Crossbow hunting cape buffalo?

H50

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA
I have a growing interest in both crossbows and compound bows and have been looking for information if is even legal to hunt cape buffalo with a crossbow in RSA. I have researched the internet and have found limited info about this- a few trophy pictures but not much else which leads me to question the legality of it or maybe it just isn't done very much?? I got thinking about this topic after reading in the latest SCI magazine about a gentleman who successfully hunted a hippo in Zambia with a crossbow (?? if that was legal in Zambia- maybe some of the Zambia PH's have insight). Pretty impressive story though..some people are making massive bolts (arrows) for the crossbows that are shooting huge KE and speed so with the proper shot placement they seem very effective. I know Brickburn posted a video a while back of the president of Excalibur crossbows taking an elephant with one shot from a crossbow. I know plains game is hunted a lot with crossbows in RSA but unsure of buffalo. I don't mean for this thread to turn into a crossbow vs. compound bow debate but rather just is it legal to hunt in RSA for buffalo with crossbow?? If not the story is over but if it is legal maybe some PH's/ outfitters who have done it can fill me in on the details of how it went/ how it was done( spot and stalk, etc). Thank you if advance for any info..I learn so much from this site!! Keep the info coming...

................is it legal to hunt in RSA for buffalo with crossbow?? ......
Yup.
If I can hunt one with a compound bow you can hunt it with a cross bow.

Brickburn- Thank you for the info..I'm still probably a couple of years away from my trip but it will definitely be with bow and maybe crossbow in tow..something about hunting a buffalo that just keeps me motivated to keep putting $ into the bank for that trip/ hopefully with family. I'll keep lurking and learning here on AH in the meantime...

I saw a tv show where steve Scott took a cape buff with a crossbow.

I have a growing interest in both crossbows and compound bows and have been looking for information if is even legal to hunt cape buffalo with a crossbow in RSA. I have researched the internet and have found limited info about this- a few trophy pictures but not much else which leads me to question the legality of it or maybe it just isn't done very much?? I got thinking about this topic after reading in the latest SCI magazine about a gentleman who successfully hunted a hippo in Zambia with a crossbow (?? if that was legal in Zambia- maybe some of the Zambia PH's have insight). Pretty impressive story though..some people are making massive bolts (arrows) for the crossbows that are shooting huge KE and speed so with the proper shot placement they seem very effective. I know Brickburn posted a video a while back of the president of Excalibur crossbows taking an elephant with one shot from a crossbow. I know plains game is hunted a lot with crossbows in RSA but unsure of buffalo. I don't mean for this thread to turn into a crossbow vs. compound bow debate but rather just is it legal to hunt in RSA for buffalo with crossbow?? If not the story is over but if it is legal maybe some PH's/ outfitters who have done it can fill me in on the details of how it went/ how it was done( spot and stalk, etc). Thank you if advance for any info..I learn so much from this site!! Keep the info coming...

It is legal to hunt Buffalo on a bow if you have all the necessary permits in place. Basically you need a permit to bow hunt the animal if the farm does not have bow exemption and then a permit for the buffalo. Then there are also minimum draw weights that you need to comply to if you wish to hunt the buffalo with a bow. We have done a couple of buffalo on bows and it is truly an amazing experience. You need to get in pretty close on foot before the shot is taken so this gets the heart pumping! I don't have much experience on crossbows but im sure its pretty much the same..... Enjoy the planning and make sure that you have the right setup and have practiced allot with that setup.

Funny you should ask ... I just did it a couple weeks ago in RSA bordering Kruger Park.

watermark.php

We managed to stalk within 20 yards and put the first one through the heart. Insurance shot was also complete penetration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stocky- Beautiful buffalo!! I'm interested in some info about your hunt if you don't mind sharing...Who did you hunt with? What was the length of your bolt/ what kind of vanes and size did you use and did you make the bolt yourself or did you have it made and if so who by whom?? Thanks for any info..this is a hunt that I find very interesting.

Stocky- Beautiful buffalo!! I'm interested in some info about your hunt if you don't mind sharing...Who did you hunt with? What was the length of your bolt/ what kind of vanes and size did you use and did you make the bolt yourself or did you have it made and if so who by whom?? Thanks for any info..this is a hunt that I find very interesting.

Thank you H50!

I hunted with Jacques Senekal's Africa Maximum Safari's (for the 6th time) with Wernher "Walla" Albertse PH.

The bolt was a custom 23", 800 grain "Spynal Tap" carbon "shaft within a shaft" made by Jerry at South Shore Archery, tipped with Alaska Bowhunting's 200 gr Maasai single-bevel broadheads. It performed perfectly, with even the "insurance shot" after the animal had expired giving complete penetration, in fact it was found about 50 yards behind the animal.

The key is getting close and putting the first one in the right spot. Animal only ran maybe 50 yards before laying down and bellowing. I'd post the autopsy photos but it'd likely set any anti hunters viewing them hair on fire.

Yup.
If I can hunt one with a compound bow you can hunt it with a cross bow.

Right on. Also, Mozambique is fine with crossbows. Heading there in April.

Thank you H50!

I hunted with Jacques Senekal's Africa Maximum Safari's (for the 6th time) with Wernher "Walla" Albertse PH.

The bolt was a custom 23", 800 grain "Spynal Tap" carbon "shaft within a shaft" made by Jerry at South Shore Archery, tipped with Alaska Bowhunting's 200 gr Maasai single-bevel broadheads. It performed perfectly, with even the "insurance shot" after the animal had expired giving complete penetration, in fact it was found about 50 yards behind the animal.

The key is getting close and putting the first one in the right spot. Animal only ran maybe 50 yards before laying down and bellowing. I'd post the autopsy photos but it'd likely set any anti hunters viewing them hair on fire.
Stocky- Thanks for the reply- very helpful! What kind of crossbow were you using- couldn't fully tell from the picture?? Once again- awesome buffalo!!

Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme 175#

Funny you should ask ... I just did it a couple weeks ago in RSA bordering Kruger Park.

watermark.php

We managed to stalk within 20 yards and put the first one through the heart. Insurance shot was also complete penetration.

Congrats Stocky! Awesome Crossbow kill!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross