Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I was doing some research on legislation in RSA, during which I bumped into something scary and also a little hopeful while reading the Minsters speech on the Budget 2013/14.

Scary because convicted offenders can still get licences to be Professional hunters and Outfitters in alternate provinces in RSA. WTF?
I thought a licensing process might actually screen the crooks out.

The proposed National changes would close this "loop hole".
I sure hope so.

Minister Bomo Edna Molewa tables Environmental Affairs 2013/14 Budget Vote
National Assembly, Parliament, Cape Town, 28 May 2013

War against Rhino Poaching

Honourable Members, this year the National Environmental Management Biodiversity Act is 9 years old.

As we mark the 9th anniversary of NEMBA, we are conducting an in-depth review to assess its impact at national and local government level. In the process, we will consider to include and additional chapter on the sustainable utilisation of indigenous biological resources.

The aim of these legislative amendments is to intensify the biodiversity sustainable development policy of South Africa through coordination and strengthening of existing industries within the biodiversity sphere. In addition, the amendment of legislation seeks to ensure increased contribution of biodiversity economic development initiatives to the rural economy through creating new industries for sustainable livelihoods in the context of new entrants to the biodiversity economy.

The Department will also be looking at some legislative amendments to tighten regulatory gaps in the National Environmental Management Act.

The National Environmental Management Laws First Amendment Bill that aimed at strengthening the regulatory and enforcement provisions to prevent abuse of the hunting permitting system is at an advanced stage in the Parliamentary process.

Once promulgated, the Bill will make provision that a person who is involved in an illegal restricted activity, but who does not physically carry out the restricted activity can also be found guilty of an offence.

Presently, professional hunters, hunting outfitters and trainers only register in individual provinces and if they are non-compliant in one province, they can apply to operate or continue to operate in another province.

To address this loophole, the Bill compels the national registration of professional hunters, hunting outfitters and trainers involved in the hunting industry. In this way, action can be taken against those who facilitate the carrying out of illegal restricted activities by their clients.

Brickburn yes your research were on the spot !!!! Currently as you correctly stated the Crooks can jump Province and then register in a different area and operate again . The proposec National Registration has it advantages but also disadvantages ... I suppose we will never get rid of rotten aplles !!!

They will simply employ a young qualified outfitter with no client base and keep operating !!!

My main concern is that the minister actually wanted to connect the proposed national Registration as something that would help curb Rhino poaching !!! What a load !!!

Well lets hope it is a step in the right direction !

I believe the national registration will be a step in the right direction,however like Richard said,the crooks will find a way around it.

Hunting is regulated in the same way in North America. The responsibility of the provinces and states.

Most jurisdiction have now changed their laws to ban those convicted of wildlife offences from acquiring a license in another jurisdiction.
Electronic records in the first world also help to ensure compliance.

Hopping jurisdictions was a favorite method of poachers to keep active while banned in their home state.
Not that the real criminals care about licenses in the first place.

It is always an eye opener to see how much diligence is required to ensure that you don't end up in a spiders web.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!