Custom .416 Rigby CZ For Sale

UH-1N Pilot

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Scotland, United States
I just listed my custom CZ .416 Rigby for sale with tangoyankee.com on gunbroker. I set up this gun for my cape buffalo trip but was not able to bring it along. It was customized by Triple River Gunsmithing - a CZ custom shop - with:

- Bbl shortened to 20-inches
- New replacement front sight
- Barrel band for sling
- Replacement stock so no holes from removing the front stud
- Jeweled bolt
- New and better recoil pad
- Rear sight w/ 1 fixed and 2 folding
- 2 screw inlay rear stud

Evolution Gun Works (EGW) used this gun to tool up for a removable rail for this series of rifles. You get what is one of the first couple of picatinny rails EGW made for the 550.

I shot less than 200 rounds through the rifle.

I'm keeping my .458 and selling this gun.

Same gun from CZ would run you about US$2500.00. Take a look at tangoyankee.com and read the preview or use this link to his gunbroker listings. Opening bid is starting at US$1100.00.

Happy hunting.

Paul

Last edited:
A link to GB listing would help!

Reactions: BWH

Attachments

• Screenshot (502).png
    Screenshot (502).png
    300.1 KB · Views: 324
Did you ever chrono your load and if so, any info on the load and what you saw?

Did you ever chrono your load and if so, any info on the load and what you saw?

Funny you should ask that. I, too, wondered if sawing off 4 - 5 inches of bbl would make a big difference I did some web searching and ran into a discussion with one experienced hunter who said something to the effect (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he shortened his .416 Rigby barrel and the last elephant he shot did not notice a difference. With his commentary I never bothered to run it through a chrony before or after surgery. I did not notice any difference in handling nor during shooting after shortening. I shot mostly (if not only) Hornady and Federal ammo and accuracy remained very good (in fact, TangoYankee.com will be listing 10 - 12 boxes of factory ammo plus brass plus bullets plus an unused die set for sale after the gun sells).

The gunsmith at Triple River who did the work commented that he really liked the end result and he even mentioned that such an end result gun would be a nice one to offer from the factory.

Hope that helps.

Funny you should ask that. I, too, wondered if sawing off 4 - 5 inches of bbl would make a big difference I did some web searching and ran into a discussion with one experienced hunter who said something to the effect (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he shortened his .416 Rigby barrel and the last elephant he shot did not notice a difference. With his commentary I never bothered to run it through a chrony before or after surgery. I did not notice any difference in handling nor during shooting after shortening. I shot mostly (if not only) Hornady and Federal ammo and accuracy remained very good (in fact, TangoYankee.com will be listing 10 - 12 boxes of factory ammo plus brass plus bullets plus an unused die set for sale after the gun sells).

The gunsmith at Triple River who did the work commented that he really liked the end result and he even mentioned that such an end result gun would be a nice one to offer from the factory.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the follow up. I enjoy shorter barrels than most and with some time and playing with powder have always had great results in 21"-22". Truthfully, I was hoping you had run some loads thru a chrono, but I do very much appreciate your honesty. My current 416 load does very well out to 250 yards and further if I do my part...so I am curious at what yours could do if I at least what the load and velocity was.

Thank you for the follow up. I enjoy shorter barrels than most and with some time and playing with powder have always had great results in 21"-22". Truthfully, I was hoping you had run some loads thru a chrono, but I do very much appreciate your honesty. My current 416 load does very well out to 250 yards and further if I do my part...so I am curious at what yours could do if I at least what the load and velocity was.

I was going to play around with reloading some 350 grain ballistic tipped boat tail TSX for this gun but just never got around to doing so. I'm not big into reloading so ... . The TSX needs to be at or above 1700 fps to work (at least according to the factory rep) and getting that at normal hunting yardages (under 150-yards) would be a nice light load for this heavy gun. In fact, I think I have three boxes of unloaded bullets with the ammo that will be listed/sold after the rifle.

With all that customization.... what kind of accuracy are you getting? No BS please. How many rounds through it?

With all that customization.... what kind of accuracy are you getting? No BS please. How many rounds through it?

I've put about 200 rounds through it - give or take. I shot mostly Hornady stuff through it, some Federal and I had one box of custom loaded rounds from some custom loading place out west. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I shot this gun but I'd bet I've not shot it in 3 or so years. That custom loaded stuff did not hold a candle to the factory Hornady and Federal stuff. My memory is that the Hornady stuff was slightly better than the Federal. Planning to use this gun for buffalo I shot at two distances - 25 and 100 yards. At 25 a real tight cloverleaf was the norm and at 100 it was maybe 2 inches or so. I never shot it beyond 100 yards as I was planning for Cape buffalo in thick cover. I wound up traveling alone for that trip so this gun never went to Africa (when traveling internationally and alone I never take a gun, I use those of my guides). But I can tell you that after 4 trips to Africa I'd not hesitate to take this gun. FWIW: I'm selling this Rigby as I have a .458 that was owned by a close friend - I got that gun after he died and I plan to use that gun for all my trips to Africa involving dangerous game. He and I took our first safari together and that .458 has a special meaning.

Keep in mind that I'm not a precision shooter. I do not strive for the smallest grouping but look for accuracy that is consistent. I try to keep it simple. If a gun consistently groups small enough for the animal and distance I'm planning for I call it good and go hunting. Acceptable accuracy for my night time .223 coyote gun is different than my daytime .22 for squirrels which is different than my go-to 9.3x62 general purpose Africa gun.

Hope that helps.

@UH-1N Pilot I almost bought it the other day, been watching it for a while considering.

Nice wood on that stock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.