Crocodile records

Adam From Africa

AH member
Reaction score
Since I can remember, I have read everything I could find about crocodiles. Being an African, I’m partial to the Nile Crocodile. Stories of 7 meter crocodiles abound in the literature but never has such a monster actually been verifiably measured. Neither Salty nor Nile. I was interested to read here about the methods to measure crocodile trophies. “Between the pegs” and “over the curves”, the latter being the official RW and SCI yardstick. But some commentators have pointed out that “over the curves” would inevitably produce greater lengths than “between the pegs”. Some say you can reduce “over the curves” by at least 10% to estimate the actual “ between the pegs” length. So I checked out the publication of Adam Britton about his measurements of Lolong, supposedly the largest crocodile, a Salty, ever measured verifiably. He was tasked by the Guiness Book of Records and Lolong topped out at 6,17m, the official length now recorded. But lo and behold, that is a measurement “over the curves”. Britton asserts that he also measured Lolong snout to tail in a straight line on the ground and that measurement was only 1% less at 6,09m. Somebody had posted a picture on the AR forum of a croc his father took in Lake Chamo, just shy of 20ft. That would surely be comparable to Lolong and the great Salties. Reference is made to a Nile croc shot in the Semliki River in 1953 measuring 19’6” in a straight line. Could that have been a croc even bigger than Lolong? Watching those monsters in the Mara River swallowing wildebeest like hamburgers, I would give my front teeth to have the biggest one captured and measured for length and weight. I betcha he would be crowned king of all crocs. Anyone here with more information on super large crocodiles hunted in Africa?

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
On salties, I´ve read of one in Bujang Senang which measured 6,55m.

In 1903, Hans Besser reported a beast of 7.60m taken in the Mbaka River.

Certus

AH veteran
Reaction score
Last edited:

sambarhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Australia,Ireland,New Zealand,Sweden
The Pawloskis were pretty famous croc hunters based in Karumba Nth Qld. Kris the wife did most of the shooting.

Unfortunately any photos attached to any of the stories are usually of a diff croc from the Roper River.
I worked/lived in Karumba 25 years ago and the crocs there were very evident.

A snippet below,it did happen but whether the true length was accurately recorded well??

If you needed any reminders that this is still very much croc' country... in Henry Park adjacent to the Shire Council Offices, you will see a life size replica of the largest crocodile ever caught. This beast, affectionately nicknamed 'Krys the Savannah King', was shot on the MacArthur Bank of the Norman River in 1957, and measured a staggering 8.63 metres! Although I am usually reluctant to convert for our non-metric friends, this equates to just under 29 feet! If you stand next to the statue, it feels more like you're standing next to some sort of ancient dinosaur, and it's a sharp reminder to be careful on and around the waterways.

Krys Pawlowski gained fame slaying giant crocodiles. She's now concentrating on preservation, writes Jordan Baker from Mareeba, Queensland.

Forget Steve Irwin and Crocodile Dundee. Australia's most legendary crocodile hunter is a petite, Polish-born woman.

Krys Pawlowski wrote her name into the world record books 45 years ago when she shot an 8.63-metre crocodile in the Gulf of Carpentaria. It is believed to be the biggest crocodile ever measured.

Outback folklore remembers her as "One Shot Krys" - the north Queensland hunter and taxidermist who shot 5000 crocodiles and missed only three.

These days Krys is a 74-year-old wife and mother living quietly outside Mareeba, west of Cairns, with another celebrated hunter, her husband Ron.

Her sympathies now lie with conservation rather than killing, and if she had her time again, she would not have shot the now-famous crocodile as he lay on the banks of the Norman River

"I was really sorry I shot him, poor fellow," she said.

"He never woke up, he didn't know we were there. We couldn't move him, he was too big. He was the most beautiful animal," Krys said.

Adam From Africa

AH member
Reaction score
I’d take that one with an entire salt lick, personally.

Edit: Lolong is also a hybrid, so shouldn’t be used for any size records (although it’s certainly not the largest recorded.)
Certus, Lolong was a pedigree Saltwater croc captured in the wilds of the Philippines. Perhaps you’re thinking of Yai the hybrid kept in a crocodile farm in Thailand? Anyway, Lolong edged Yai by a few inches.

Certus

AH veteran
Reaction score
Certus, Lolong was a pedigree Saltwater croc captured in the wilds of the Philippines. Perhaps you’re thinking of Yai the hybrid kept in a crocodile farm in Thailand? Anyway, Lolong edged Yai by a few inches.

Im thinking of Utan, thanks for the correction :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
organicbuy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rickmt wrote on Justbryan's profile.
What is your new shorter rifle? Thanx Bryan !
raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!
Sarg wrote on Philippe's profile.
Hello Philippe, did you get my PM that I sent you earlier ?

Regards Mark