Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hey guys
Less than a week until brother in-law and I leave for an 8 day Tahr and Chamois hunt with Peter Chamberlain. Been looking forward to this one for a long time. Any last minute advice you can provide?
I will be sure to post a full report when back in March.
Thanks

Take pictures of everything, not just the trophies. And have fun!

Yes lots of pics! All your necessary toiletries, a little extra cash in case a arapawa ram or a management stag show up and a good deal is offered!

Oh yeah and be sure to soak in every moment of that beautiful country while you are hunting!

Yeah Arapawa is on the list as well. Pretty cool animals.

Yeah Arapawa is on the list as well. Pretty cool animals.

(y)

Also look at fishing or jet boating, or some other activity if you guys have time. When I was in NZ I left three extra days after the hunt to explore the city, take tours, etc.

Forget the rest if the world and enjoy your time hunting.

gnox have fun and good luck. For tahr I suggest look at the coat on him besides horn length before you pull the trigger part of the beauty of them is the fur. they wont be at there best coat right now as it is a little early so be picky if you can. and by all means get a ram and a goat if you can!

Remember shooting up and down hill the distance for the bullet is actually shorter than what they appear to your eye.
Hope you have a range finder with the angle calculation compensation.

Shoot straight.

NZ is noted for the biggest red stags in the world (see avatar) so if I were you I wouldn't go home without one, you will see tons they literally have them by the millions. also some really big fallow. BTW are you using a helicopter? Hiking in? Does peter chamberlain own a station/ranch or does he pay a fee to hunt the private stations?
Take lots of photos, go see penguins, jet boat etc if you get the time and even if not using a heli take a ride in one. And no I didn't use a heli to hunt but did to sightsee.

Absolutely awesome Country. If I had gone there when I was 25 I would have stayed.

Hey guys
Less than a week until brother in-law and I leave for an 8 day Tahr and Chamois hunt with Peter Chamberlain. Been looking forward to this one for a long time. Any last minute advice you can provide?
I will be sure to post a full report when back in March.
Thanks
I googled the outfitter and this looks like it will be a ton of fun! Totally jealous!! I love the idea of a mountain hunt. Have a blast. Last minute advice? What comes to mind is don't complain about your wife to your companion...He has a gun ;)

NZ is noted for the biggest red stags in the world (see avatar) so if I were you I wouldn't go home without one, you will see tons they literally have them by the millions. also some really big fallow. BTW are you using a helicopter? Hiking in? Does peter chamberlain own a station/ranch or does he pay a fee to hunt the private stations?
Take lots of photos, go see penguins, jet boat etc if you get the time and even if not using a heli take a ride in one. And no I didn't use a heli to hunt but did to sightsee.

Would love a giant stag as well but will have to see how it goes. We will be hiking in the the first camp and transferring to another area via helicopter partway through the hunt if need be. We will be only hunting public land for Tahr and chamois with Arapawa possibly on private.
Thanks

Beautiful country. Now some serious advice, Do Not Go. Hunting Tahr and Chamois in on the South Island of NZ is very Addictive.:D

Enjoy the trip(y)

Say G'day to Peter for me. I've hunted with him twice previously for Tahr,Fallow buck and Red stag with great results. Peter is a great operator and bloke and you will have a fantastic time I'm sure.

Take (or borrow) a fly rod. New Zealand has some of the best trout fishing in the world. Second to hunting, of course.

Thanks guys. Up at 4:00am tomorrow to start the journey over. Will post a report when back in a couple weeks.

Safe travels and Good luck!

@GKNOX , how did this hunt turn out? I am considering NZ for next year and am interested in your hunt played out with Peter.

Hunt went great. I have posted a full report titled "Wilderness Tahr and Chamois hunt with Peter at Kiwi Wildnerness Safaris" under New Zealand tab.
Highly recommend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg