Curious about the 6.5 Weatherby RPM

MISportsman

AH veteran
Reaction score
I am not in the market to buy one nor do I have a current need for this particular caliber, but I was reading about the 6.5 Weatherby RPM and was intrigued. Does anyone own a rifle chambered in it? If so what are your thoughts, does it live up to the hype?

Looks like it gains about 150 fps over the 6.5 PRC (which I own) using 140-ish grain bullets but falls well short of matching the real 6.5mm screamers. It appears that Weatherby designed the cartridge as a rather interesting approach to building an extremely lightweight magnum rifle using existing components, namely the MkV Backcountry Ti.

Not sure there's much hype for it to live up to, since I had to look up what it is. It seems to occupy a fairly small market niche. I'm sure that it's just what some people are looking for, but I doubt that there are enough of those people for it to be successful. I'd recommend that anyone who buys one also buys a lifetime supply of cases at their first opportunity.

It does look to be one of those that looks good on paper but does not do anything that other cartridges do from what I've read. I just wanted to see if I was missing something. If I get to the point when I have the cash and decide I need a mark v Backcountry I think the .280ai would be the way to go

Looking at the rifles, is the Backcountry worth $1000 more to save maybe 1/2 a pound over the hunter?

Late December 2022, I had an opportunity to purchase a "used" 6.5 RPM in the Mark V Backcountry Ti. The sale included 140 rounds of ammunition, all full boxes and I believe the previous owner's claim to have never fired the rifle.

I have fired 3 different factory loadings from the ammunition supplied and all group well. Barnes 127 shoots slightly tighter than the accubond.

I have not had the opportunity to hunt with this rifle but plan to this coming fall. As I get older ounces suddenly feel like pounds and all the mountains seem steeper than I remembered. As a flatlander I need all the help I can get on mountain hunts. I do not buy into climate change but I am quite convinced that gravity is increasing and oxygen content is decreasing with every year.

In one elk camp we discovered just about everyone was using a 6.5mm something or other, which naturally made for a weeks worth of conversation around the evening campfire. One of those was a custom 6.5 WBY RPM.

Since most everyone was using a 140 gr. class bullet with their 6.5mm, comparisons inevitably revolved around the RPM and the PRC. Consensus was, yup - the RPM was fastest round there, but not so much that it truly outshines the PRC in typical hunting conditions. Based on factory ammo $$ comparisons, I'd only consider the RPM to be a handloader's option.

Oh, yea, due to my highly refined begging skills, the owner let me put 1 round down range at a boulder 400 steps away. Dead boulder. Too much fun.

OK, what is the 6.5 WBY RPM? I know what the WBY 6.5-.300 is, but never heard of this one. Photos? Ballistics? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.39.56 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.39.56 AM Large.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.39.59 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.39.59 AM Large.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.04 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.04 AM Large.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.07 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.07 AM Large.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.09 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.09 AM Large.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.13 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.13 AM Large.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.16 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.40.16 AM Large.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 67
I know several people pushing the 6.5PRC with a 156 up to 2970fps.

They are hand loads and warm. I'm not sure many people are going to seek out this round. It will never have the support the PRC does.

Very interesting! Thanks! ANOTHER .284 Winchester clone. I then looked at the link to and Ron Spomer's video of the ".338 RPM". ANOTHER .338! Nothing to see here. I'll stick with my .338WM.

It sounds like a pretty good caliber. I recently bought a new Winchester Model 70 Supergrade with a really beautiful curly maple stock in .264 Winchester. I actually bought a pair of them....they were the special edition guns from year or two ago when Winchester did a run of Super Grades with "exhibition" grade curly maple stocks. Dealer had a .270 and a .264 and I couldn't decide between them. So I made him an offer about $300 less than the sum he was asking for both. He accepted. So I became the happy owner of two beautiful curly maple stocked Winchesters. As much as me and Jack love the .270, it has proved a jinx and I only see mommies and babies whitetails when I take it into the woods. I took the .264 out, though, and a beautiful big buck came out. The .264 hammered him. Dropped in his tracks. It drops them just like my .270 Weatherby, and I've only ever had one deer take one step after being hit by that. From what I've read, this 6.5 RPM is a little slower than the .264, but it's still pretty fast. And it's available in very lightweight rifles. I have a Weatherby Ultra Light Weight in .30-06 and it's about 7.5 pounds with the Zeiss scope and full of ammo. The Model 70 is not a light weight but rather a full size rifle....though not nearly as heavy as my .375 Weatherby that I built. I actually prefer the normal weight rifle to the super light ones. I think they hold steadier. Anyway, I have come to love the .264 Winchester, even if my grumpy old dad says it offers nothing over the .270. I think he's wrong. You just have to load it properly. Anyway, if I didn't have a 6.5/.264 and fancied a 6.5 RPM, I wouldn't be ashamed at all. Now the 6.5/300....that one will smoke my Winnie. I'd look hard at that one. Although, they say the Winnie is a "barrel burner".....then the 6.5/300 must be a barrel melter :)

Very interesting! Thanks! ANOTHER .284 Winchester clone. I then looked at the link to and Ron Spomer's video of the ".338 RPM". ANOTHER .338! Nothing to see here. I'll stick with my .338WM.
I know this thread is about ANOTHER 6.5, but as Ron Spomer points out in his video, the .338 Federal and .338 RCM are already pretty much history. How many NEW 6.5s will end up there too? So, what does this NEW 6.5 WBY RPM and subsequent .338 WBY RPM bring to the table that wants one to buy a bunch of brass and dies for them, just to see them end up in the dust bin of cartridge history like so MANY others? I can see a 5-6lb. 6.5 rifle, but can never imagine a 5-6lb. rifle in a .338 cartridge without using a substantial brake? Chasing a unicorn IMHO!

It sounds like a pretty good caliber. I recently bought a new Winchester Model 70 Supergrade with a really beautiful curly maple stock in .264 Winchester. I actually bought a pair of them....they were the special edition guns from year or two ago when Winchester did a run of Super Grades with "exhibition" grade curly maple stocks. Dealer had a .270 and a .264 and I couldn't decide between them. So I made him an offer about $300 less than the sum he was asking for both. He accepted. So I became the happy owner of two beautiful curly maple stocked Winchesters. As much as me and Jack love the .270, it has proved a jinx and I only see mommies and babies whitetails when I take it into the woods. I took the .264 out, though, and a beautiful big buck came out. The .264 hammered him. Dropped in his tracks. It drops them just like my .270 Weatherby, and I've only ever had one deer take one step after being hit by that. From what I've read, this 6.5 RPM is a little slower than the .264, but it's still pretty fast. And it's available in very lightweight rifles. I have a Weatherby Ultra Light Weight in .30-06 and it's about 7.5 pounds with the Zeiss scope and full of ammo. The Model 70 is not a light weight but rather a full size rifle....though not nearly as heavy as my .375 Weatherby that I built. I actually prefer the normal weight rifle to the super light ones. I think they hold steadier. Anyway, I have come to love the .264 Winchester, even if my grumpy old dad says it offers nothing over the .270. I think he's wrong. You just have to load it properly. Anyway, if I didn't have a 6.5/.264 and fancied a 6.5 RPM, I wouldn't be ashamed at all. Now the 6.5/300....that one will smoke my Winnie. I'd look hard at that one. Although, they say the Winnie is a "barrel burner".....then the 6.5/300 must be a barrel melter :)
Yeah, stick with your .270 and .264WM. You already have the rifles and will be able to find brass for them FOREVER.

I know several people pushing the 6.5PRC with a 156 up to 2970fps.

They are hand loads and warm. I'm not sure many people are going to seek out this round. It will never have the support the PRC does.
As traditional as I am, I would consider the 6.5 PRC if I were looking for a 6.5 which I've never owned. Heck, I just bought my first .25 (.25-06) a few months ago! I need to catch up! LOL

As traditional as I am, I would consider the 6.5 PRC if I were looking for a 6.5 which I've never owned. Heck, I just bought my first .25 (.25-06) a few months ago! I need to catch up! LOL

Yeah, no need to get into a gear race, save the money for a hunt. I hole in the line up that needed to be filled in a hunting platform. My choice was the 7PRC, was going to get a 6.5PRC it is great for deer elk it will work. I figured the 7 will be a little more than needed for deer will feel better using it on elk.

Yeah, no need to get into a gear race, save the money for a hunt. I hole in the line up that needed to be filled in a hunting platform. My choice was the 7PRC, was going to get a 6.5PRC it is great for deer elk it will work. I figured the 7 will be a little more than needed for deer will feel better using it on elk.
Oh yeah, I forgot about a 7mm which I've also never owned. The 7PRC would definitely work for me. Although, I could buy a 7mmRM and have .300 and .338WM brass already to load it with?

Oh yeah, I forgot about a 7mm which I've also never owned. The 7PRC would definitely work for me. Although, I could buy a 7mmRM and have .300 and .338WM brass already to load it with?

I'm sure you could make one of them work. I wanted to get away from the belt. It works and has done so for many years. Does not mean it is the best thing with the technology of today.

The biggest issue with the 7RM is the twist rate of the factory barrels. Most will not support the heavy long bullets.

In one elk camp we discovered just about everyone was using a 6.5mm something or other, which naturally made for a weeks worth of conversation around the evening campfire. One of those was a custom 6.5 WBY RPM.

Since most everyone was using a 140 gr. class bullet with their 6.5mm, comparisons inevitably revolved around the RPM and the PRC. Consensus was, yup - the RPM was fastest round there, but not so much that it truly outshines the PRC in typical hunting conditions. Based on factory ammo $$ comparisons, I'd only consider the RPM to be a handloader's option.

Oh, yea, due to my highly refined begging skills, the owner let me put 1 round down range at a boulder 400 steps away. Dead boulder. Too much fun.
I’m amazed that all the hunters were elk hunting with a 6.5. Seems like a light caliber for elk, and to have multiple people using it, that is unique. I suppose if they all were dedicated shooters with a lot of range experience…

I’m not a fan of a super light rifle. The lack of weight makes them wobble more. And, when you shoot and elk, the 1-2 lbs lighter rifle doesn’t make much a difference when trying to pack out an animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg