Current events, will they hurt Hunting this Year?

Bushbuck

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Man there is just a bunch of crap going on everywhere! genocide in Libya, Egypt and other countries in that area are in turmoil. 2 wars still going on. Today 4 Americans killed on there Yacht off Somalia. The stock market here is starting to drop and gas prices are rising. There are protests and division like I have never seen in the U.S.

The TV is just filled with violence at every moment, and as a country we are falling deeper in dept every minute, and I don't feel we have a leader to make people feel comfortable and safe. Usually these times will get people to stay home cancel trips and tighten the belt.

Every time I talk to someone about going to Africa that has never been, they have a ton of questions about safety and security. Most in all honesty would not even consider a trip to Africa right now. I know that Egypt is a long way from South Africa, But RSA and Zimbabwe has its problems also, and does not really get good press here either.Have any of you outfitters or PH's started to get any questions from potential travelers?

On another note: My heart and prayers go out to the people who are suffering from the earthquake in New Zealand, which would be much bigger news right now if not for all the other events going on.

Bushbuck, 2 of my 10 flight choices for June involve Air Egypt, guess what, they are not on the top of my list. I use to be able to fly with a sidearm, now that i can't, I refuse to climb into the Lion's den. I will have to avoid anything that could become potentially dangerous for me, my wife and son on this trip.

All depends how you look at thing bushbuck. I would hunt Africa in 2 seconds if I had the money, unfortunately my wife got in a child custody law suite that cost as much as a very nice spiral horn safari....now you couple that with the governor in Wisconsin...costing me a small fortune....the belt gets tighter by the minute.

I agree with your posts...the economy is going to have a lot of murky water before we see anything clear. U.S. has high debt and high unemployment and there are still plenty of ponzy schemes out there ....redistributing the wealth. Heck it might take a decade to sort out yet.

enysse, come on 2013, at least then we can get rid of one of our problems.

Well, Obama did start stuff that lead to other things....and yes I will not miss him, his legacy has taught politicians to dream and you can become a king....do anything and it is alright...you are just trying to do your best for the people right?

enysse, just visited your profile, very nice Blue Wildebeest, it is my favorite animal in all of Africa, top of my list with Koedoeberg.

As for Mr. Obama, that's why I like the jokes, bumper stickers, and alcohol, it all helps ease the pain of the current administration, thank God we have the House. Scott.

I was at the Harrisburg PA sportsman's show a few weeks ago. The most prevelant questions were regarding the safety of travelling in Africa.
I have been going to Zimbabwe and South Africa regularly since 1995. I have never felt in jeopardy nor have we had any clients ever indicate they felt uncomfortable. I have taken my wife and travelled all over RSA and Zimbabwe. This spring when I head to Zimbabwe I will be visiting a few ranches in RSA before going up to the Matetsi Safari area for the season. I will be taking my seventeen year old daughter as well as her best friend along with me.
I have no reservations regarding taking my daughter and her freind along with me. The hunting ranches and concessions in Southern Africa are well removed from the major cities. If there is any unrest it is usually restricted to these areas. I have been in major metropolitan cities within the States where I felt more unease than I have during my African travels.
Major tour companies such as Abercrombie and Kent, Ker and Downey etc. are still including Zimbabwe and other African countries as stops on several of their itineraries.
I assist in managing a camp in the Matetsi Safari area as well as Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe and the bookings are strong from hunters, as well as tourists travelling with the companies listed above.
I am not trying to convince anyone that travel througout Africa is without risk and can guarantee their safety. I simply will state that I have no more reservations recommending African travel to friends, family and clients than I would if I was arranging trips to Chicago, London, or Los Angeles.
The distance from Egypt to Harare, Zimababwe is over three thousand miles, add another three hundred miles to take you to the border of South Africa. Mexico is one of the most dangerous destination for tourists at this time and only a few miles from San Antonio, Texas. How many folks are expressing concerns with travelling to San Antonio, San Diego, or Cancun, Mexico itself for that matter.
Again, I am not trying to say that African travel is without risk I am simply trying to put it into perspective.

Hi Tim,
I like you have no reservations of traveling to Africa, and I am planning a trip with my wife and daughters. But both you and I have been there and know what it is like. Your statement "The most prevalent questions were regarding the safety of traveling in Africa."
says a lot. That is the same thing I am getting when talking to people about Africa. But at least we are talking to people, I wonder how many just write off the idea all together and never even look into coming over right now.

As far as Mexico, I can tell you it certainly has many people staying away. I just returned a couple weeks ago from a convention in Cabo where the problems of Mexico are non existent. Over 30% of the dealers did not come to the convention specifically because of the violence in Mexico. In the past year I have been to Cancun, Holbox and the people were saying it has effected them greatly. I am sure Mexico is taking a big toll because of what is going on.
San Diego, well lets just say I gave up on CA a long time ago..

The big problem is I don't see things getting better in the short term. I hope I am wrong.

35Bore,

Stay as far away as possible from Egypt Air worst airline I ever flew in long ago but still things move slow in Africa 1997 they suck big time dont even have proper beer on the plane when I was in transit on my way to Europe in Cario they took your passport making sure people will not leave the airport, that didnt feel too comfortable.

Yes the news is so bad these days I will not even let my son watch it.
But humans are strong willed and have always survived no matter what hardship as long as the flame of faith stays alive.

Frederik, They were not even going to be an option, as far as I was concerned. Then you tell me they don't have proper beer, now , forget it, they will never get my business. Scott.

I think it will boil down too the oil speculators. If they keep driving the cost of oil up, people will get scared of the economy crashing again.
Now pure tourism. Vacation and photo safaris might suffer because of instability fears. That group is probably not in touch with Africa like us.

The actual situation will not help, however, I am plannig to go to RSA in September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross