Cross wildebeest off the list?

To me, blue wildebeest is one of the most iconic African game animals, and their coat is beautiful for mounts or skins. And the black has a unique look that put them on my short list to target.

I hired a rifle from PH rather than bring my own. He provided a 308 with basic CoreLokt 150gr bullets for my plains game hunting. With that rifle/ammo, I put a black wildebeest down in his tracks, my brother took a black (we went 2x1 and shared rifle) that traveled less than 30 yards before dropping, and I completed the wildebeest hunting with a blue at about 150 yards. When I hit him, he started bucking like a bronco for a few seconds, more or less stayed in a 20 yard circle, and fell over dead from a heart shot.

Sure, they can be tough, but a good shot will definitely put one down without issue.

Your cartridge/bullet selection will be perfect for everything on your list.

I shot my Gemsbok and Kudu with a .375 H&H.

I should have used the .300 WM, with a 3.5-10x40, on everything.

The 1.5-5x20 scope on the .375 left me too limited in magnification for long shots, and too limited in low light shots.

I'm betting you will love it!

I’m doing RSA in 2024 with a 270win or 308win , the outfitter says shot placement is key.
I am renting a 375 for zebra and wildebeest, buffalo , because I have doubts a 308win or 270 is enough for zebra
I used a 30-06 with 168 gr Barnes TTSX to drop my zebra and first black wildebeest almost on the spot. A 308 or 270 with a good bullet and shot placement will do the same.

Shoot everything on your list if given the opportunity, and then some. A 300WM pushing Barnes TTSX’s will be plenty for everything on that ranch except for DG.

YouTube and Hunting Shows are great for getting pumped up but take them with a grain of salt. It’s amazing what editing can do and hide (especially if someone has multiple cameras running, or takes B Roll footage). My advice is stop letting social media and online video’s get in your head and just get out and enjoy your hunts. You’re about to have the adventure and experience of a lifetime

Wildebeest are a good plains game animals to have on your hunting list.

I have taken 3 black wildebeest with one shot each. between 75 yards and 250 yards.
I have the opportunity to have taken one chevron wildebeest. this one was 350+ yard shot and after a 1/4 mile a finishing shot and he was headed to the salt shed.
I have had the opportunity to have taken 3 or 4 blue wildebeest. these were all with in 100 yards and DRT (dead right there).

I have used a 338 WM and with proper shot placement they go down. 250 or 225 gr bullets.

I am extremely green as it comes to Africa hunting. I've been basically filling my spare time reading books like the "Perfect Shot II: African Game" and watching YouTube videos. Practicing at the range as well. Obviously reading the forum as well. I am going to be bringing a 300WM shooting Barnes TTSX 180gr. Trip will be in another month or so, May 2023.

My definite list: Impala, Blesbok, and Warthog.
My maybe list: Springbuck, Gemsbok, and Wildebeest

I plan on having a convo with the PH and making sure I am in line with my selection and not over my head. However, last night while watching a YouTube video, it made me really re-think even considering a Wildebeest. The woman in the video seemed to be an otherwise great shot. Downed several animals on the spot or a short track later. I don't know what she was shooting. Didn't look like a 375 but it definitely didn't seem sub-30 cal. Well, the 2 Wildebeests she shot:

Blue Wildebeest: Shot, gone, never recovered.
Golden Wildebeest: Shot, bolted, had to be recovered and then dispatched by the PH and another hunter the next day.

This sort of made me re-think even having them on my list of "possibles." I keep hearing over and over they are tough as nails and will give you a hell of a time if you don't hit them right in the boiler room. Additionally, it seems like Gemsbok come close to that reputation as well.

Obviously this is all opportunity driven but I really want to make sure I don't go seeking out something that is going to come with a high level of disappointment and regret when I pull the trigger.
You're .300 with the TSX will hammer the wildebeest. Just make a good shot and all will be fine.
Reading the Perfect Shot will prepare you to make the correct shot when the time comes.

The Blue was a 40 yard bow shot, he stumbled a little over 30 yards and was done. The Black was a 303 yard shot, .308 with a 165gr Fed TBT bullet. He collapsed in place. You can see the the entries in both pics. Like everyone has said, hit them in the right spot and they will go down.
IMG_0237a.JPG
blue wildebeest.JPG
IMG_0098_edited.jpg

The Blue was a 40 yard bow shot, he stumbled a little over 30 yards and was done. The Black was a 303 yard shot, .308 with a 165gr Fed TBT bullet. He collapsed in place. You can see the the entries in both pics. Like everyone has said, hit them in the right spot and they will go down.

Second pic is perfect and gives a nice pictorial of good shot placement! Seems like high shoulder or just rear of shoulder is where the boiler room is.

Don't let anyone fool you-a Wildebeest is NOT a deer (they can weigh up to 600 lbs-more like 4 big deer!) 'Had a hot 6.5 (160 gr 0.330 SD! Woodleighs) on one PG safari, and the PH simply traded me his 375 HH when we came upon a big bull. At the (heart-lung) shot, the 'beest jumped up, ran around in a circle and collapsed. IF you weren't using the monometal bullet, I'd suggest 200-220 gr bullets in .30. We used 300 WMs and 200 gr Nos PTs to good effect on PG (and 220 gr in 3006 on others). SDs of .300 or better for proper penetration. Excepting the pygmy antelope, even a Springbok is "not a deer!" African game are constructed more durably to withstand frequent predator attacks (including 0.25 SD bullets whizzing at 'Beests out of the bush!) Enjoy! In Africa, don't think in terms of your favorite deer or elk bullet, think Kodiak Bear bullet.

These are great questions to confirm with your ph, since you have a package already selected I assume you have good contact with your Ph.
1. Is my rifle and bullet combo acceptable to you and your camp?
2. Can I add additional animals to my package if time and money allow?
You are going to see lots of good animals and it is a good idea to have favorites in mind and “next trip” animals on another list.
Sounds like everyone agrees, have wildebeest on your list!
I’ve sent you a pm of a black wildebeest heart that I shot and knocked in half with a 235 gr. Tsx, from a .375 wby. -not a ttsx. Wildebeest in all forms and colors are tough so put the first shot where it counts. That bull ran a short distance, did a circle or two and dropped, typical of any heart shot animal.

Second pic is perfect and gives a nice pictorial of good shot placement! Seems like high shoulder or just rear of shoulder is where the boiler room is.
By the way. I did not like the angle on the bow shot. I was going to pass. My PH told me exactly where to shoot. I hit the spot and he was down within five seconds.

Not much to add. They can be tough and forget about fancy shots. Head and neck shots are not good idea. Stick with center of heart/lung. Study some anatomy pictures and shoot to those internal areas and not at some spot on the hide. Animals are three dimensional. Take 99% of “hunting” videos with a grain of salt. Use good bullet in adequate caliber at reasonable range. Practice shooting off sticks. They are a great game animal and worth the care and effort.

300WM with 180 grain Barnes TTSX has become my go-to for PG. Go forth and hunt your wildebeest!

Agree with the forum, definitely keep the Blue Wildebeest on your list. If anything, I would look to potentially add a Kudu and/or a Zebra to your list. If you have to drop something for cost purposes then drop the Blesbuck.

I am sitting here in my living room admiring my Gemsbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Impala, Blesbuck, and Warthog mountings from my one trip 15 years ago. The Springbuck is mounted in my office. I regret not taking a Zebra or an Eland on that trip.

My point being this is a trip of a lifetime...make the most of it. I went with my Dad on my trip when I was 43 and he was 64. I'm now 59 and he's about to turn 81 in a couple of weeks and is going blind. Like I said, make the most of it. You never know if you'll get another chance.

I used the anatomical diagrams found elsewhere on the forum and added the blue-green circle where I would try to put a bullet through from any angle. Of course the easiest is the broadside shot.

wildebeest .jpg

wildebeest.jpg

Nothing like watching Black Wildebeest running around, this one wanted to stay out a bit. 326 with Norma Kalihari 155 300 win. Went 20 yards

View attachment 524879
They are a much smaller animal than the blue but I'm certain that 300 win mag would do just fine on them as well

I used the anatomical diagrams found elsewhere on the forum and added the blue-green circle where I would try to put a bullet through from any angle. Of course the easiest is the broadside shot.

View attachment 525078

View attachment 525079

Seems to mirror the "Perfect Shot II" book I have. I've been trying memorize the logical progression of the shot like "follow the arm/leg up to the body, place shot 1/3 up the body" etc. Just trying to hammer into my head that the vitals are far forward on these animals.

Seems to mirror the "Perfect Shot II" book I have. I've been trying memorize the logical progression of the shot like "follow the arm/leg up to the body, place shot 1/3 up the body" etc. Just trying to hammer into my head that the vitals are far forward on these animals.
Yes, in the US we are taught "right behind the shoulder".

In Africa, it's "in the shoulder, right in the tip of the big part of the shoulder"

Don't over complicate it.

I just aimed a little bit forward from what I do on elk and deer here in the US and never had a problem dropping African game animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg