Crossbow Research Southern Africa

Sandy2017

Reaction score
Hey there community! I'm doing some research for a client and unfortunately, I'm not too sure what the restrictions are in South Africa in terms of Crossbows. For instance, the US has a few states that don't allow it at all. The only guideline I've come across so far says that crossbows aren't allowed in hunting, but the article is quite old. Please point me in the right direction.

Hey there community! I'm doing some research for a client and unfortunately, I'm not too sure what the restrictions are in South Africa in terms of Crossbows. For instance, the US has a few states that don't allow it at all. The only guideline I've come across so far says that crossbows aren't allowed in hunting, but the article is quite old. Please point me in the right direction.
Legal in South Africa but not in Namibia. It's best to always check with your hunting outfitter to be certain it's legal where you are going.
I think hunting Africa with a crossbow would be great I just wish Namibia would change their silly rules!
Regards,
Philip

Used one on a Roan in RSA last yr. Borrowed the PH's at his suggestion. Lots of fun and I now own one! Bruce

Legal in South Africa but not in Namibia. It's best to always check with your hunting outfitter to be certain it's legal where you are going.
I think hunting Africa with a crossbow would be great I just wish Namibia would change their silly rules!
Regards,
Philip
Thank you for the help!

I have all intentions of getting a crossbow for deer hunting in the US. I think it would be a blast to take one to Africa!

i've been looking for some crossbow:

2 options (depends on the size of my wallet at the time of purchase)

the expensive one: http://www.scorpyd.com/scorpyd-orion/

Screenshot (23).png

the cheaper one: http://www.crosman.com/sniper-370-camo

Screenshot (24).png

Last edited by a moderator:
impressive, Scorpyd at 100 yards

Waiting on one of the new crossman airbows ..........just finished reading an interesting piece in a South African game management magazine about the legality of the airbow in RSA ....certianly a game changer

I recently picked a Barnett Raptor X2 up at a good price. Mainly for my grandkids to shoot when they get bigger. Quite impressive speed and accuracy. I am primarily a traditional archery hunter but also use a compound. If I couldn't draw a vertical bow, I would use a crossbow to hunt with.

Here's a discussion that took place a while back wrt hunting with compound and crossbows. Even the people in power is unsure what is the correct answer. Best is to download a copy of the DRAFT NORMS AND STANDARDS FOR THE REGULATION OF THE HUNTING INDUSTRY IN SOUTH AFRICA and NORMS AND STANDARDS FOR HUNTING METHODS IN SOUTH AFRICA. (download a copy of that specific province where you are planning to hunt) Nowhere is any mention made of a crossbow, but general a crossbow and bow should be the same thing. It propels an arrow. If not permitted in that province you can apply for a permit to allow you to shoot with a bow or crossbow. Some regulations is also applicable depending if it is a open or enclosed farm, Best to ask you PH. He'll be up to standard on the correct answer for that province

https://www.environment.gov.za/site...tices/nemba_huntingindustry_g32798gen1614.pdf
http://extwprlegs1.fao.org/docs/pdf/saf104522.pdf

(I enquired firstly why the whole issue relating to professional hunters that was covered extensively in the draft was excluded from the latest publication. She explained to me that the published norms and standards merely served as a guideline and that the professional hunters will be dealt with in a separate regulation and thereby regulating the hunting industry.
On my question: - Whether crossbows are included or not under the new norms and standards? She told me to hold on and after having discussed my question with a colleague she told me that recurve crossbows (even though she was not even aware of it’s existence) and compound crossbows were also considered to be included under the heading that permits recurve bows and compound bows. Both crossbows and bows are regarded and considered to be instruments made for the purpose to propel arrows. And the fact that arrows (and not bolts) with a minimum length of 50cm is stipulated actually includes crossbows as only crossbows can shoot arrows of that length. So yes crossbows and bows may now be used to hunt with provided that the minimum required arrow weight as stipulated can produce the required kinetic energy as stipulated for the type of animal being hunted. BUT the norms and standards being a guideline cannot overrule and is no substitution for any provincial hunting regulation and if such provincial hunting regulation does not permit hunting with a bow or crossbow then it is still illegal to do so in that province irrespective of the norms and standards sanctioning it as such. It seems we now need to work towards one uniform hunting regulation for the country as a hole that will incorporate all these provincial regulations and only then will bow and crossbow hunting be legal if permitted in such uniform hunting regulation.)

Attachments

• saf104522.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 356
  • nemba_huntingindustry_g32798gen1614.pdf
    918.2 KB · Views: 332
Just a heads up for anyone contemplating purchasing a Parker bow, crossbow or any of their other products, they are out of business as of 12/17/18 and anything purchased on or after that date have no warranty.

I always thought Parkers were junk anyway.....I wouldnt have owned one

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg