Curiosity to stir the pot 1 1/2- 2 rule?

Ridge Runner

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Does the 1 1/2 (or 2) rule still apply today?

Does anyone, other than myself, use it when considering the animal(s) they are hunting?

Perhaps some of the older generation on here, and a few nostalgic "youngsters", may have heard of the 1 1/2 (or 2) rule debate for hunting.

Some insist on using 1 1/2, others insist on using 2.

What is the 1 1/2 or 2 rule?

An arbitrary factor by which to select the proper caliber and ammunition for a hunt.

Formula: (I'll use whitetail deer)

Average animal weight x 1 1/2 (or 2) = recommended caliber

250 pound animal x 1.5 = 375 foot pounds of energy (penetration/"knock down")

OR

250 pound animal x 2 = 500 foot pounds of energy

The amount of energy required at a maximum given distance.

Hunter selects 500 yards as his/her maximum range: There by rule; the weapon of choice should have a minimum 375 (or 500) foot pounds of energy to ethically and humanely kill the animal (deer) at 500 yards.

Note: those who debate preferring the factor 2, also consider other large/dangerous game that could be encountered, such as elk, moose and/or black, grizzly /brown bear.

I'll stick with Two rules:
#1 Hunt with the most powerful rifle you can shoot comfortably and accurately.
#2 Beware of the man who owns one rifle...He knows how to use it...

Currently in training with my Ruger #1-H in 416 Rigby for a Cape Buffalo Hunt.
Dry fire and Rifle PT one hour each day.
Starting in April 25 rounds live fire each week.
goal 5 for 5 hits on an 8 inch steel plate at 200 yards standing off the sticks in 30 sec.

I am 62 and I have never heard of that rule.

Seems to indicate some rather meager energy levels, IMHO.

That rule is news to me. I have heard "Beware of the man with one bullet".

.458 WM! (unless hunting DG, then Savage .250-3000!) I couldn’t see anything at 500yds anyway! Cheers!

I'm 76 and never heard of either of those rules. What I have seen in print is that 1,000 lbs. of energy is the minimum suggested for cleanly taking deer sized game and above. The distances at which any respective caliber reaches this minimum will vary.

I'm 76 and never heard of either of those rules. What I have seen in print is that 1,000 lbs. of energy is the minimum suggested for cleanly taking deer sized game and above. The distances at which any respective caliber reaches this minimum will vary.

You and I grew up attending the same hunting “schools” and reading the same literature. Never heard of this one, but I am with you on 1000 foot pounds.

Not familiar with that rule. I’d estimate the energy level would be kinda light. Most hunting rounds are well above that level of energy until you get to really long range.
I’ve never shot a big game animal with anything smaller than a .243.

I have not seen that rule either. Looking at some of the other posts, l guess my personal rule is a little high
1500 for deer sized game
1800 for elk size game
I also watch at what range the bullet gets to the min velocity for reliable expansion. Often times it hits this min before the energy min.

I've not heard of this rule either.
What I do know is there is a formula and it includes, but is not limited to...
Caliber, velocity & energy at POI, bullet selection, game hunted, range and most important to me...shot placement.

I'm with @Fred Gunner , practice, practice and practice some more.
Get that first shot where it belongs.
It needs to be second nature to reload after a shot is taken.
After the bullet leaves the barrel, your input is over...get ready for a follow up should one be needed.

I haven't heard of this rule either, not as old as some of the other posters at 61 but I have been around a little. I have heard the 1000 foot pound figure for deer many times over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross