www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
The day before yesterday a croc took another fisherman, that makes three since the first of the year. What is different about this one the young man was pulled from his canoe, yes a regular canoe. Somehow he managed to get free and back to shore. In a moment of what I would call insanity he paddled back to the same spot. Guess what the croc was waiting this time he did not get away. Somehow other fisherman were able to get his lifeless body away from the croc. The young man is being buried locally today.

Due to the fact that the fisherman was in a fish breeding area the croc or a croc will probably not be shot by National Parks. Unfortunately this means that the local fisherman will probably take revenge on all of the crocs in that area.

We have had something strange happen this year 5 large crocs all about thirteen to fourteen foot all showed up here (Milibizi) at the same time. They stayed right by our docked pontoon boat for about 2 weeks then all but one moved on in the same easterly direction. It could have been one of these that took the young man, they have no fear of man. We have concerns that they many have come from one of the croc farms that have closed in the last year or so.

We are very cautious when we walk on our boat dock, especially if one of our ridgebacks are with us.

Hi Lon,

Always bad to hear this.

These guys depend on the boats to fish for income and people depend on them.

Similar story end of last year, we went tiger fishing a long way from yourself downstream in Zambia near Lower Zambesi NP. The day before we arrived one of the skippers of the boats was also caught. He took the fishermen to shore for a braai and the boat started floating down the river (Zambezi for those not familiar). Probably scared the board would go into the main river and be lost (issues with employer etc.) he swam after it. Croc caught him at the boat, he tried to climb on but couldn't. All of this in front of the clients. Clients stayed on bank and waived down other fishing boat passing them.

I always wonder how many people are really caught by crocs in here in Africa

Lon, that can be scary especially at dawn, dusk and at night.

What Stephen/Saswart is saying is so true how many missing peopel reports are actually croc related in Africa?

This is one of the guys that lived next to our camp in the NT, we crossed this Billabong most days in a Dingy half his size, he had one eye shot out by a fill in guide using a .375H&H which made him invisible for a well, much later he took one of the indigenous Rangers & was shot some more but escaped that time, I think he is gone now how ever !

Last edited:
I really hate to put it this way about the only way that people take notice is if the person is white or a tourist. We have two types of fish poachers one is just trying to feed his family the second type are not locals and they are doing commercial poaching, I do not have much sympathy for the second type.

One thing that surprises me is the fact these fisherman are on the water day and night some chest deep in water using dip nets. They slap the water with a paddle to drive the fish into the net. I would think that if I was a croc that would sound like a dinner bell to me.

One thing that surprises me is the fact these fisherman are on the water day and night some chest deep in water using dip nets. They slap the water with a paddle to drive the fish into the net. I would think that if I was a croc that would sound like a dinner bell to me.

There's a show called River Monster's where the host travels around the world looking for different kinds of large fish. On one particular episode he was in Africa, accompanying a couple of fisherman in a dugout canoe at night. They were checking their long lines and would smack the canoe with the oar every so often to "scare away the crocodiles". All of the fishermen did this but kept getting eaten by crocs. He came to the same conclusion as you.

I hope he was compensated fairly for getting into that canoe.

The fisherman was a young man early 20s young wife and child. He was just a local trying to feed his family. No compensation, zero! National Parks made the use of the traditional mokoro (dug out) illegal they thought that would stop some of the fish poaching. Now the fisherman have to rent the fiberglass canoes from a couple of local business's. Life in Africa is hard and harder for some than others. Think of the fear that man when he had to go out the second time, to see that his family has food. After he finished his fishing day which was probably at least 14hrs. He had a 8 kilometer walk uphill to his home.

How does that go? But by the grace of god goes me. Or something like that.

Last year there were reports of three different deaths on the Kusile River. All three I believe were women washing clothes rather than fishermen.

We did our best to help, set out a bait, my son killed the largest croc in that section of river.

Sporthunting is the solution for problem animal control in these situations. The largest animals are the most likely culprits, and their death can either provide safety, or their death can provide safety/trophy/revenue/sustainability.

Either way, problematic animals need to be managed and they must die.

Many many years ago when my dad was the only doctor around Mazabuka, he would travel around the bush clinics on a weekly basis

I was privileged to be able to accompany him when not at school

One of his medical orderlies asked for a couple of days off to go fishing

The request was declined as there was a shortage of staff

Chap went anyway

Whilst washing off fish scales from his hands, the orderly was grabbed by a croc which rotated, tearing the arm off at the shoulder

First croc attack I was to become aware of at the tender age of 8

j

The fisherman was a young man early 20s young wife and child. He was just a local trying to feed his family. No compensation, zero! National Parks made the use of the traditional mokoro (dug out) illegal they thought that would stop some of the fish poaching. Now the fisherman have to rent the fiberglass canoes from a couple of local business's. Life in Africa is hard and harder for some than others. Think of the fear that man when he had to go out the second time, to see that his family has food. After he finished his fishing day which was probably at least 14hrs. He had a 8 kilometer walk uphill to his home.

How does that go? But by the grace of god goes me. Or something like that.

I was referring to the TV host being compensated. Knowing he was getting into a soup bowl with the food itself ringing the dinner bell.

Got it

Yep, those crocs exhibit the classic signs of being habituated to man, did the croc farms that closed just turn the remaining crocs loose?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!