secure it again. The flap does not stay up once opened but it is easily moved upward allowing even quicker access to the rounds than when closed (I think I just stated the obvious- sorry). As to longevity I have seen pre-WWII pouches that still work with this closure and provided I do my part will probably outlast me.

That sounds great. I will seek this out. Thanks.

The problem I find with leather cartridge holders is that during storage if they do not have cartridges in them the leather tends to lose its shape, but if it holds cartridges, the shape is good but the chemicals in the leather cause the brass to go green and coat the inside of the loops. Anyone found a solution to this, other than what I do, have some dummy rounds loaded and periodically remove them and clean the loops?
Daniel Thor warned me about the chemical reaction of leather and brass and said there really isn't a way to prevent it. I have used a dowel rod of the approximate diameter to keep the shape of leather loops. I didn't have any worry about chemical reaction but with lower quality leather the stain would sometimes transfer to the wood but I didn't view that as a problem since the dowels are expendable

The closure is called, I believe, a Sam Brown Post and Daniel Thor approved this type of closure based on my perceived requirements and it works great. This type of closure has been used for at least a century in the American west. It is totally silent. Once you pull up on the flap, I do this with my fingers then swipe up with the heal of my hand grabbing cartridges on the upstroke, the slit in the leather slides over the post and will not engage until I purposely push it back over the post. To secure it I don't have to fidget with it because the flap falls right where it should to quickly secure it again. The flap does not stay up once opened but it is easily moved upward allowing even quicker access to the rounds than when closed (I think I just stated the obvious- sorry). As to longevity I have seen pre-WWII pouches that still work with this closure and provided I do my part will probably outlast me.

Daniel Thor warned me about the chemical reaction of leather and brass and said there really isn't a way to prevent it. I have used a dowel rod of the approximate diameter to keep the shape of leather loops. I didn't have any worry about chemical reaction but with lower quality leather the stain would sometimes transfer to the wood but I didn't view that as a problem since the dowels are expendable
Very intersting stuff. Thanks for the info gentleman. I really like the style of this cartridge pouch

That is a great idea. I may have to try that. The brass would make the leather nasty if left in for too long, and the loops would shrink too much when left empty for too long. I have gravitated away from leather loops because of this and went back to leather with elastic loops (like those made by Murray Custom Leather). I will bring out my leather loops and try the dowel idea.

m70 416 mag2.jpe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross