Currently watching a rifle I really want on GB that has a decent Buy it Now price

supergrizzly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, RMEF, United Bowhunters of PA
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this question so feel free to delete or move my question. I am currently watching a rifle I really want on GB that has a decent (not great) "Buy it Now" price. The listing only has one picture of the gun sitting on the original box and is advertised as having never been fired. It also comes with two boxes of ammo, also shown in the one picture (which when expanded is very blurry). It also hasa minimal description. My problem is, the seller has no history or reviews and will only take USPS Money Order, Money Order, Certified Check and the ad says he will ship upon clearance of the money. How do I know he will ship it even when the money clears or if he even has the gun? As I read the GB T&Cs, they only protect you for $400. The rifle is considerably more. I plan on asking for a phone number to talk to the person, who lives about 4 hours from me, but in today's inflated gun market, he has no need to tolerate my questions so I have little hope of a response (I've asked questions on multiple guns and have not gotten a response yet from any of the sellers). My gut is telling me to avoid this one but my desire to have this gun has me indecisive. I would love to hear an opinion or ten from those experienced in these matters. Thank you,

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this question so feel free to delete or move my question. I am currently watching a rifle I really want on GB that has a decent (not great) "Buy it Now" price. The listing only has one picture of the gun sitting on the original box and is advertised as having never been fired. It also comes with two boxes of ammo, also shown in the one picture (which when expanded is very blurry). It also hasa minimal description. My problem is, the seller has no history or reviews and will only take USPS Money Order, Money Order, Certified Check and the ad says he will ship upon clearance of the money. How do I know he will ship it even when the money clears or if he even has the gun? As I read the GB T&Cs, they only protect you for $400. The rifle is considerably more. I plan on asking for a phone number to talk to the person, who lives about 4 hours from me, but in today's inflated gun market, he has no need to tolerate my questions so I have little hope of a response (I've asked questions on multiple guns and have not gotten a response yet from any of the sellers). My gut is telling me to avoid this one but my desire to have this gun has me indecisive. I would love to hear an opinion or ten from those experienced in these matters. Thank you,
Caveat Emptor. You might consider meeting him halfway for a face to face if you can make contact with him.

If he doesn’t respond to inquiries that allow you to validate the sale walk away.

Like Newboomer I would go for face to face. Offer to hit buy it now in exchange for face to face and cash sale. You could make that meeting at a gun shop if that locality requires background checks on all sales.
If your gut tells you watch out then I would avoid doing it by mail.

Drive the four hours and check it out in person. Meet him at the local police station. If he begs off this offer, run, don't walk. There are A LOT of scams on the gun and reloading sites.

Edit: Local police or gun shop.

Drive the four hours and check it out in person. Meet him at the local police station. If he begs off this offer, run, don't walk. There are A LOT of scams on the gun and reloading sites.

Edit: Local police or gun shop.
This!! Run away if he’s unwilling to meet you in person in a safe location. Perhaps sweeten the offer to do this by telling him you’re bringing cash if you decide to buy the gun. Why anyone would turn that down could only be explained by him running a scam.

I live in a remote part of Alaska. Pretty much every gun I buy comes via GunBroker. I have had my share of victories and defeats on there (only one bad transaction, but losing out to other buyers). Were your situation mine...
  • As others have said, I think I'd be willing to drive.
  • If it's more than a day out, I'd expect a response. If there is no response to a query, I'd let it pass.
  • A light description doesn't bother me; some folks just really don't know what they have.
  • No feedback can be a blessing or a curse. I have bought from folks without feedback. I have yet to get bit in the ass in doing so. But again, as @Newboomer said - caveat emptor.
I recognize that my situation in where I live means I'm going to maybe have to take a few more chances, if expect to continue to purchase guns (or anything else). If this situation were me with where I live, I'd try to get some responses to answer questions. If he/she does that, I'd likely be in the game, if it was a gun on my bucket list. And if the buy it now was reasonable, I'd probably do that because it'd gnaw at me if someone else got it. Also, and maybe this does or doesn't factor into your specific auction... the guns on my bucket list (like a lot of guns) have skyrocketed over the past two years. There are 5 or 6 I wish I'd been more aggressive on acquiring 2 years ago. I feel that pain now. Maybe they'll come down again, but I know what they were then and now, and they are going to be harder to come by if things stay as they are or - heaven forbid - go up even more.

Added note: I've bought/won maybe 20-25 guns on there over the last decade or so. Not a huge sample size but I don't feel like a rookie either.

Best of wishes.

Last edited:
If you choose, give one of us the item number and let us look at it to give you an opinion. In the last 12 years or so, I have bought maybe 8 guns of GB. It was an attempted scam only one time.

Thanks all. I will try what you have all said. It would be a 600 mile round trip to his town and I'd be willing to do it but he is going to have to answer some questions first. I'll let you know what happens and may take sierraone up on an opinion if all else fails.

I live in a remote part of Alaska. Pretty much every gun I buy comes via GunBroker. I have had my share of victories and defeats on there (only one bad transaction, but losing out to other buyers). Were your situation mine...
  • As others have said, I think I'd be willing to drive.
  • If it's more than a day out, I'd expect a response. If there is no response to a query, I'd let it pass.
  • A light description doesn't bother me; some folks just really don't know what they have.
  • No feedback can be a blessing or a curse. I have bought from folks without feedback. I have yet to get bit in the ass in doing so. But again, as @Newboomer said - caveat emptor.
I recognize that my situation in where I live means I'm going to maybe have to take a few more chances, if expect to continue to purchase guns (or anything else). If this situation were me with where I live, I'd try to get some responses to answer questions. If he/she does that, I'd likely be in the game, if it was a gun on my bucket list. And if the buy it now was reasonable, I'd probably do that because it'd gnaw at me if someone else got it. Also, and maybe this does or doesn't factor into your specific auction... the guns on my bucket list (like a lot of guns) have skyrocketed over the past two years. There are 5 or 6 I wish I'd been more aggressive on acquiring 2 years ago. I feel that pain now. Maybe they'll come down again, but I know what they were then and now, and they are going to be harder to come by if things stay as they are or - heaven forbid - go up even more.

Best of wishes.
You’re not kidding they’ve gone up. I was on Gunbroker last night and got quite a shock. Haven’t been looking in a while.

If he responds to your question, have him send you a picture of the gun in a different setting. Like laying on a couch or chair. Most of the time if they will talk with you on the phone, you can feel them out pretty easily.

Have him send you a picture of the rifle with a note with today's date on it. If not, like others have said, run from it.

There was a guy on this forum called Chickensh*t (not really but close), he had a rifle for sale on here, he answered questions and participated here. He was able to scam two of us, and I was one of them.

Lots of ways to verify if the gun is real or not. Obviously you can meet face to face. Or ask for a picture with today's date and his or your name written on a piece of paper with the gun. Definitely ask for more pics before you purchase anything though. There's no reason he can't provide them.

Edit: apparently Para and I think alike.

All good advice so far. I buy and sell quite a bit on gunbroker. If the rifle is unique in anyway do a quick google search and specifically look at the images tab. That’s one of the first things I do and have been able to quickly sort out a few just by seeing the same photos used by someone else on a different platform.

Unless the trip is within your state, to be legal for a face to face transaction you need to do it through an FFL.

I met a seller in Las Vegas at FedEx and had him ship it back to my FFL in Texas. As it is a long gun, you may be able to meet at an FFL and do the transfer there.

I buy and sell on GB and if they wont communicate or wont reasonably meet or provide you something substantial then dont deny that gut feeling !! God gave you a brain and that gut for a reason , .... everytime I've ever gone against my own rules I've paid dearly just my 2 tarnished cents worth

Thanks for all of the inputs. It's great to get experienced opinions from all of you. In this case it is a "want" gun, not a necesity so I have asked for more pics and we'll see what happens.

Seller just messaged me and flat out said "No" to any other pictures or information. I'm following my gut.

F*ck him, he can go fly a kite. Run Forrest, run!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois